Are there any Amazon 3rd party scams when buying a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetruth1985, Sep 5, 2013.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have been looking to get a rMBP second hand and the max I was looking to spend was $1500. I figured that price was fair since the new ones are right around the corner. I checked on Amazon this morning and a seller had the newest 15.4 inch rMBP for $1300. It was the newest base model at 2.4 i7, 8gb ram, and the 256gb ssd. I emailed the seller to verify the specs and he said that the specs were correct and that he listed it a bit low since he needed the cash.

Anyway, I ended up purchasing the Mac from him through Amazon. What worried me was that he listed the exact same laptop again soon after with the exact same description. My wife emailed him from her account asking questions about the laptop and he answered the questions and didn't mention anything about already selling the laptop.

Is there anything I should look out for? I spend thousands of dollars at Amazon every year but this is the first time I've purchased a high dollar item from a 3rd party seller. I figured my money would be safe since I made the purchase through Amazon but I wanted to know if there are any other scams out there that I should look out for. The laptop still hasn't shipped out yet even though I told him to send me a tracking number.

2. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

Sounds a little fishy with the guy re-posting it after you already bought it. How was the sellers rating on Amazon?

3. N3ILA macrumors member

N3ILA

I registered just to answer your question. I ordered the base cmbp June 14th 2013 from a third party seller on Amazon for $1200. I had been monitoring the prices for a week so when I saw $1200 I was ecstatic. I read the sellers feedback and all was good no bad reviews over a span of two years so I pulled the trigger and purchased the cmbp. The seller created a shipping label and I was sent a tracking number. All was good until the day it was supposed to arrive. The tracking number showed eta of friday June 21 2013. The cmbp never arrived and when I checked the tracking number again on the following day the eta now showed n/a. So I called FedEx and I was told a shipping label was generated but no package was ever sent nor picked up. I filled a Amazon A thru Z claim on the 23 and It was approved on the 30th so I was reimbursed.

If I was you or if I had to do it again I would only buy the macbook pro from apple because if there is something wrong with it you can get a replacement asap. I ended up ordering my macbook pro from macmall. It's the 15 cmbp 2.7 with high res antiglare panel. The display had bad banding so I took it to the apple store and since I didn't buy direct from apple they would only replace the display and not issue me a full cmbp replacement. In my case I was lucky in the end because the technician who worked on my cmbp ended up stripping a screw and he drilled it out with a drill. Left metal shavings inside and did a horrible job servicing it. I took pics and sent them to apple and was issued an entire replacement direct from apple.

I checked the apple store refurbished page and they are selling the Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display for $1,599.00. I know it's $99 more than what you want to spend but well worth the money to keep ones sanity.

4. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

I suspect nothing wrong.

There is a good chance this guy has access to a supply of used laptops and is selling them on Amazon. He most likely made up story about needing $$.

Also Amazon is NOT like eBay. You will NOT get scammed via Amazon. I'm not saying people won't try. However Amazon will always trust the customer in cases. You can straight up tell them he mailed you a dog bone and you would get a full refund. The risk on Amazon.com is with the seller. They have enough sellers. They want to keep you as a buyer.

Also be sure to always pay with a CC. Its much easier to file a chargeback with a CC if Amazon refuses to help for some reason.

Also videotape you opening the box he sends you.

NOTE: Amazon tracks buyers clams of problems with orders and ban accounts via i.p. address and cc if you make to many claims of "dog bone" orders. Amazon knows what % of orders have problems. If you account gets high they will suspect you as the problem and not their sellers.

5. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch. It's a good thing you got your money back. I hope that doesn't happen to me. He actually marked the laptop as shipped but I still haven't received a tracking number. I'm hoping he sends me one tomorrow as I've already emailed him again asking for it. I wonder what's the point of trying to scam people. If he knows Amazon will issue a refund, why would he waste time doing it. Is it like a short term loan for him?

I hope that's the case. Also, I've heard of Amazon banning accounts before. I've read of people doing excessive returns and that's the reason for the ban. I rarely return things and I don't think I've ever had to open a A to Z claim. It is good to know that there's a good chance I will get my money back if something goes wrong. I will report back about what I receive.

6. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

No there is a 100 percent chance you will get a refund if something goes wrong.

Oh, and can you provide a link to the listing? I want to ask this guy some ?'s myself.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

PLEASE keep us updated on the progress and outcome of this order.

Thanks

8. ehfz macrumors member

I recall there was a really good sale on rMBP at best buy not too long ago where new ones went for something like 1300. Maybe just bought some there thinking they had a resale value more in the 1500 range?

9. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well his name isn't on the list of sellers anymore but here is the page from where I bought it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...1378482699&sr=8-4&keywords=macbook+pro+retina

I will. It's been marked as shipped vis USPS but I still haven't gotten a tracking number. If it turns out to be a scam, this information could probably help someone else in the future.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Avoid Amazon 3rd party..

I avoid the 3rd party almost all the time. If it's not sold/shipped by Amazon I go elsewhere unless I can't find it elsewhere

The 3rd party sellers are a very mixed lot - some are fine, others are short lived scams.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I bought my rMBP from Amazon--not third party--and I did that without hesitation. I use the 3 party sellers for small items but I doubt I would want to take a chance with a big ticket item like a laptop. I would be confident that Amazon would reimburse me but I'd rather just avoid the hassle. With Prime I buy just about everything online from Amazon.

12. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Most of those Amazon ban stories, when you really dig into it the details, show that the person in question was seriously abusing the return policy.

The most common example is someone who returns big ticket items many (like more than a couple) times for minor cosmetic issues. For example, returning large TVs over and over in an attempt to get "perfect" screen uniformity (impossible in plasma or LCD).

I remember reading one situation where a guy was banned because each time he purchased a DVD (apparently the only thing he used Amazon for) he'd end up returning it for replacement up to a dozen times looking for one without any scratches or dirt on the plastic case.

13. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Amazon always helps if there is a problem. There is no need to worry about ANY 3rd party seller.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

BUT it can be a real hassle to get a problem resolved - it is much much easier to avoid the 3rd party sellers if at all possible. Besides, there's no guarantee that Amazon will resolve the situation favorably. I would never go to a 3rd party for any amount over $ 50.

15. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Not true. Amazon handles all disputes very well. Amazon system is setup more FOR the buyer then the seller. If you bought from a 3rd party seller and said you didn't get it even with delivery confirmation Amazon will still give you a refund. Their system is not very seller friendly.

If I was selling the Mac on Amazon I would be more worried about fraud buyers claiming they didn't get it. The seller is risking MUCH more.

16. Rhythmic- macrumors member

I've used Amazon since '09, and I've never bought premium, high-priced items like laptops from 3rd party sellers. It's just far too risky. I've been burned a few times, but they were usually just items that cost <$20. If you absolutely must buy from a 3rd party seller, don't just check for the ratings. Check how much ratings they have. 90% of the time, I buy from sellers that has at least 500 seller ratings. They're usually pretty reputable and trustworthy. Some of them actually even have their own websites, if you google them and look them up. Don't bother with the sellers with under a hundred ratings (even if they have a perfect 5 stars). I'd say your chances are 50-50 when dealing with them. I know it's not fair for the honest sellers looking to create a flourishing business online, but it's just not worth the risk.

Would you mind posting the seller's main home page though? I want to see how many ratings he has.

17. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Anyone who says they've gotten "burned" on any site just doesn't know much about their rights. Sorry I'm not trying to be rude... but its true.

Amazon and ebay have many policy's in place to protect you.

If you ever have any problems with a transaction contact the seller 1st. 90% of the time they are more then happy to help. 2nd contact the main website (ebay, Amazon ect..) if the seller does not work out the problem. If required open a "claim". If after the claim you still have no justice contact your CC or bank and open a chargeback claim. If that doesn't work try again. Then open a mail fraud complaint if you still need justice.

If all that fails look to why? Maybe you're running the scam or made the mistake. ;)

Tip: NEVER settle for someone stealing your $$!!

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

As a buyer, I've never had good luck dealing with Amazon over disputes, whether it's faulty product or failure to deliver. It has never been easy and most of the time it's not worth the hassle. Amazon's own stuff has never been too difficult if you are persistent and know who to contact, but 3rd party has never been worth the struggle with either the 3rd party people or Amazon itself. For me, Amazon has not been responsive. Others may find it easy, but I gave up on 3rd party.

Yes, you have rights, but the hassle of trying to get a refund is simply not worth it. I stick to Amazon for anything over $ 50 and would never ever ever trust a 3rd party for something as expensive as a laptop.

19. Rhythmic- macrumors member

I got burned from buying a GBA game for $5, and another time for buying replacement joysticks for my PS3 controller that cost me $6.99. I didn't bother filing a claim because they didn't cost much, and it'd be a waste of time filing a dispute. I just don't ever bother buying expensive things from sellers who aren't reputable. That's just asking for trouble.

So they've given you a hard time before? I just filed a complaint a month ago (the box was empty! lmao) and they settled, it no questions asked. Didn't even bother to ask me to prove it, they overnighted me a replacement and that was that.

20. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Not really getting burned if you choose not to act. But I totally understand your point about not dealing with it. Time is money. And is your time worth a few $? Good point.

However remember with Apple products having a high turnover rate a lot of people want to sell their old ****. They all can't be big sellers.

I just sold my old laptop on eBay for $1800.00. I was so nervous that the buyer was going to con me. But all went well.

This is how Amazon has always been with me. If ever there is a problem they are always quick to help.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

You guys have a LOT better luck with Amazon than I have had! I've never had a problem free return issue with Amazon.

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I don't know what Amazon.com you have been dealing with, but I place 50-100 orders a year with them, many of those with 3rd party sellers, and I've NEVER had a problem that wasn't resolved quickly and in my favor. Amazon is great to deal with. You can shop there with 100% confidence, 3rd party seller or not.

By the way, I'm also a seller on Amazon, so I know that they protect buyers every step of the way. Sometimes to a fault.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

You must know how to deal with Amazon better than I do! Maybe I just haven't figured out how to get a response from the right place. I know lots of people swear by Amazon, I'm just not one of them.

24. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

exactly!!

25. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Last Resort if Amazon doesn't rule in your favor when it turns out to be a scam.
    Charge back with CC.
    Bank reversal. :)