Are People Bugging You About the iPhone's Issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChocolateApple, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I am happy with my iPhone 4. I have not had anymore dropped calls from this phone as any other cell phones I've ever owned. But because of the hyped up news, when people see it in my hand, the once "Oh, that's an iPhone! How do you like it?" enthusiasm has been replaced with, "Oh, that's an iPhone. I heard it has bad reception, I heard this, I heard that."

This must be a dream come true to the anti-Apple and competition, but for those of us who own it, it sucks. These people know of the negatives only because of the news. They aren't the type who will do any research on their own. They aren't aware of Jobs' press conference. They simply associate the iPhone 4 with something negative and bombard owners with this perspective already embedded in their heads.

Has this happened to you? What's your response?

2. Es Paul macrumors member

Yeah. It's happening to me too.

But, I end up showing them how simple it works and how I have great reception (on mine at least) and then they change their perspective on it.

Then they ask how much and where they can order and how long it will take

Go figure

3. dagored macrumors 65816

Ditto

Used it all weekend at OU for Brew Week. Worked great - no dropped calls - fast 3G service - . My buddy remarked this morning, as we were leaving and some news show was talking about SJ press conference, I guess yours works fine. Yes, I replied - its the news media that does not work fine.

4. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Yea I get the same stuff - alot in elevators etc. Small talk kinda stuff. It's annoying but I can deal with it for 11 months I guess.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yeah, I get those questions from my co-workers. I just show them my phone with full bars (I do have an incipio case on it) and tell them my phone works great. Show them the screen, show them the front facing camera, some of the apps. They walk away impressed.

6. cowsrus macrumors 6502

At least you guys have it
    At 17 I made a deal with my dad and now im waiting for white, but the whole time he's saying, "you dont need the iPhone, its crap right now" and bugging me cause he thinks he understands all of the problems after seeing the 5 min segment on nbc

7. twigg macrumors member

Yeah, it happens a lot, especially regarding the reception issue. I tell them that it's annoying but that there is no way around it but a case. It's due to the design but otherwise it's a good phone (nothing is really different though, still an iPhone).

8. puggles macrumors regular

Just my dad...he calls me everytime he sees something in the news (almost everyday it seems).

9. fender57 macrumors 6502

Not really. Most of the non-tech savvy people I know are intrigued with the functionality and in some cases aren't really up on the whole antenna issue, they simply ask "ooh, can I check it out?". Some of the more tech-savvy people I know are genuinely interested in the device's actual features and say "ooh, can I check it out?" - a couple mention the antenna and ask about it but more in the vein of "is it true". Nobody's tried to death grip it but I usually have a bumper on it.

I notice each time I go into the Apple store the iPhone 4 displays are always packed with people checking them out.

10. reservedegotist macrumors regular

Hey at least I find in real life, people are a lot more rational about the sensationalist news. I really don't mind them asking; usually it's out of curiosity wondering "is it really as bad as they say?"

I just show them the phone, they get impressed, and they want to get one or move on with life.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not bugging. More curiosity than anything else. When it moves to teasing I play along then tell them with a case there is no issue. When I show them a hi-def movie or pics or a cool app or a facetime call the reception issue isn't mentioned again.

12. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Same thing happens with me. Yesterday I met up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while, and right after saying hello, then noticing my phone, they asked me all about the iPhone issues. I said it was BS, and that i hadn't experienced any dropped calls. They're all purchasing one ASAP :)

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No one has asked me that. Mostly I get, “Do you like the new iPhone?"

14. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Yes it is annoying

Painfully so. Droid owner in the office won't stop.

15. dels macrumors member

I am almost always asked about issues with the phone and hardly ever about the features.

My dad is the only one that has asked about the phone's features as he is thinking of picking one up as well. He did ask about the issues first though.

16. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I don't get bugged but when i texted one of my friends that i just got the new iPhone, his first response was "How bad are the reception issues?"

17. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Most people i know who have an iphone4 do not read tech blogs and guess what they said?

"Oh i have not noticed anything wrong with it. What is supposed to be wrong with it?"

I think most people are tying to replicate it too much and its become a bigger problem than it is.

I realise the death grip thing is real but how many people hold there phone with the palm of the hand grasped round the lower left corner?

18. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

If you hold your phone in your left hand, its pretty easy. Thats how ive always held my phones because for me it is just way more comfortable and secure.

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah im left handed too! I can drop bars but when i have taken calls there has been no drops or interference.

In all honesty the call quality is much better although the volume is a little lower than the 3gs at max volume but the noise cancelling woks well.

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Had mine since day 1, and use it openly as it has no case.

Have not had anyone approach me ....yet.

21. blinknfgkicks macrumors newbie

at least one person a day asks me about the antenna. Im surprised about how EVERYONE seems to know EVERYTHING about a phone they dont even own....lol

22. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Yup but then I say I use a case any way plus my phone is better and they sut up

23. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

With me people may ask about the antenna issue, but most want to play with it and are totally impressed by it. I have the "Gun Range" game on it that demonstrates the gyro on it and most guys are blown away by it. I sometimes have trouble getting it back.

I do only let people I trust play with it. Strangers only get to look.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup, people at work bug me daily ('Is your phone ok? I heard they have big problems!') and even my grandmother has asked me about it. Several members of my extended family have decided to skip this generation altogether, which sucks because I was looking forward to FaceTime ... :(

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

No if someone ever asked me I would beat them with the phone.