Are the 2010 MBP's more buggy than previous ones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dizzydot, Jun 19, 2010.

1. dizzydot macrumors member

dizzydot

Hi all,

Why is it when I've finally waited for the BTS promotion, got together enough money and I'm just about to click the "buy" button that I start to read seemingly more than usual "problems with 2010 MBP" threads on the boards :confused: :(

Is it just me being paranoid and worrying that I'm gonna get a dud and regret spending my hard earned cash, or does Apples quality control seem to be slipping?

I know that on boards like this you always get people with problems (no insult intended!:D) but it just seems to be more recently.

I guess I just need a bit of reassurance before hitting that button, so please let me know of some good experiences of 2010 MBP's (13" in particular).

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll find people that think such-and-such version is "more buggy" than such-and-such older version. Every revision has problems, some serious, some not. As far as can be told, so far the 2010 MBPs are fairly solid.

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Only going from personal experience but no bugginess so far on mine, only issue I've had so far was it didn't restart itself when I updated to 10.6.4 and I had to turn off holding the power button. Was fine on reboot though.

There's always a chance you're gonna get a dud when buying any electronics, and lets face it computers are probably the most complex electronics that'll you'll find in a home. Just go for it, my i7 is hands down the best computer I've ever owned.

4. Venturo macrumors newbie

No bug for me.

Been using my 15" i5 Anti Glare for 3 weeks now.
    Perfect screen, not a single freeze..100% satisfied so far.

Keep in mind that boards are mostly used to complain..

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Zero problem for me, almost 2 months and this is the best MacBook I've ever owned...

6. apple.gr macrumors regular

And for me no problem! I have it for a month now and it's just perfect

7. brianfast macrumors regular

It seems the quality control is really bad. There are lots of reports of the lids not lining up with the rest of the body... I had one the was misaligned, and got it replaced with another one... but it was also slightly misaligned... something isn't right here...

8. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

There is no doubt that Apple's quality control has slipped tremendously...
    But they still have the best designs on hardware and software.
    If you choose not go Apple because of quality control issues, who do you go to?

9. brianfast macrumors regular

Asus U30JC

10. dizzydot thread starter macrumors member

dizzydot

Thanks for the replies so far. :)

Still seems to be a 50:50 split on good and bad experiences so-far though :(

Am I best waiting a couple of months for them to sort out all these niggles or is it not going to be any difference in that short space of time?

Have to say I am itching to get my hands on the mac now though, although I could wait a bit if worth while.

Thoughts?

Thanks again.

11. phil123 macrumors member

phil123

Hi, I'm sort in the same boat as you. I'd kill to buy a 15" anti glare hi res right now but 2 things stop me:

1 - I believe the next upgrade, in the late fall perhaps, will offer better power/gpu switching which certainly seems to be a problem on the new ones, at least for some (look at the very long thread on freezing issues).

2 - The mbp I really want is not made yet by Apple. I want a 13" high res matte. I think there is a decently good chance that this fall will see that sort of configuration in either an upgraded 13" or the new mac book air.

Having said all that, it kills me everytime I am inside an apple store as those new 15" high res mbp's constantly seem to be calling to me.

I hope I can hold out another 4 or 5 months!

12. knweiss macrumors newbie

No problems whatsoever with my 2010 MBP 13". I'm very happy with my choice.

13. toffa813 macrumors regular

I have the 15" i7 and no problems here. I love it. But every version has its issues and there will be more posts about problems than ones about how great the new one is, even if 99% of the new ones are perfect. People who have problems want to get them fixed and complain how Apple's quality control is terrible etc, while people who got good ones simply have nothing to say, they're off enjoying their shiny new computer. There are always problems though, not even Apple is perfect. I'm not saying there aren't more problems with this one though, but I am saying it will probably always seem there is a lot wrong with the new one even though that may or may not be the case.

But maybe I got lucky.

You have a year of AppleCare (or three if you choose, and if you're worried go for it) so if anything goes wrong with it just head over to your Apple Store and you'll walk out with a new one, which would hopefully be fine. Yes I have seen the horror stories but this is very rare.

Moral of the story: Go for it! :D

14. atrac7 macrumors regular

Been using my 13" 2010 MBP for over a month. No problems really whatsoever. Honestly most of the issues I read on these boards are isolated incidents or the OP of their respective threads just being overly critical.

15. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Been using my 15" i5 for over a month now and I still can't find a problem with it. It is honestly the best computer I've ever owned and possibly the most reliable (architecturally and in terms of software) machine I've owned.

The only thing that's gone wrong has been because of Steam freezing (as usual) and causing my mac to run a little slower but restart fixed that and hasn't happened since.

16. Esquare macrumors member

Since complainers usually are ten times more likely to visit (and respond to) forums like these, that isn't surprising at all.

Another data point: no issues with my 15" i7 hires anti-glare (week 16) whatsoever.

17. n8236 macrumors 65816

If you think these Unibody generation Macbooks may be a "dud," u have no idea until you've owned a first generation Macbook Pro. When I got it in 2006, it was FULL of issues...i had AppleCare take care of 7 items and after unfixable an unfixable problem, they replaced it w/ a first generation Unibody. That Unibody had issues too, flickering...but i sold it. This 2nd gen Unibody has been thus far flawless, for the most part.

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Seriously, when you have threads like "What Problems Should I Be Looking For On My New MacBook Pro", and "Does This Tiny Hairline Scratch Mean I Should Bring This MacBook Pro Back To Apple?" you know people are paranoid! LOL :rolleyes:
    I've not had a single problem with my 15" i5...best computer I've ever owned...:D

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've been reading the forum here (and Apple's discussion forums) for a few years before I registered an account here.

People have always been saying that Apple's QC has been slipping. I mean, you can search that term going back to 2003 on these forums.

You'd think that since it's apparently been slipping with every new product since the early 2000's that there would be ANY quality control left at all now, in 2010! :eek:

I haven't seen any huge, systematic complaints about this generation MBPs. By that, I mean threads with literally HUNDREDS of "me too" complaints added to it. At someone already pointed out, the first generation Intel notebooks had huge issues. You couldn't read new threads here without seeing a zillion complaints about it, daily.

I don't think that Apple, or any consumer computer maker, is capable of turning out 100% perfect machines, 100% of the time.

What matters is that Apple can help you if you get a not-100% perfect machine. Multiple independent reports have rated AppleCare as the #1 in the industry, so I think that you're safe buying one now.

20. marksandvig macrumors regular

same here, absolutely 0 problems with my i5 15"

21. n8236 macrumors 65816

My UMBP i7 is the hottest *****z on the block. The only problem I have with it is the graphics switching lag.....it's bs...they gotta fix that.

22. Collider macrumors regular

Exactly this. It's not about having a machine that never breaks down, it's about having faith in the company who made it to do right by you if it does. After failing to repair my mid-range 2009 MBP twice last week, Apple not only offered to replace it with a brand new i7, but they also threw in the three-year AppleCare warranty free of charge as an apology for not being able to repair my previous machine.

Some people are lucky and always get the computers that never fail, never die, and never need repairing for anything. Some people, on the other hand, are less lucky and have an unfortunate track record. As one of the latter people, I never expect my computers to last very long. But I'd also never expected to find a company who'd go so far above and beyond to compensate me when it did break down.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Forums can sometimes appear to be the worse invention on the internet. They can be a blessing and curse at the same time. Somebody wants to buy something and they come here and read about SOME legit complaints and all the other OCD complaints and the person gets turned off. Nevermind that there probably 100 times more satisfied customers, this forum that represents less than 1/10th of 1% of Apple's customers is enough to decide the fate of the OP's purchase.
    What did people do before there was the internet to read complaints on? They used either consumer reports (which is not the best source) or they just bought and found out for themselves which is what the OP should do. He's only torturing himself by allowing MR and other forums to sway him. Wow, MR should charge for all the power it has over Apple's future. :rolleyes:

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1 my 13" works great. No issues.

Cheers,

25. cheetahxt macrumors member

+1 So is my 13".
    Never had any problems so far.