Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Just curious, as this was posted in the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum and promptly moved to the Wateland for no apparent reason. It's not just this post, there seems to be many where those who don't conform to the fanboy mentality of Apple are penalized on this site.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Some, if not many, would say that often enough there's more anti-Apple sentiment in many posts/threads than pro-Apple.
Fair enough, when it comes to Apple products. But why have a section for "Alternatives" if you're not going to allow it?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I would say that thread was removed because it was useless, inflammatory and didn't contribute anything (was just a graphic)
In addition, there are TONS of threads already criticizing the headphone jack removal where this graphic could have been posted for attention and laughs (ha, ha, look at that, awesome)

I saw it when it was first posted and my immediate reaction was, 'wasteland'

As stated above, there is an overwhelming number of anti-apple posts on the board which make this argument ridiculous

Just my 2¢

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fair enough, when it comes to Apple products. But why have a section for "Alternatives" if you're not going to allow it?
What's not allowed? A lot of discussion about alternatives to Apple products goes on there.

Reactions: Weaselboy

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I would say that thread was removed because it was useless, inflammatory and didn't contribute anything (was just a graphic)
In addition, there are TONS of threads already criticizing the headphone jack removal where this graphic could have been posted for attention and laughs (ha, ha, look at that, awesome)

I saw it when it was first posted and my immediate reaction was, 'wasteland'

As stated above, there is an overwhelming number of anti-apple posts on the board which make this argument ridiculous

Just my 2¢

I just took a quick look at the thread in question, and I couldn't have written it any better myself.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
I just took a quick look at the thread in question, and I couldn't have written it any better myself.
Since there are already "tons of threads' I guess mine was the one the went over the top then? I own practically every Apple product ever made and still saw the humor in that, too bad everyone's so uptight about it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since there are already "tons of threads' I guess mine was the one the went over the top then? I own practically every Apple product ever made and still saw the humor in that, too bad everyone's so uptight about it.
Sounds like it's likely simpler than all that and mostly just fell in the category of the kinds of things that item 2 covers in the "Things Not to Do" section of the forum rules at https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201265337-Forum-Rules

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
There are posts in alternatives that are 100% against Apple. So, yes. Yours just happened to be reported and the mods decided it was against the rules. It isn't about persecuting people for not liking Apple, otherwise a lot of people and a lot of posts would be removed.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
No. Your thread was pointless and added clutter to the forum. It really deserved to be moved to the wasteland. If it had been a post in one of the gazillion other threads on the topic, it would likely have gone pretty much unnoticed.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
As per the privacy policy we don't comment on specific moderation in public posts (we're happy to discuss it with the user involved via the contact form). I haven't looked at the post in question, but I can say a few general things.

If one post is removed and a similar post remains somewhere in the forums, chances are we simply didn't see it and no one reported it. It's not selective moderation.

Image-only posts fall almost always fall under the "frivolous" rule.

It's fine for posts not to be 100% pro-Apple (or even directly critical of Apple), as long as they're posted within the framework of the forum rules. That means for example no negative personal comments about users, no posting comments simply to rile up other users, and keeping the discussion constructive and civil. Discussions would be boring in the long run if critical comments weren't allowed!

I understand that the rules can sometimes seem uptight, and nothing is perfect. But given the number and variety of users on this forum, I think the rules do allow quite a bit of personal expression.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope it explains a bit at least.

Reactions: 44267547

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
To imply the post was wastelanded due to a behind-the-scenes 'Pro-Apple' conspiracy is utterly delusional. Frankly, it screams of a bruised ego.

The post was nonsensical. That's why it got deleted, regardless of its content. It's as simple as that. Nothing more to it.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
To imply the post was wastelanded due to a behind-the-scenes 'Pro-Apple' conspiracy is utterly delusional. Frankly, it screams of a bruised ego.

The post was nonsensical. That's why it got deleted, regardless of its content. It's as simple as that. Nothing more to it.
It's also 100% true, many just don't like that fact. It was posted in a forum directly related to the topic as well, we can debate the contents of the post all day long, in fact that should be encouraged, but why have a forum for "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" where you aren't allowed to post Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
but why have a forum for "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" where you aren't allowed to post Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices?

You are allowed to post stuff there. Plenty of people do. You can post paragraphs of what you hate about Apple. Just look at half the posts on the threads on the main pages. People jump onto the smallest issue to get their $0.02 in about Apple being useless. They don't get removed.

What you posted was a GIF of a headphone jack. "Android exclusive, hurr hurr."

If you posted something about reasons why Apple removed the headphone jack... or if you posted about why the jack is important to you... or even if you said "I'm sticking with Android for the headphone jack". Heck, even if you wrote anything vaguely encouraging discussion, with that GIF, it wouldn't have been wastelanded.

I'm sure, deep down, you know why it was wastelanded. You are being deliberately pedantic; out of stubbornness or pride, I couldn't say.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
You are allowed to post stuff there. Plenty of people do. You can post paragraphs of what you hate about Apple. Just look at half the posts on the threads on the main pages. People jump onto the smallest issue to get their $0.02 in about Apple being useless. They don't get removed.

What you posted was a GIF of a headphone jack. "Android exclusive, hurr hurr."

If you posted something about reasons why Apple removed the headphone jack... or if you posted about why the jack is important to you... or even if you said "I'm sticking with Android for the headphone jack". Heck, even if you wrote anything vaguely encouraging discussion, with that GIF, it wouldn't have been wastelanded.

I'm sure, deep down, you know why it was wastelanded. You are being deliberately pedantic; out of stubbornness or pride, I couldn't say.
You couldn't say because you have no clue but by all means, be as presumptuous as you like. Deep down I know that arguing the merits of the headphone jack has many here fed up, your blatant disregard for the fact that it is now truly an Android Exclusive doesn't make it any less true, it just makes you a little more defensive.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You couldn't say because you have no clue but by all means, be as presumptuous as you like. Deep down I know that arguing the merits of the headphone jack has many here fed up, your blatant disregard for the fact that it is now truly an Android Exclusive doesn't make it any less true, it just makes you a little more defensive.
Eric.

You're normally quite reasonable on here. But if you started a thread that was just a GIF, with no actual conversation behind hit, why couldn't that have gone as just another post in the dozens of headphone jack threads spanning hundreds of pages at this point?

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Eric.

You're normally quite reasonable on here. But if you started a thread that was just a GIF, with no actual conversation behind hit, why couldn't that have gone as just another post in the dozens of headphone jack threads spanning hundreds of pages at this point?
To be fair, posts with gifs/memes with little to no contextual content are posted all the time, everyone here would concede that. This one is singled out and it's clearly because people are bitter over the debate. Any reason we can't be proud Apple owners and still have a still have good laugh at their expense from time to time?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
To be fair, posts with gifs/memes with little to no contextual content are posted all the time, everyone here would concede that.

True, there are loads of those posts around.

This one is singled out and it's clearly because people are bitter over the debate.

No, it's because it started a thread with absolutely nothing else to contribute. You must be able to appreciate the difference. If it was posted as a comment in a thread, it wouldn't have been deleted...

Reactions: Weaselboy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To be fair, posts with gifs/memes with little to no contextual content are posted all the time, everyone here would concede that. This one is singled out and it's clearly because people are bitter over the debate. Any reason we can't be proud Apple owners and still have a still have good laugh at their expense from time to time?
Seems plenty of posts that are just memes and not much more often get removed, and more so those that start threads with nothing else essentially. Doesn't really seem there is any singling out or anything else that's involved (aside from perhaps singling out those types of posts that fall under what I mentioned earlier as the likely thing behind it all at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ro-apple-allowed-at-mr.1993589/#post-23370085).

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
True, there are loads of those posts around.

No, it's because it started a thread with absolutely nothing else to contribute. You must be able to appreciate the difference. If it was posted as a comment in a thread, it wouldn't have been deleted...
So a comment has less weight than a topic? What dictates that is obviously subjective to the reader. Had this post not been reported, it likely wouldn't have ended up being trashed. What's to differentiate whether one wouldn't reported the initial post as opposed to a comment?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You can in an existing thread, posting a GIF isn't a way to start a new thread that plenty of others are already covering.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Seems plenty of posts that are just memes and not much more often get removed, and more so those that start threads with nothing else essentially. Doesn't really seem there is any singling out or anything else that's involved (aside from perhaps singling out those types of posts that fall under what I mentioned earlier as the likely thing behind it all at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ro-apple-allowed-at-mr.1993589/#post-23370085).
Fair point, it's likely the post was reported and whether or not it's acted upon is really up to the moderator who dealt with the report. It's really just subject to that person's take on it, in the end that's all it is. The headphone jack is a sore subject here so it's no surprise. That said, I appreciate the mods letting me air my grievances with this post. I've always found them to be fair that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: NT1440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.