Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You keep assuming that it's the older people that can't hear it, which is the asinine and rather offensive part of your statement (in addition, of course, to the ridiculous assertion that every MacBook does, indeed, have this problem, which is patently false). Accusing us of being wrong because of hearing loss is the stupidest assumption I have ever seen anyone make on these boards, and frankly, you're driving us all crazy. Insulting everyone who has a verifiable claim against your conspiracy theory is the surest way to make sure that no one has any respect for you. Sure, your MacBook may make some noise. In fact, a number of MacBooks may make some noise. But you know what? There's been a lot more MacBook's sold than people have complained about. So where does that leave your theory?

jW

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
skywalker said:
Accusing us of being wrong because of hearing loss is the stupidest assumption I have ever seen anyone make on these boards, and frankly, you're driving us all crazy.
Great to hear you can speak for everyone on this forum ;) Sorry, but it's a fact that most people older than 30 cannot hear high frequency noise, whether you accept it or not. My dad can't hear it while my girlfriend does. I can't wait to get older ;)
skywalker said:
Insulting everyone who has a verifiable claim against your conspiracy theory
Conspiracy? Insult? Are you sure you are replying to the right thread?
skywalker said:
There's been a lot more MacBook's sold than people have complained about. So where does that leave your theory?
How do you know that? According to the poll on this forum more than 50% of the people who voted have the moo. This, of course, says nothing about the total amount of Macbooks that moo. There is really no way I can see to properly estimate the number of Macbooks sold with moo & whine, the number sold to people who don't hear it or don't bother, or the number of Macbooks with no problems at all. We just don't know. The whole point of this thread was to find out from people who claim to have no problems really don't have them and if it's worth the trouble getting the Macbook exchanged.

LeggNet

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
My experience:

1. 1.83 White - No moo or whine, several Kernel Panics before dying completely. Returned and exchanged for a 2.00 white.

2. 2.00 White - Very noticible MOO at 70 degrees. Loud enough to be disruptive. Idled at or near this temp so Moo was very annoying. No whine. Exchanged.

3. 2.00 Black - Moo there but not nearly as noticible as previous machine. No whine from machine, yet brick whined. Right speaker DOA. Exchanged.

4. 2.00 Black - Dead pixel prominently in screen. Did not keep long enough to determine whine or moo. Exchanged.

5. 2.00 Black - No Whine or Moo. Idles in the low sixties. I have ran the temp up and down from low sixties to mid seventies and don't hear the moo at all. If I put my ear to the moo area (f4-f7), I have faintly hear the fan.

So, my journey brought me from a 1.83 basic to a 2.00 black. The folks at my Apple Store where very helpful.

I love this machine, but of my previous 4 Dells I had no problems. In fact, they are are still running perfectly for the family members that received the 'hand me downs'. I'm taking these difficulties as the price to pay for being an early adopter.

Cheers, Rich

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i just replaced the thermal paste and now i idle 12 degrees lower (~50) and at full tilt i get to 86 degrees instead of 90 odd.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hector said:
i just replaced the thermal paste and now i idle 12 degrees lower (~50) and at full tilt i get to 86 degrees instead of 90 odd.

Are the fans on more now? How hard was it?

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
Rich, great to hear you got a flawless Macbook at the 5th attempt! You're lucky you can just walk into an Apple store in your country and get a replacement. In most other countries we do not have Apple stores and have to wait about two weeks for an exchange shipped from China. If I need as many attempts as you did to get a flawless one, it'll take me months to get it ;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
less, it used to moo after a while of general use it idled at about 63 and when pushed to 67 it would moo, then at 70 the fan would stay on.

though just today the very very faint barely audible whine has become loud, it may just be because my house it quiet, i'll see how it goes.

anyway, now in general use it runs at 57 ish idles at 53 and only moos when running at about 50% load, which i have to deliberately set up, as either it's 100% or about 20%.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
skywalker said:
You keep assuming that it's the older people that can't hear it, which is the asinine and rather offensive part of your statement (in addition, of course, to the ridiculous assertion that every MacBook does, indeed, have this problem, which is patently false). Accusing us of being wrong because of hearing loss is the stupidest assumption I have ever seen anyone make on these boards, and frankly, you're driving us all crazy.

I've been going around with my MBP since this thread started and asking friends/family if they can hear any whine. Guess what?? Out of the 9 people i asked only 4 of us can hear the whine! Parents, uncle, uncle's friend and boss, only hear the fan. So i did my little experiment and have my own facts. I've seen about 20 different mac intel laptops so far and all whined, some a bit different than others. For me that proves that the great great majority have the whining.

Am pretty sure that if Apple found a way to just increase the frequency of the whine in a future firmware, many people would come out and say that their whine is fixed. Yes is a fact that hearing on humans varies especially when it comes to high pitched sounds and i really don't understand why you feel offended about this.

LifeCoach

macrumors member
May 19, 2006
Wouldn't apple be able to fix the moo with a firmware update? The whine defo has alot to do with the power adapter.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
karmakoma said:
So to answer the 'Apple is perfect' brigade ... It seems some people are prepared to accept these flaws, fine go with it, but just because you don't mind paying out for flawed, poorly designed hardware (if indeed it is) - don't think everybody else is...

I'm still interested to know the answer to the OP's original question which would answer whether or not this is a design limitation (flaw?) or if not, just really, really bad QC. I'm trying to decide whether or not to order a second MacBook or not.

Where's the "Apple is perfect" brigade? No one has said that this is not a problem on some MBs. Others have pointed out that their computers make no noise ... my wife's included. This has degraded because the OP made a ridiculous assertion that all MBs and MBPs are affected and we don't hear anything because our hearing is bad, then when told by several posters that he was wrong, persisted in repeating his original statement as if it had been proven. It's ridiculous. He's either an idiot or a troll. There ... I've degraded this some more ... the sooner this is wastelanded, the better.

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
Coheebuzz said:
I've been going around with my MBP since this thread started and asking friends/family if they can hear any whine. Guess what?? Out of the 9 people i asked only 4 of us can hear the whine! Parents, uncle, uncle's friend and boss, only hear the fan. So i did my little experiment and have my own facts. I've seen about 20 different mac intel laptops so far and all whined, some a bit different than others. For me that proves that the great great majority have the whining.
Exactly.
Coheebuzz said:
Yes is a fact that hearing on humans varies especially when it comes to high pitched sounds and i really don't understand why you feel offended about this.
It didn't come to my mind that this fact would offend some people. If it did, I aplogize.
plinden said:
This has degraded because the OP made a ridiculous assertion that all MBs and MBPs are affected and we don't hear anything because our hearing is bad
I'm getting the feeling that you simply don't want to understand it...:(
plinden said:
, then when told by several posters that he was wrong, persisted in repeating his original statement as if it had been proven. It's ridiculous. He's either an idiot or a troll.
Congratulations, you've just disqualified yourself :)
Go to the previous page and look what I said. I just said that "I'm keeping my opinion", nothing is proven. Is it still allowed to post an opinion here?

wax0

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
waiting for 64 bits thanks to the noises

I got the first generation of MBP 2GHZ by Feb 20th, and that computer had at least 4 noticeable noises, I returned to Apple, then they sent me a second computer MBP 2.16GHZ which just had 2 noticeable noises the moo and the whine, the whine was really hard to hear for me, at least I rest my ear over the keyboard, but the moo was very annoying It was doing it just after intensive use, but it was doing it for at least five minutes in a row, before being quiet again, so I returned it, then I ordered the MBP 2.16 17'', that machine just had the whine but once again i could barely hear it, it was a very quiet and nice machine but it was having panic attacks when using the airport for downloading files or when doing very intensive surfing on the net, so I returned it, and I realised that the Merom MBP which is a 64 bits machine, is just around the corner (I am almost sure they will announce it by the WDC in SF in August) with a maybe redisign of the case (like making it easier for the customer to change hd or maybe a new keyboard, not sure if they got time for it), but anyway a 64 bits machine is not just a faster machine but it is another world, a new instructions set available, just to compare we have been into 32 bits for almost 10 years, so this is a big jump!!, and Leopard is going to take advantage of 64 bits computing, so what I did was to buy a new macbook (white) and installed more memory (I recommend >1Gb) and a 100gb 7200rpm travelstar hd, and I cannot notice differences between this machine and the Pros at least you really want to play very very intense, So I am here happy with my macbook which I noticed mooing once but very quiter compare with the MBP and with the hard to hear (FOR ME) whine, waiting for the new world of 64 bits computing to get the 17 inches MBP.

I really recommend to wait just for few months!!!

AlexSpark

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2004
Emeryville, CA
So I just picked up my second MacBook after returning my first one 2 weeks ago as it had many many issues including the mooo.

My first MacBook would do the moo on, moo off, moo on, moo off, moo on thang

My second has a moo .. but it only does it once (when i say once, i mean once until the next time its needed!). Also is alot more quiet about it too

Maybe this is the definition of the problem

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Mine touched 76 deg without a moo, but the moo has shown up at 50. I don't think its temp relative. Either that or at lower temps the fan kind of pumps and higher it goes on at full blast, so you don't notice the sound cos you only hear it once at the begining

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
nermal0 said:
Exactly.

It didn't come to my mind that this fact would offend some people. If it did, I aplogize.

I'm getting the feeling that you simply don't want to understand it...:(

Congratulations, you've just disqualified yourself :)
Go to the previous page and look what I said. I just said that "I'm keeping my opinion", nothing is proven. Is it still allowed to post an opinion here?

I think you're the one not understanding. You've made a simply ridiculous assertion, i.e. that all MB's and MBP's whine, and we're giving you solid proof that your assertion is wrong. Don't give me some crap about my hearing. No one has ever heard this MacBook whine, and that's quite a few people (I love showing off my tech). My hearing isn't degraded, I hear far better than many people, and it's insulting to hear people tell me that because I disagree with them I'm lying or deaf. I think that plinden has made a rather obvious conclusion after reading your posts, you are either an idiot or a troll. STOP WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME WITH YOUR RIDICULOUS CLAIMS! I agree, it's about time for this thread to be wastelanded.

jW

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
I personally dont see why we all cant agree to disagree.

Ok, so someone else's Macbook 'moos'.....

.... and.... oook....(?) Great news.

Ok, so some of them moo and some of them dont...

.... Wonderful.....

Move along.

karmakoma

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
plinden said:
Where's the "Apple is perfect" brigade? No one has said that this is not a problem on some MBs. Others have pointed out that their computers make no noise ...

Admittedly this was a pre-emptive comment - I didn't say they were active in this thread, at least not yet. But there's plenty of evidence elsewhere where people are being told to stop whining about the current faults with Apple hardware.

plinden said:
This has degraded because the OP made a ridiculous assertion that all MBs and MBPs are affected and we don't hear anything because our hearing is bad, then when told by several posters that he was wrong, persisted in repeating his original statement as if it had been proven. It's ridiculous.

Where did he make a ridiculous assertion? From my understanding of biology he simply pointed out a known fact. There is considerable variation between genders and ethnicities of the same age, as well as degradation of hearing (particularly high and low frequencies) as we get older. He didn't say your hearing must be bad, but that you might not be hearing the high frequencies. I think he may have a point but we have insufficient data to go on. There may be a whine on all Apple laptops with CoreDuos, but differences in manufacturing tolerances may be giving us a different presentation/severity ie some are much worse (almost or actually inaudible to most listeners) than others.

plinden said:
He's either an idiot or a troll. There ... I've degraded this some more ... the sooner this is wastelanded, the better.

I don't see why some people are getting so worked up about it, it's obvious to me he's not trolling. Perhaps he could have been a bit more diplomatic with how he phrased his question - but just give him the benefit of the doubt eh?

skywalker said:
I think that plinden has made a rather obvious conclusion after reading your posts, you are either an idiot or a troll. STOP WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME WITH YOUR RIDICULOUS CLAIMS! I agree, it's about time for this thread to be wastelanded.

So if you're so keen to 'wasteland' the thread, why read it? And FYI the OP is not wasting my time as I am still interested to know whether the whine is a manufacturing or a design defect.

Paimon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
These issues are really making me angry, I was a Mac user for a lot of years but I can't stand how badly they take advantage of their customers' loyalty. I dumped Apple shortly after OS 9 came out b/c I was tired of it and bought a windows computer. Actually I've been through 3 since then. I can live with XP but I'd really like to switch to a MacBook for school in september.

It doesn't even matter what their manufacturing tolorances are, or whether all of them whine and only some people can hear it, or whatever. The fact is that a lot of their customers don't like the situation and Apple should step up, apologize, explain the situation, and tell people what exactaly they are doing about it. We expect that much as customers when we order dinners let alone a $2000 machine.

I can guarentee that if this problem isn't gone by September I'll be purchasing a windows laptop. I perfer to compute on something that doesn't whine and moo, end of story.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
conditionals said:
I think it's clear that it IS a design fault with the MB/MBPs. I actually think that people with a lower sensitivity to low/high frequency noises may be the reason some aren't hearing it.

Personally I can tell when a CRT tv has been turned on next door. It drives me CRAZY.

I was JUST going to post the comment about the TV. I can hear when anyone in the house turns on a tv as my ears are so sensitive. My bet would be ALL MB give off a very slight buzzing but some people just don't hear it. I can hear my printer buzz a little when I get near it AND I heard my Sony digital camera buzzing last night while charging. Unfortunately, I think the sound is a side effect of dual core processors. I remember my G5 powermac doing this when one of the processors would idle. I honestly think Apple could kill this problem with a software fix in the future.

Now people with a very loud whinning/buzzing should be worried. I have heard some MBPs give off quite a howl haha.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I thought my MB was 100% perfect, but apparently it does have tiny whine, once in a while. I don't know why or when it happens, but it's a very soft little noise that could be just the computer working... but that isn't quite it. FWIW, I'm extremely picky about my computers. I absolutely hate having even a tiny scratch or the smallest defect. But this doesn't bother me. It's just so quiet, and so rare (less than once a day?) that I'm cool with it. Overall, my MB is almost dead silent, so this tiny little whine every once in a while is not going to mar my experience with the best apple computer I've ever owned.

no mooing, though.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Chrispy said:
I thought the mooing was address with the firmware update that came out last week?

There hasn't been a firmware update for MB yet, that update was for MBP.

RobDeep

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
My Macbook has never "Moo'd" or "Whined". This thread is insane. Could that many units really be making that much of an offensive noise for people to complain about it? Think about all the problems in the world for a second, then think about your Mooing computer and see how you feel. Disgusting! :p

The only noise I've ever really noticed is when I use the thing heavily and the fan comes on to cool the cpu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.