Are people CRAZY?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlvinNguyen, Mar 7, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

How can some people say this is not a MAJOR upgrade?! The technology that went into mass producing the iPad's retina display is INSANE! If you don't want to buy one, fine, but don't dismiss it as a major upgrade because it is. The screen alone is the reason to spend the extra $100 over an iPad2.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad2 now starts at $399. For the extra $100 I'll gladly take the upgraded graphics, camera, screen, and dictation :)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ahhh, got it.

I agree, 2048x1536 resolution is a revolution... :apple:

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't think it will hit me until I have the new Ipad side by side with my ipad2. The 3gs to 4 iphone was not really an upgrade to me because of the small screen size, I really don't use the iphone for the same things as the ipad. I think the impact will be much greater on the ipad.

I'll have to wait and see how many programs and how much of the internet takes advantage of it. I still have a ton of programs on my ipad which are in 2x iphone mode. I'm hoping there is a higher resolution touch sensor so we can draw in more detail though and maybe get thinner styli.

6. Signor S. macrumors member

Apple nailed it for me. Retina display, same price and battery life, dictation, 4G availability, need I say more? They could have charged an extra $50 more if they wanted, but they didn't. They could have chosen to add more to it, but they didn't and I love it anyway.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Different strokes for different folks. If I had an iPad 2 I probably wouldn't be in any hurry to upgrade either.

But I have an original iPad....so this feels like a pretty good upgrade for me.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

But it isn't necessarily worth $500 for someone to "UPGRADE" from their current iPad 2. Hence, to some it's not a major upgrade.

Now why the heck would you be this angry over the opinions of strangers?

9. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point - I don't think people have looked around to see the crappy android tablets that are around us. None of them could touch the iPad 2, much less "the new ipad".

10. matttye macrumors 601

Minor upgrade IMO.

I ask myself, if I bought it, would I use it differently to my iPad 2? The answer is a resounding "no," because it doesn't really have any new futures - only improvements.

I may consider buying one if iOS 6 brings something that makes it more worthwhile.

11. phillyred79 macrumors regular

For those who have an iPhone 4 or 4S and an iPad definitely will appreciate this upgrade.. To my eyes even on the iPhone the Retina display is sooo much crisper. If you think about it, your whole experience with an iPad besides touching it is looking at it!

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My new iPad is costing me $329. $829 - $500 selling my iPad 2.

Is the new iPad worth $329 to "upgrade" from XGA to HD+ and from 3G to 4G?

Ummmm, it kinda depends on my concept of worth and how deep a hole $329 leaves in my pocket. The answer will vary from person to person.

For ME, that screen resolution is CRAZY! I want it. :cool:

13. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm simply pointing out that people are undermining a major technological advancement. It's not a minor upgrade because you're basically looking at a 23-24 cinema display crammed into your ipad's screen. How is that not incredible is beyond me.

If someone upgrades from their iPad2, it would only cost them $100-$200 depending when they sell it. Not to mention they were able to use it for the last year. So yes, it's a major upgrade. I only lost $100 on my iPad because I sold it a month before the announcement.

14. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

It's not a major upgrade.

It's a SUPREME upgrade.

/thread

15. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I agree, major upgrade.

I still feel, however, that because the iPad sits between an iPhone and a Mac in terms of usage, its OS should too. A little more Lion-esque would do it some good.

I also still feel that there shouldn't be separate Wi-Fi and Cellular versions. Just make them tiered strictly on memory capacity. While this would certainly simplify the selection process, it'd probably significantly decrease their profits. So I can see why Apple wouldn't want to do this. But I disagree from a consumer standpoint.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

let the naysayers just go away...this new iPad is a great device and one I'm buying!! I don't care what somebody thinks really.

17. mrt209 macrumors 6502

For a second, I was disappointed too... until I realized how much of a difference the new display will make. I primarily bought the iPad 2 to read ebooks, but I never finished one book because the text always felt a bit fuzzy for me. With the retina display the text will look so much better, making everything easier on the eyes.

18. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like your style :cool::apple:

19. WARSTIN macrumors member

I think because its been pretty much well known for a long time now that this iPad would feature a 'retina' display, for some people this takes away the shine of it being a huge upgrade, which couldn't be further from the truth.

All these people saying '''meh iPad 2 screen is fine, not upgrading'' etc, id like to see if your opinion is the same when you actually see this new ipad screen in person..

I cant think of a possible bigger upgrade than the ridiculous spec screen that this new iPad has, after all, the iPad is just that, a screen. With this new display, everything you do on your iPad instantly becomes more enjoyable.

20. matttye macrumors 601

Better camera. Better screen. More processing cores. Faster Internet.

But nothing NEW. It's a minor upgrade.

21. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    What he said, and I'm an atheist.

22. matttye macrumors 601

I for one won't be looking at the new screen, that's just asking for trouble. I'll probably want the new iPad if I see it, but because there's nothing wrong with my current iPad I just won't go and see it!

23. Carouser macrumors 65816

This is an unreasonable standard by which to judge whether the iPad 2 is a major upgrade.

So is this! matttye's standards for 'major upgrade' are unreasonable.

24. urkel macrumors 68030

No. you just don't like it because it doesn't fit your standards. Something being "Major" anything is subjective.

(BTW. I ordered 3 already but I won't bother getting my aunt to risk her life selling her 6mo old iPad life on craigslist for half the cost just so she can get a screen better than the one she already likes.)