Are these known issues? Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Jul 25, 2011.

1. WillEH, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I understand that lot's of thread have been made, but I'm not going through all of them for this particular issue. MR is here to help, and discuss. :)

First issue, Heat is terrible, hitting 80c just browsing forum, and fans hit 5000-6000 RPM.. Likely to be fixed?

100% battery, 2 hours remaining? - Likely to be fixed?

Yes, I'm running Lion. 15" i7 2.2, 8GB MBP 2011.

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

3. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I don't seem to have these issues. What machine and specs do you have?

With the machine in my signature, I'm currently driving a 23" monitor with Chrome, Rdio, VLC and iChat open and I'm at 63*C.

4. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Oo that would help.

15" i7 2.2, 8GB MBP 2011.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Did this happen just after the install? If so, Lion is likely just indexing your drive. It should settle down after an hour or two.

Just browsing has me hovering around 50'C on my MacBook Pro 8,2.

6. Lenas macrumors newbie

Do you have Windows installed through Parallels, with an application folder stack in your dock?

If so, remove the applications from your dock and see if the problem persists.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yep, that's probably what it is. Something you could have learned from others' experiences if you searched.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Where are you seeing that the OP just installed Lion? I've been running it since day one, and it averages ~15 degrees F warmer for me than SL.

9. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

No, installed a few days ago. Happens all the time.

Nope, I never said anything about just installing, I also know how MR works, I know to search for issues. Thanks for the input.

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Lion is running at around the same temperature as SL did on my MacBook pro. It has to be the drive indexing or something. I have had a very good experience with lion and performance has been great.

11. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

He probably just assumed spotlight was indexing as a lot of people came here freaking out.

I would assume there's no processes jumping out in Activity Monitor?

12. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Correct, nothing going crazy :(

13. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I'm having the same issues, OP. My computer seems to be running hotter and my battery life is suffering.

I just got the gfxcardstatus app, and its telling me that even when i web browse, I'm using the dedicated Radeon chip, and not the integrated chip. I'm not sure how it switched in SL, but i don't need a dedicated graphics card to load facebook...

I switched it to integrated only, so we'll see if that works.

14. Smork macrumors member

My battery life has gotten worse also.

With my 2011 15" i7 mbp, I've yet to see it ever switch to the integrated graphics without having to specify it in gfxcardstatus. I opened one page of Chrome, and it switch to the dedicated graphics card.

15. JayDH macrumors 6502

Same here. 2011 2.2GHz 15" MBP. Used to easily get 7 hours of battery and now I am lucky to get 3.5. Machine is running very hot. Hope they release a fix soon.

16. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I don't have the heat issue nor the battery life problem but the list of Lion bugs that I've accumulated is much longer than with L or SL.

10.7.1 can't come soon enough for me.

For me, BT is very buggy and OS X can't find my mouse once it wakes...sigh.

17. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have lost some battery life on my 2011 mbp. I have a few other issues that I hope get fixed and really hate the full screen mode with a second monitor.

18. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Is there an option or hack to keep the bookmark bar shown in full screen mode? I can't believe how much time seems to be wasted waiting for the menu to drop down or having to click up there to get it to show.

19. Asylump macrumors member

Running much hotter than I was a few weeks before Lion as well.

Battery life is pretty similar, seems a bit weaker than it was with Snow Leopard.

Anyone else find Lion a resource hog? With SL I wouldn't ever hit 3GB after a week, but with 1 day of uptime on Lion I'm rocking over 5GB used up... Memory leak? Or am I just going crazy...

20. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I've experienced the complete opposite...

If I leave my MBP on a very solid, flat surface (i.e. well ventilated) and allow the machine to "warm up" for ~30 minutes, I can easily observe idle temperatures around ~36C. That is frigid for a Macbook Pro.

Even before Lion, my temperatures have been amazing. Before I was seeing around 38C. So that difference might be environmental. Regardless, I have not seen any abnormal increases in temperature.

My temperatures did seem to spike rather high under light conditions 30 minutes post-install. This was caused by the Spotlight Indexing services though.

All is well here!

21. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

^+1

My late-2008 uMBP has actually been running cooler. The fans are kicking up much less. And my battery life seems better.

22. nickali macrumors newbie

If you right click in the menu bar and click customize menu you can add a bookmark bar icon to the menu bar. Then when you click the icon the bar will show. I love my bookmark bar and had to have it back!

23. kadder macrumors newbie

I've got the same issues with battery lifetime and fan-speed - it's just annoying, that my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13,3" has these problems. Currently, I can only work with a plugged in power supply.

I hope there'll be a fix soon - since it seems happen to all models of macbooks, I guess it won't last.

24. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Well, I received my brand new 13 MBP i5 2,2GHz yesterday. After setting it up, I cloned the harddrive, and installed my SSD.
    Even though I was aware of the (probably) issues with battery drian, and heat, I took the plunge, and installed Lion.
    No problem. The indexing of the SSD took about 20 mins. I then restarted the MBP, and the battery indicator showed 7 hours+. No heat issues.

25. GoGamecocks macrumors member

Yea, but what was your battery indicator before Lion? Mine was 10-11 hrs. now I am getting approximately 6 hours with Lion. Talked to Apple Care and they were unaware of the battery issue