Are people still worried about their LG screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iViking, Nov 11, 2012.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

I never noticed burn in on my first rmbp at first, but it was there alright and started to bother me.

I was past the exchange period but decided to get another rmbp in the hopes of getting the so-called "superior" Samsung screen. Luckily I got a Samsung screen second time around and it exhibits no burn-in. Had I gotten another LG with the issue I would have just returned it and stopped there.

So I was just wondering, are people still desperately exchanging their rmbps with LG screens for the rmbps with Samsung displays, going through 3, 4, sometimes 5 computers? I can't imagine going through the hassle. Now I have to sell my other rmbp with the LG screen but I think it was worth it for one attempt and a better display on a computer I will keep for a while.

What did all of you do about the dreaded LG/Samsung display issue?

2. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

LG = IR
    Samsung = Burned Pixels

Choose your way.

3. Eriksrocks macrumors member

Lucky me, I have both IR and stuck pixels on my LG panel. :rolleyes:

4. hollowplayer macrumors regular

just bought one yesterday came with LG, ran retention test for 20 minutes. No problem at all, hope it wont show in a few weeks.

5. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Apple is replacing the displays even if you have one burned pixel (that you actually can see, which in most cases it's not one dead/stuck pixel but a cluster of them on the same area).

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

I had one Samsung with physical damage to the screen and 2 LG screens with IR. The first LG actually had IR on the screen when I unboxed it and it never faded.

But you're right it's a waste of time so I bought something else.

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

Had Apple replace my LG screen with IR. Then I got back my rMBP with a Samsung screen... after 1 try. Not sure why anyone would have to go and exchange a whole computer...

I think it's worth noting that many others and I have found that it takes about 3 months or less for IR to show up on our LG screens.

I was a skeptic at first, but mine showed IR after exactly 3 months.

8. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I've just been keeping an eye on mine. If it gets bad (not even noticeable in real use situation right now) then ill contact Apple. Not one bit worried about it, I'm confused why people are.

9. Hpye macrumors 6502

there is no problem using LG screen in "NORMAL" use, unless you try to do that stupid test for 20 min. It is like you are trying to find the problem in order to find the problem.

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

It most certainly does not take 20 min for IR to kick in. A lot of people are now seeing it barely takes a minute or two now. Not good.

11. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

12. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

Well obviously you don't suffer the problem. It doesn't take some PATTERN test to find the issues. Regular web browsing does it for me.

So please don't spout nonsense. The issue is very very real, I'm quite glad you don't suffer from IR(Do you even actually own the rMBP). Although many of us do, and it also took about 3 months for it to appear on my LG screen.

13. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I have yet to see someone post a retention pic that is not on a dark background. I noticed slight image retention my new 13" rMBP, but only if I switch to a solid dark background and not in any situation that would actually affect my use or enjoyment of the machine. I'm wondering if it's just normal and if I should hang onto it, use a normal desktop picture, and never think about it again.

14. Hpye, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

Hpye macrumors 6502

Do you even own a rMBP? Yes indeed:apple:

Attached Files:

15. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I really hope Apple will have this IR issue sorted out by end of this December. I think I waited long enough for all the bugs to clear off the 15" RMBP. I hope when I make my purchase I do not encounter IR with my LG screen. I actually want the LG as it looks more brighter, deeper and crisp then Samsung panel.

16. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Don't forget Apple has already made the "silent tweak" to the 15" RMBP for heat issues. Only time can tell about the IR issues!

17. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I had a LG display too in mine, as some of you also says, the first three months where perfect, but then the IR and dead pixels came, so i have sent it to a repair center right now, and already got a message that they have ordered a new display for me, so im hoping i can have it on friday :)

18. hollowplayer macrumors regular

Ir is real, left my newly bought for two hours didnt set to sleep. Came back with safari CNN shadow on the background for five minutes. Went to apple store returned it without second thought. Maybe buy one next year when they clear out the problem with lg screen.

19. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Even the AnandTech review of the 13" rMBP acknowledges the issue. My 15" is on order and I'll definitely keep an eye out for any sign of IR during my 14-day return period. Not sure what I'll do if it's an LG screen just yet.

20. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

21. dabbler macrumors member

My retina macbook pro (ordered on launch day, lg screen) was fine until around a week ago.

It now has very very noticeable image retention only after a window being static for two minutes. It takes more than 10 minutes for this image retention to clear up.

Im booked in with a genius appointment this Saturday. This is unacceptable, especially after only two minutes of a static image - what's even more worrying is that it didn't have any image retention until after a few months of normal use....

22. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I haven't heard about the "silent tweak", could you please explain this? Is it a design or hardware change or just a software upgrade?

23. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

I think hes talking about this update but I cant be sure.

I havent updated it myself as Im currently working in a different country and cannot risk changing my setup although im eager to try it as i think im experiencing some of the problems it will fix, like excessive heat!

24. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

My new BTO rMBP is due for delivery on Thursday and have decided that if it has an LG screen it's being returned same day -never mind running tests etc. My experience with LG screens over the years has been dismal. LG may be able to produce and development cutting edge displays but they cannot seem to manufacture them on mass as well as Samsung can.