Are there any printers that work over Airport in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MaddMacs, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MaddMacs macrumors 6502

I just bought an new MacPro. Come to find out my old printer (hp photosmart 7350) is no longer supported in Leopard. So I bought a new Canon Pixma ip4500. Turns out printing with bonjour over an airport is not supported in Leopard. My favorite thing was that Canon puts in small print on their driver download page that "Mac Air" printing was not supported. Who calls it "Mac Air" anyway? And why did they decide to hide it? So a fool would buy the printer and find out later it wasn't fully supported. What a Scam. What the h*** is wrong with Apple that they have to break every d**n thing with their worthless updates? Hello Apple! Wake up! Are there any printers in this world that works properly with Leopard?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Did you try to update the drivers of said printer thru manufactures site ?

3. MaddMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Their latest download is the same version as packaged. That is where I found their small footnote that "Air Mac" is not available in Leopard:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=257&modelid=15596

Is Canon making up arcane terms to confuse the consumer? I thought it was called 'wireless' or 'wireless bonjour' printing. The Apple website says "all major manufactures have adopted the 'bonjour' technology." What a CROCK.

4. dborja macrumors 6502a

5. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

hp deskjet 6980 series...

I bought it at costco a couple of months ago for under 100$. It works great and I currently print from all four of my home computers wirelessly ( 2 windows, 2 mac). Setup was a bit confusing, but plugging it into the router through ethernet seemed to set it up most effectively. Now it sits in a drawer and completely out of site =)

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have both a Brother 2040 Laser and Epson 2200 printing through AEBS.

7. Help! macrumors regular

My canon ip4300 is working correctly through the AEBS

8. MaddMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you running Leopard? New Egg says it is supported to 10.4

What bugs me the most is that Canon doesn't say anything about the incompatibility on their site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...t&keycode=macdr&fcategoryid=267&modelid=12892

But when I go to download the driver it says:

Caution:
    1. Use the CUPS drivers in the following cases only: -When performing 16-bit color printing -When printing from the 64-bit application 2. Mac OS X v10.5 Printing from Air Mac is not available.

I tried toggling the sharing and using 4300 drivers. I got it to feed the paper but not print. I can print through everything but Airport. Bummer

Are there any printers that are currently available in the $200 range that work with Airport?

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

I have nothing useful to add past my comments in the other thread linked (I'd forgotten that I also set up a friend's iP3500 on an Airport, but that was Tiger, not Leopard), but a note on Canon's badly-worded support documentation:

I expect the "Mac Air" on Canon's site comes from a translation error; in Japan, Airport is marketed as AirMac. Given that Canon is a Japanese company, I'll bet it worked its way in through a bilingual support engineer or translator.

10. MaddMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Canon should stick to cameras

Well it's official Canon does not and will not support printing over Airport:

"Thank you for writing to us about your PIXMA iP4500. We value you as a
    Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Canon does not directly support sharing or networking the printer using
    Apple's Airport base station or access point for wireless printing. You
    should refer to the setup information and directions provided with the
    Airport. With this said, many Mac users share and successfully print
    with their Canon printers using the Airport, but it should be noted that Canon does not support printing unless the printer is directly connected to a
    native USB port on the Mac. If you are having an issue printing when using the Airport, you should retry printing with the printer directly connected
    to the USB port on the Mac.

Your comments are noted and will be passed along to the appropriate
    party. "

What a CROCK! I've spent 4k on a computer and accessories to find features not supported. Buyer beware! Canon will tell you to take a hike. I'll be returning this POS.

Before I try another manufacturer has anybody gotten their currently available consumer grade printer to print over Airport in Leopard?

11. blisters macrumors member

The HP C4385 has been working fine for me. Don't use the CD that comes with the printer. You will need to download the 10.5 drivers from the HP website.

12. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

My Epson CX6500, is working fine over Airport in Leopard 10.5.X

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I have a Brother 2040 laser printer and it works just fine printing over Airport. It costs about $119.

14. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

I use an HP Photosmart 3310 that works with Leopard using an Airport Express wireless home network.

15. MaddMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Another one down

I just tried the Epson R280. It intermittantly prints through Airport, but the EPSON PRINT MONITOR crashes contunually. Epson won't reply to my email. That's three that wont work since Leopard!

16. MaddMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to keep this thread alive forever but there is a known issue with many printers printing through Airport. Here is what Epson says:

"For optimal performance Epson tests and supports a direct connection from
    the printer to the Host PC/MAC. Although other methods are offered by
    third-party vendors Epson does not support or recommend this. Epson cannot
    guarantee consistent data transfer through any intermediate third-party
    devices. Because of the amount of information sent to the printer during a
    print job, it is necessary to have uninterrupted and consistent data flow.
    If you are experiencing communication errors while connected through any
    such device, you may want to contact the manufacturer.

There is a known issue Epson currently is working with Apple on a solution.
    The Epson Status Monitor requires constant bidirectional communication with
    the Host for it to function properly. The Airport Extreme only allows a one
    way communication, so when the Epson Status Monitor tries to update the
    Host with the proper ink levels you will receive a communication error."

I went ahead and bought an hp deskjet 6940 because I could connect it directly to my Airport Extreme Base Station with an ethernet cable. It works a lot better, but I had to sacrifice print quality compared to the other printers in the same price range. :(

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I am using an Epson RX580 all in one (printing only), an Epson Stylus CX4200. both seem to work fine...

18. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Maybe I missed a point so if I did...I apologize. But have you tried to turn printer sharing services ON ? My Samsung SCP-4200 is plugged in a USB port to my Mac Mini and I can print wirelessly with my Macbook.

19. MaddMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it is a crap shoot. Manufacturers aren't going to tell you your printer won't work in certain circumstances. They let you find out for yourself, or if you email them with a problem, after you've bought it. :(

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Same here, I have the same printer. Love the HP 6980. Worked in Tiger wirelessly and works in Leopard perfectly, never had an issue.