Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
For those of you who have purchased an iPhone in the last couple of days, did you get one with the 5 series screen? It looks like I have to replace my iPhone and hoping that I will get another 5 series screen.

Thanks.

TheotherJoseph

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

I took my iPhone (5 series) to the local apple store for a exchange this past Sunday and received another 5 series

MacJediDude

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
5 screen replacement

last week I exchanged my 5 screen and was lucky enough to get a 5 in exchange ( Albany NY store )

:D

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
It seems like apple is using diffrent manufacturers for the iPhone screen and diffrences in contrast and brightness can be seen between the screens. One manufacturers screen is affected by the polka dot problem as well. I have no idea how to check which screen I have though.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I was just gifted a 5 which was bought Sat. We also have A recently bought 7. IMO, the 7 is better! Easier to read, more vivid, rich w/better blacks/whites.

I have no clue why some prefer the pale washed out 5.

EDIT: The 5 was bought from an AT&T store. Tacoma area.

gootz

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
I just checked mine it starts with a 7. It looks good to me I would not have known there was an issue if I didn't read this.

minhaferzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2007
Bought mine Monday and received a 7 series and it looks great. Is the grid problem supposed to be immediately apparent?

mikahopity

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
I don't understand all the "YUK" comments about the 7 series. I had a 7, phone went dead, replaced it for another 7. Both screens have been gorgeous.

My buddy has a 5 series, and comparing them side by side looking at the same graphic, we both agree that the 7 is far superior.

Polka dot issue aside (neither of mine had the problem) I think the 7 series is far superior.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
I received a 7 series about a week after launch......thought it was great, no checkerboards, no white dots.....just pristine......read this forum and found out the problems so I checked my screen thoroughly in all kinds of light.....still perfect.....this past weekend I was at a party and a friend who bought on launch day had his phone with him so I checked the screen.....he had a 5 and my screen was noticeably better.......my blacks were better and his 5 series colors seemed washed out when held next to mine......he is now pissed and wants to exchange for a 7 series screen!!!!! ;)

sirnick4

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
I had to return my iPhone (7 series) because it would freeze anytime it was connected to the internet via WiFi.

I received another 7 series today.

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
I think this thread goes to show that it really doesn't matter which series screen you get. There are going to be good and bad screens that end up in the phones regardless. Seems to me the majority of people are being overly anal. I have a 7 series screen and it's fine.

AaronHeth

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2005
Savannah, Georgia
Apple doesn't skimp out on parts. If they're using two manufacturers, they are both good manufacturers. The polka dot problem aside, they are both obviously good screens, as seen in this post.

I have a 7 series and have tried as hard as I possibly can to find those dots, and I can't. My brightness can be outrageous, to the point that at almost all times its down to about 10%, and my colors are gorgeous. Anytime I see photos of the two together, the 5 series ends up looking washed out, so I'm very happy with my screen. People shouldn't worry so much and just be happy they have a well built, very nice phone, no matter the parts! :) A part in an Apple product, no matter the part, is still an Apple product.

Apr 10, 2007
You guys say 7 is better and then this picture says 5 is better.

iPhoneScreens_500.jpg

I thought that they just fixed the problem with the 7 series and they are the same as the 5 now, idk i have a 5 I think, my serial is 5755136 and I dont know about a washed out screen but mine looks great to me its very bright and very vivid, but idk though, I should be heading to the apple store to get a apple care plan so ill compare them there

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
I just received my phone -- it shipped directly from China -- and it's a 5 series. No dead pixels or anything. The joys of being alive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.