Are people still getting 5 series screens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natalia81, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

For those of you who have purchased an iPhone in the last couple of days, did you get one with the 5 series screen? It looks like I have to replace my iPhone and hoping that I will get another 5 series screen.

Thanks.

2. TheotherJoseph macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

I took my iPhone (5 series) to the local apple store for a exchange this past Sunday and received another 5 series

3. MacJediDude macrumors member

MacJediDude

5 screen replacement

last week I exchanged my 5 screen and was lucky enough to get a 5 in exchange ( Albany NY store )

:D

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I got my iPhone a little over a week ago and got a 5 series screen.

5. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

how do you know which screen you have? Is it in the serial number?

6. lmcintyre macrumors regular

7. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

It seems like apple is using diffrent manufacturers for the iPhone screen and diffrences in contrast and brightness can be seen between the screens. One manufacturers screen is affected by the polka dot problem as well. I have no idea how to check which screen I have though.

8. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I had a 5 series, replaced it, and got a 7 series, YUK.

I'm taking it back for 5 series.

9. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

got my iPhone yesterday and it's a 7 but looks better than fine.

10. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I got mine last week today, and its a 5 series

11. beate macrumors regular

type *3001#12345#* on numeric keypad
    It's the last item - versions. That will show firware (firmware?) version and LCD ID. 5 series is good, 7 series not so good.
    The problems are well covered on another thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=328862

12. meagain macrumors 68030

I was just gifted a 5 which was bought Sat. We also have A recently bought 7. IMO, the 7 is better! Easier to read, more vivid, rich w/better blacks/whites.

I have no clue why some prefer the pale washed out 5.

EDIT: The 5 was bought from an AT&T store. Tacoma area.

13. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

same, my 7 looks GREAT

14. aweber5389 macrumors newbie

I am agree the 7 screen does look alot better, i think the glass is a little smoother too!

15. gootz macrumors member

gootz

I just checked mine it starts with a 7. It looks good to me I would not have known there was an issue if I didn't read this.

16. minhaferzz macrumors newbie

Bought mine Monday and received a 7 series and it looks great. Is the grid problem supposed to be immediately apparent?

17. mikahopity macrumors member

I don't understand all the "YUK" comments about the 7 series. I had a 7, phone went dead, replaced it for another 7. Both screens have been gorgeous.

My buddy has a 5 series, and comparing them side by side looking at the same graphic, we both agree that the 7 is far superior.

Polka dot issue aside (neither of mine had the problem) I think the 7 series is far superior.

18. OC513 macrumors 6502

I received a 7 series about a week after launch......thought it was great, no checkerboards, no white dots.....just pristine......read this forum and found out the problems so I checked my screen thoroughly in all kinds of light.....still perfect.....this past weekend I was at a party and a friend who bought on launch day had his phone with him so I checked the screen.....he had a 5 and my screen was noticeably better.......my blacks were better and his 5 series colors seemed washed out when held next to mine......he is now pissed and wants to exchange for a 7 series screen!!!!! ;)

19. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

I have a 7, i have never seen a 5 in person, so I can't compare.

20. sirnick4 macrumors newbie

I had to return my iPhone (7 series) because it would freeze anytime it was connected to the internet via WiFi.

I received another 7 series today.

21. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

I think this thread goes to show that it really doesn't matter which series screen you get. There are going to be good and bad screens that end up in the phones regardless. Seems to me the majority of people are being overly anal. I have a 7 series screen and it's fine.

22. AaronHeth macrumors member

Apple doesn't skimp out on parts. If they're using two manufacturers, they are both good manufacturers. The polka dot problem aside, they are both obviously good screens, as seen in this post.

I have a 7 series and have tried as hard as I possibly can to find those dots, and I can't. My brightness can be outrageous, to the point that at almost all times its down to about 10%, and my colors are gorgeous. Anytime I see photos of the two together, the 5 series ends up looking washed out, so I'm very happy with my screen. People shouldn't worry so much and just be happy they have a well built, very nice phone, no matter the parts! :) A part in an Apple product, no matter the part, is still an Apple product.

23. 103734 Guest

You guys say 7 is better and then this picture says 5 is better.

[​IMG]

I thought that they just fixed the problem with the 7 series and they are the same as the 5 now, idk i have a 5 I think, my serial is 5755136 and I dont know about a washed out screen but mine looks great to me its very bright and very vivid, but idk though, I should be heading to the apple store to get a apple care plan so ill compare them there

24. calculus Guest

calculus

Bear in mind that's only an example of one '5' compared with one '7'. I'd imagine that there is as much variation within types as between them.

25. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

I just received my phone -- it shipped directly from China -- and it's a 5 series. No dead pixels or anything. The joys of being alive.