Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Mine is the same. I normally just use tap to click and don't push it down often.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Word is that there is a screw that can be messed with that can adjust this.

Yep. I used a small flathead screw driver to adjust the tri-wing screw. If you choose to do this, only turn approximately 90 degrees at a time. It does not take much.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Yep. I used a small flathead screw driver to adjust the tri-wing screw. If you choose to do this, only turn approximately 90 degrees at a time. It does not take much.
are there any pics of how to do this anywhere?

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
Meaning, less clicky?

People who are buying the new MacBooks most likely did not have the previous unibody version so that would be pretty hard for them to compare. However, I have noticed due to so many returns that every MacBook's trackpad sounds different so it is a but too hard to tell...

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
I "upgraded" from a unibody macbook, and the trackpad click is definitely quieter for me. I even played with that screw that controls the click on my non-pro macbook, but could never get it to be as quiet as this MBP (and still function properly, that is).

jmann

macrumors 604

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 878

8theapple

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
North
Is the screw still accessible with the new battery that is not removable? As I recall, access to the screw requires removal of the battery. So I'm assuming the trackpad on the new MBPs cannot be manipulated.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Removing the fixed battery will void your warranty, it says so on the sticker...

"Warning: Do not remove the battery"

Doesn't say anything about voiding the warranty.

In fact, the user manual does not say anything about the warranty either.

"Built-in battery Do not remove the battery from your MacBook Pro. The battery should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider."

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003

"Built-in battery Do not remove the battery from your MacBook Pro. The battery should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider."

Apple would never know anyways. The sticker is just attached the battery and the really thin midwall of the laptop body. You could remove the battery 100 times and it wouldn't disturb the "don't touch this!" sticker :)

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Apple would never know anyways. The sticker is just attached the battery and the really thin midwall of the laptop body. You could remove the battery 100 times and it wouldn't disturb the "don't touch this!" sticker :)

Watch out for that 101st time though ;)

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)

If it doesn't void the warranty why would there be a warning? Why couldn't people just be able to remove the battery?

Anything with a sticker that says warning, it typically means that the manufacturer does not want you to touch it. I wouldn't chance it unless first speaking with an apple tech.

The phrase: "Built-in battery Do not remove the battery from your MacBook Pro. The battery should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider." says it all, if you touch it they will void your warranty, unless you are an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
If it doesn't void the warranty why would there be a warning? Why couldn't people just be able to remove the battery?

Anything with a sticker that says warning, it typically means that the manufacturer does not want you to touch it. I wouldn't chance it unless first speaking with an apple tech.

The phrase: "Built-in battery Do not remove the battery from your MacBook Pro. The battery should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider." says it all, if you touch it they will void your warranty, unless you are an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

For the warranty to be voided, it would most likely say something to that effect. Think about video game consoles, hard drives, etc.

Also, how would they ever know unless you broke something?

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
The trackpads in the new Macbook Pros have indeed been changed

New model:
sx6XsBcLII4sMyqN.large

Old model:
qFsHP2uMXoMCagVy.large

The pictures are from the 13" model. You can see that the screws in the hinging mechanism have been changed a bit, and the bottom section of the trackpad is also quite different

Last edited:

mtbiac

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
any tips on how to adjust the tri-wing screw on under the trackpad? got battery out fine, but nothing works for the trackpad screw. Trying to help out a friend here....

thanks

8theapple

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
North
any tips on how to adjust the tri-wing screw on under the trackpad? got battery out fine, but nothing works for the trackpad screw. Trying to help out a friend here....

thanks

small flathead screwdriver will work..its spring loaded so press down (not too hard!) and then clockwise

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.