Are the non retina 15" still good machines?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MauerFan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I want to get a 15" laptop but I don't think I can justify the $2000+ price tag. Would you still buy the non retina MBP? Also I don't know if I should go w/ the 128 SSD or the 500 GB. The heaviest application I'd run on my laptop would be aperture.

2. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's still a good machine. The only difference being the screen itself. You have the same options otherwise. I plan on getting the non-retina because the current lack of 3rd part support at the moment. Not to mention, gaming although is a very small part of what I will use it for, will have to be set to lower resolutions and scaled up to be played smoothly (leads to worse picture quality.) Basically, I just think that developers and even the other components inside the computer need to "catch up" to the retina display before I would want to buy it for close to $3000.

3. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. Money wise would my best option be to buy the standard machine @ $1799 and then add more RAM/an SSD later on? I suppose I could spend the money on the 8 GB and SSD but I don't mine finding cheaper ways.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

5. nudoru macrumors regular

Yep, that'd be best. You can add 16gb ram (it's like $90!) and another HD later on - even replace the DVD with a 2nd harddrive.

6. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Yes, they are still very good machines. One of my current machines is a late 2011 15" MBP. A lot will depend on what you will be using it for. A lot of people think that when a new model comes out (not just computers) that the preceding one immediately becomes virtually worthless.

If you decide to go with the non retina version you should consider doing your own upgrades. There are online videos and knowledgeable folks here on MR to assist you. The price of RAM and SSD's continue to fall and you can find some great deals on both.

7. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Would this work for upgrading the RAM to 8 GB? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+Optima+2-Pack+4GB+PC3-10666+DDR3+SoDIMM+Laptop+Memory+Kit/4816107.p?id=1218533332124&skuId=4816107#tabbed-customerreviews

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

9. Asmodan macrumors newbie

10. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

In your opinion.

11. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Please don't supply blind opinions, especially since you just joined here. "Better" is subjective and different for everyone.

I say the Retina model is "better." What now? Do you see my point? My opinion now suddenly doesn't make it right.

OP: Both are good machines. The non-retina is still worth purchasing if you cannot afford the retina ones or really require the extra ports and ODD.

12. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

13. andymac2210 macrumors regular

No, they immediately became worthless pieces of junk the second apple made a retina version.

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The differences between the retina and non-retina are:
    HDMI port
    2nd TB port
    the screen
    less height
    less weight
    better cooling system

The non-retina 15" and 13" Ivy Bridge MBPs are really powerful machines:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386040

15. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

They are all good machines.

What matters is what is important you the user. Make a list of the pros and cons on each and decide what you can live with?

Do you need a lot of RAM and could you need more later?
    Is an SSD important or is the capacity more important?
    Do you want the high res display on the retina version?
    Do you need an ethernet jack?
    Do you need an HDMI jack?
    Is cost a factor?
    etc....

One can't be "better" for everyone's needs.

R

16. dordal macrumors member

I bought the non-retina one. And then I bought 16GB memory ($124 on Amazon) and a 750 Hybrid SSD HD ($149 on Amazon). Nearly all of my work is at a desk, with the notebook closed and connected to an external monitor. For $1000 less ($3499 vs $2199 + $124 + $149) I get a machine that has almost equivalent specs (only the hard drive is not a full SSD), is more upgradable and repairable, and has a DVD drive and an ethernet port, both of which I use.

Obviously, the math will be different for everybody; for example if you don't need the 16GB RAM or 768GB HD, you're only looking at $2799. And if you use your laptop screen all the time, you'll be looking at the retina screen all day.

But I'd challenge anyone who says the non-retina model is dead.

17. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

We know nothing about the real quality of the retina display. I wait for reviews, before i recommend this Rev. A product.

18. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This!! :D

At this point I prefer the non-retina display for reasons listed in many threads here. When [ if ] Apple decides to make the Retinas upgradeable and reasonably priced, I'll buy one the same day!

I don't see much sense in dropping $2K+ in a laptop that will probably start to feel old in ~2 yrs, unless you get the maxed out config. which should be good for 3..at best!

I firmly believe that in a year or less, we will be 1TB SSDs with 32GB or more Ram [ 16GB, maybe 32GB sticks ] hitting the market with Retina quality screens all over...

19. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

20. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

As expected, you are not able to understand my argument. Professional reviewers test the display thoroughly. This:
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/13/3082649/macbook-pro-review-retina-display-15-inch
    does not look like a thorough review. Let me quote this amateurish review:
    Amateurish-at best. No note about the measured contrast, the measured color gamut, the quality of the backlight et cetera. If you call this a review, then i do not know what you read in RL. I even doubt that you have read the above mentioned article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis
    They do not say under which conditions and how they measured this. So it is an argument without any real proof-if at all. Let us assume they measured this in a black reference room, with very expensive professional equipment. Then we should ask, why do they not publish their "professional" method?

And do not tell me, "i trust anandtech.com", "i trust theverge.com" because this is not an argument, regarding the measurable quality of the display.

21. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I don't get it!? why put a HDMI port on the MBPr, when they enable Airport Mirror on next OS. What will Steve Jobs do? will he allowed his computer to have a HDMI port if Apple can kill it and promote thunderbolt port. One port that can rule them all.:apple:

22. Ksubi macrumors member

Yes, they still are. I went to the Apple store yesterday, I didn't liked the retina.

23. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Personally I would say 150% that the non retina macbook pro 15 is actually a far far better machine than the new fancy **** that no one has thought through.

Think about it.. people already complain about when Nvidia or AMD doesn't release drivers fast enough or that they suck on OSX or what ever.. the exact same thing WILL happen, but with every application you can think of.

Adobe and Autodesk is by far far worse at keeping stuff up to date and great compared to Nvidia. just... don't set yourself up for a AUD$3500 laptop that gives you nothing but problems.

just.. think about it, the new retina display is the fastest way to issues the macbook has had in a long time, because it's success is relying on a bunch of massive companies that is not apple. then after that, you have all the smaller software packages that probably never will be updated because... its just not worth it.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Agreed, though will see about the better cooling system. I agree it's new though I suspect the retina models are going to get very very hot once the CPU and gpu are pushed

25. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Not everyone has an Apple TV box on every TV set they come across. Without it, there is no mirroring. Hotels? Different TV's around the house? Visiitng family/friends at their house? All these benefit from an HDMI port, not Airport mirror.