Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I just checked mine it starts with a 7. It looks good to me I would not have known there was an issue if I didn't read this.

2nd. Mine gives me no problems, so I doubt if I'll even check the version.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
SuperSteve - I dissagree that in your pic the 5 is better. See the top area? The 7 is nicely blended/shaded. The 5 shows basically a stripe. It should be a nice graduated fade/blend. Look at identical photos on each phone of something that has detail. Maybe the tree frog wallpaper. I think you'll find more detail in the 7's pics. I find text harder to read on my 5.

I do hope that people aren't freeking out about the other's posts/threads saying the 7 suck. I think they have it a**-backwards and are barking up the wrong tree.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
SuperSteve - I dissagree that in your pic the 5 is better. See the top area? The 7 is nicely blended/shaded. The 5 shows basically a stripe. It should be a nice graduated fade/blend. Look at identical photos on each phone of something that has detail. Maybe the tree frog wallpaper. I think you'll find more detail in the 7's pics. I find text harder to read on my 5.

I do hope that people aren't freeking out about the other's posts/threads saying the 7 suck. I think they have it a**-backwards and are barking up the wrong tree.

that's your opinion, and that's cool.

however I personally( and a lot of other people , apparently) prefer the 5*** screen.

To my eyes it has more contrast, the blacks are better and there is no white dot grid.

i had to return my first 5*** because of other issues, and just now i have been able to get another 5*** back, after a couple of 7***.

So, as you can see, it is a matter of taste, not of being right or wrong.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I'm worried they are shipping 5's again and I won't be able to get a 7!

Phoneorp - So are you happy with your new 5? Is this one a keeper or is it back to the drawing board for you?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Phoneorpda - is it difficult to get a swap done? Did you have to set up an appt with a Genious or were you just able to go to the counter? I called the store and was told I'd need it inspected by a Genious first to do a swap and they determine if it's ok to swap or not.

jellis

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
I have a 5 and my friend has a 7. We both agree that the 5 is better. I think all of you with the 7 are upset that you just bought "the best phone ever" and there is one that is a little better, the 5.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
I'm worried they are shipping 5's again and I won't be able to get a 7!

Phoneorp - So are you happy with your new 5? Is this one a keeper or is it back to the drawing board for you?

I am happy with it!

However I have a dead pixel.

To be honest it bothers me a lot less than the white dots on my old 7, so for now i think i am ok.

If there would be a way to know i could get another 5*** i would probably swap it again, but for now i am going to keep it.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
Phoneorpda - is it difficult to get a swap done? Did you have to set up an appt with a Genious or were you just able to go to the counter? I called the store and was told I'd need it inspected by a Genious first to do a swap and they determine if it's ok to swap or not.

It depends what the problem is.

most of the problems i had weren't related to the 7*** screen.

i did however send it back to apple specifying the faact that i though my current screen (7***) was inferior to my girlfriend's (5***) and asked if it would have been possible to get a 5*** instead.

that's how i got a 5*** as a replacement.

It was done through apple care, not the store.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I was a bit upset that I was stuck with a 7 screen until I went to the apple store and compared it to a 5 screen. Now I'm relieved that I got the 7. Better blacks and brighter whites. The 5 screen was washed out.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I only wish we could pool together and puzzle out a way to determine 5's vs. 7's from the box. The only numbers I see different are: SN, ICCID, IMEI

My 7 phone shows a 7 at the end of the ICCID #. The 5 shows a 41. There must be some numbering in here somewhere that indicates something. IDK what numbers are safe for us to post publically.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
I only wish we could pool together and puzzle out a way to determine 5's vs. 7's from the box. The only numbers I see different are: SN, ICCID, IMEI

My 7 phone shows a 7 at the end of the ICCID #. The 5 shows a 41. There must be some numbering in here somewhere that indicates something. IDK what numbers are safe for us to post publically.

Unfortunately there is no way to find out from the box.

The "easiest" way is from the activation screen, by dialing the number.

crobinson721

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
I purchased my 4GB from an AT&T story in D.C. on July 20... got the 5 series screen. Nothing wrong with it thus far, I think it looks great.

Apr 10, 2007

that's your opinion, and that's cool.

however I personally( and a lot of other people , apparently) prefer the 5*** screen.

To my eyes it has more contrast, the blacks are better and there is no white dot grid.

i had to return my first 5*** because of other issues, and just now i have been able to get another 5*** back, after a couple of 7***.

So, as you can see, it is a matter of taste, not of being right or wrong.
I aggree I think the 5 looks better, it seems more vivid and has more "pop" if you ask me, idk both screens are good in there own respect.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
exchanged mine the other day, got a 5 series, the first was a 7. I like the 5 much more, not as bright to me, but definitely seems like it has a better contrast.

And let the record show, I never turn up my brightness (other than to test it out) ever.

I think its a matter of preference, but so far I'm a fan of the 5 series.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
The 5 vs 7 threads just seem funny to me.

Some say 7's have bad colors but better contrast. Others say it is that way for 5's.

I just don't see one standard out of all these threads. If people never knew what number they had I don't think it would be an issue.

jroo80

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
can you find out which one you have with a prepaid plan because everytime i try i get "error performing request. No network service"

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
It seems everyone is now getting 5 series - right? Dang.
Wish I could trade one of you. I want a 7. I'm in Chicagoland.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007

Some say 7's have bad colors but better contrast. Others say it is that way for 5's.

I just don't see one standard out of all these threads. If people never knew what number they had I don't think it would be an issue.

Seriously. There's just too much back and forth about this that I can't tell which is better (if there is a difference at all). All I know is that when I look at my screen it is gorgeous. Just to appease myself I compared the color and detail from an original photo I took recently and the same photo sync'ed to my iPhone. Both photos - on my iPhone, and on my Samsung LCD, look equally crisp, bright and beautiful, with about equal color and sharpness. And that's all I really care about :p

Apr 10, 2007
Seriously. There's just too much back and forth about this that I can't tell which is better (if there is a difference at all). All I know is that when I look at my screen it is gorgeous. Just to appease myself I compared the color and detail from an original photo I took recently and the same photo sync'ed to my iPhone. Both photos - on my iPhone, and on my Samsung LCD, look equally crisp, bright and beautiful, with about equal color and sharpness. And that's all I really care about :p

The answer is very clear if you read the thread clear enough.

whatever screen you have is the best, if you have a 5 then its the best and 7 sucks. If you have a 7 its the best and then the 5 sucks.

Case Closed

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

rollingstart said:

yeah, but what is it 5 or a 7? Ya know you wanna know. :)

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

yeah, but what is it 5 or a 7? Ya know you wanna know. :)

LOL I'm really tempted to :). But I know for sure if I find out I'll start going crazy like the rest of these people!

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
:) Well we have both and both of us prefer the 7. I also checked my photos on both iphones, as well as my 24" iMac. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.