Are the sharp edges an issue for anyone here?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james83, Aug 4, 2013.

1. james83 macrumors newbie

I'm still debating wether to go for a MBP. The one thing I noticed when playing with it in the store were te edges were quite sharp on my wrist. Out of curiosity I did a Google search not expecting to find much but was surprised at how many sites and forums said the sharp edges were a big issue, and how many had reverted to older laptops because the MBP was too uncomfortable to use, and how many have resorted to sanding down the edges etc.

I've only seen one post on here addressing the issue, so I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same and how yoou feel about this complaint from others as there seem to be a large number of pro users here.

It might sound a little silly but I'm going to be doing a lot of writing on this new laptop so I want it to be as comfortable to use as possible.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

here we go again, the dainty bourgeois that is the mac user complaining about the "sharp" edges.:rolleyes:

3. james83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not a mac user :rolleyes:

4. apmorency macrumors regular

I have a 2012 13". I rad about the sharp edges too by they haven't bothered me at all. I wouldn't have even thought of it had I not read about it.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The edges are there to make it easy to slit your wrists if you ever consider returning to Windows.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Its annoying occasionally but its not a major problem. They're not that sharp and you're rarely resting on them.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have no clue how you people type, but it's never been an issue to me, or any other my other, mac-owning friends.

I'm guessing it's a poor posture problem for many. My wrist never rest on that edge when typing.

8. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It has never been an issue for me. Search for "suicide edges". You'll find a recent thread about it.

9. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

10. mneblett macrumors 6502

On the older, thicker MBP's it can be an issue -- not a deal-breaker, but annoying nonetheless. I recently had a current rMBP for a few days, and one of the things I noticed (without this thread to put the thought in my mind) was that the thinner lower case made the sharp edge *much* less of an issue than with my late '08 unibody -- to the point that I would have no trouble ignoring the rMBP's edge.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

As an objective response, I have found that the "sharp edge" becomes an issue when the wrists hang lower than the keyboard plane. But I have never experienced anything close to being cut by the sharp edge.

I set my laptop back enough to rest my elbows on the table while typing; and this does not let any contact between the front edge and the wrists.

12. scbond macrumors 6502

The early unibody machines used to come with very sharp edge (perfect 90 degree angles) but now it's not as common and most are slightly rounded. Either way, if you use the laptop properly, sat in a suitable position then it certainly won't bother you at all.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Technically you're not suppose to rest your wrists on the computer, only your hand. Then you won't have the issue is sharp edges.

Its an issue for some people and not for others. Mostly if you have the correct posture and hand position when typing, it shouldn't be an issue.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Its no issue for me at all; I don't find them at all sharp.

15. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

16. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I have a 2009 model, and it has the super sharp perfect 90 degree edges. I noticed them back when I first bought it, but I was a noob typist back then. Since I learned proper posture, it hasn't been an issue.

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Sometimes it's a pain in the ass, sometimes it isn't. Some people say it is posture, but the very idea of a laptop to me is that it is a portable computer, meaning, I am not always sitting at a desk with perfect posture... I may be leaning over, or to the side, or sitting on an easy chair with it resting on the arm. Or something silly while using it. My favor goes to the product that loves me even when I'm not sitting in the Dilbert position.

A big part of it is 13" vs. 15". On the 13" and 11" it is insanely annoying, on the 15" it is just fine for me.

Learn proper posture, learn how to hold the phone properly, learn how to use your computer so that it doesn't hit 100% CPU & throttle... Apple fan arrogance at its best. All of this is junk I need not concern myself with if I'm using an S3 or a Thinkpad where the antenna is put in the right place, the edges are rounded for comfort, and the fan actually exhausts hot air.

18. me43 macrumors member

I think that part of the problem is that you are standing when you try the computers out at the Apple Store or at least that's the case with my local Apple Store. My guess is this changes the weight or position that you have your wrists laying on the keyboard. I noticed the same thing when I was playing around with them but when I am using it at my desk or on my lap it is a non issue.

19. redkamel macrumors 6502

No, but it depends how you type and where your hand position is. The MBA has no issues. The old Powerbooks did a little (for me). The new rMBPs seem to have minimal in my limited use.

20. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

That's what I have found. Sometimes, when sitting in a chair a certain way then I notice it, but not enough to think about it much. I just move my arm.

My biggest complaint is the wear that shows on the keys. I have had to replace several keys because I have worn through the black.

21. Idefix macrumors 6502

Yes, the sharp edges bother me. It seems like bad design, which has persisted thru many years...

And then I forget about it...

If it really bothers you, there's always http://guardstrip.com/

completely ugly, but entirely functional.

22. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

When I first bought my 2012 MBP it was an issue for me, but now after like a month or two I barely notice it anymore. Maybe I unconsciously learned to place my arms a bit differently, but still.

23. No-Me macrumors 6502a

No, not a problem at all. They feel a bit sharp but when you're carrying or typing it's no problem at all!

24. sharkman macrumors newbie

I wouldn't consider it an issue, although sometimes my watch will catch it but I feel that is inevitable on pretty much all laptops.