Are Retina MacBook Pro's screens fixed now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seanrichard, Oct 13, 2012.

1. seanrichard macrumors newbie

Wanting to place a order for a MacBook Pro 15 inch retina but wondering if it's a safe buy with all the screen issues people are talking about.

2. KevinKristensen macrumors newbie

I have some problems with retention on my Retina MBP with a LG screen. But Apple won't do anything about it because retention is excepted on an IPS-panel. So as of right now, Apple will not exchange my RMBP.

Good luck to you. Hope you win the Lottery and get a RMBP with samsung screen!

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Oh lord, there's nothing wrong with the rMBP.

4. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

5. Michason macrumors newbie

Neither here. Only problem is occasional crashes when viewing screensavers, but I dont think that has anything to do with the actual screen.

6. Josh220 macrumors regular

The units selling now are identical to the units at the time of release.

Place your order, and enjoy. If you happen to be unlucky enough to get a defective unit, replace it for a good one.

7. moxxey macrumors regular

If you come on a forum looking for feedback on a potential purchase, you'll nearly always find issues. That's why forums exist. Sure you get a few threads with users praising their purchase, but mostly people only take the time to post, when they have a problem.

For some users, they can't see through this and think there are tons of issues with a particular product. The number of times users have bought a product we've rated 5-star in a recent review, then had doubts over their purchase, and direct us to a forum post citing this as backing for why they should get a refund "look! other users also agree this program is rubbish!". They don't understand that if you go searching for issues, issues will be found.

For the record, I've had zero issues with my rMBP and I bought it on release. Sure, there are a few minor problems - some lag on certain websites, issues with 10.8.0/10.8.1 battery performance, but these are minor and every product has issues. My old 13" MBP used to get very hot playing videos, whereas this rMBP takes them it its stride, thanks to the faster quad-core processor.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no issues with my screen and I ordered the rMBP fairly early (not on release day but shortly there after)

9. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I had an early Samsung screen and had to exchange it for a new one, waiting for that as we speak.

10. drambuie macrumors 6502a

According to the front page iMac rumor, Apple will be making silent tweaks to the 15" rMBP, one involving improving heat dissipation.

11. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

So I guess the 4 rMBP/7 replacement screens I got all had "no problems". It must also have been a coincidence that they were all LG and the first Samsung screen I got there were no problems. :rolleyes:

Must also be coincidence that so many users can demonstrate IR on their LG panels but can't do it on their Samsung panels.

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What was your problem?

13. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Some, not all, had image retention problems w LG screens.

14. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Was it a show stopper? Or are people being OCD about it?

It's understandable that it's a $2,300 machine, but still.

15. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

For $2300+ it would be a show stopper for me.

16. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

No image retention on my LG screen. Just stunning, rich colors, incredible blacks, and the sharpest images I've ever seen. And believe me, I've stared at it closely many times looking for it. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't even know a problem existed.

17. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Same here, just enjoy it.

18. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No I'm just saying it would be for me lol. My rmbp is perfect too, I love mine!

19. Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

When is that update expected to come?

20. RealEyes macrumors regular

21. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I guess this is what you meant...

"The report also seems to suggest that Apple will be tweaking the 15-inch model to address a few technical issues such as heat dissipation, but these changes will apparently be made behind the scenes and not be presented to consumers as an updated model."

I wonder when this will take a affect?

22. Desafinado macrumors newbie

I've had mine for over a month now, no problems here, and that's with an LG screen.

23. Tritons macrumors 6502

I have rMBP since launch and it has LG screen. Have no problems with screen what so ever. Therefore your argument is invalid.

24. DJTJ macrumors regular

just got a rmbp yesterday. So far, love it. Pretty sure i got a samsung screen

25. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Defective design and/or high probability of out-of-spec manufacturing leading to 7 replacement LG screens in a row which repeatably demonstrates IR straight-out-of-the-box.

----------

More likely explanation is that you do not know what you are looking for with Image Retention.