Are they changing the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elyquin, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Elyquin macrumors member

I bought the iPhone 4 for my wife (upgraded her from 3G). She doesn't care one bit about technology. In otherwords, she is not picky at all about tech products like members of this site.

She has complained about call dropping on her new iPhone. She never complained about her iPhone 3G.

Is there a new iPhone 4 design coming out? Wasn't there news about some delay in production because of a redesign?

My cell phone contract is over and looking to get an iPhone throught the business, but I am willing to wait a few months if they are changing the iPhone.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you using a case on this iPhone 4? Have you or your wife noticed how she holds the iPhone and whether she may be resting a finger on the black band on the lower left edge?

As of yet there is no concrete evidence of a redesigned iPhone 4, Apple would have had to file some paperwork to the FCC and you would have heard about on major news sites not just rumor mills. The only product that has a delay is the white iPhone 4.

3. Elyquin thread starter macrumors member

She puts on a screen shield and a case when she gets any new iPhone. She holds it no differently than she did with her 3G.

It is just very strange that she complains about her phone. She is the type of person who takes a picture, and as long as she can make out who the person is on the photo, she doesn't care how blurry the photo is.

4. Elyquin thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, my wife woundn't care if her iPhone had 100 dead pixels or yellow banding. She only wants things to work. Why would she complain about her new phone when she never did about her old phone?

Oh.. wait I forgot about our iPad 3G 64Gb, iPad WiFi 64Gb.

By the way, our iMac has no dead pixels, no yellow banding, no overheating. Our iPads have no problems either, except for the 3G one not turning on sometimes by the on/off button (have to push both buttons). We don't look for flaws in our Apple products.

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Yous' trollin'.

There are no iPhone 4Gs yet.

/end thread.

6. The LPT macrumors regular

i'm just wondering if she doesn't really care for technology why bother upgrading her 3G (unless it broke or something)

7. aohus macrumors 68000

you're calling him a troll because his wife is saying her iP4 drops calls? really dislike the hardcore apple fan base.

OP, get a case to remedy the situation. New iPhone4 design will be out later in the year. They probably won't say anything about it to the press, but rest assured a new internal design is in place for future iphones to remedy the dropped call issue due to attenuation.

8. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Like I said, my wife woundn't care if her iPhone had 100 dead pixels or yellow banding. She only wants things to work. Why would she complain about her new phone when she never did about her old phone?

Oh.. wait I forgot about our iPad 3G 64mb, iPad WiFi 64mb.

By the way, our iMac has no dead pixels, no yellow banding, no overheating. Our iPads have no problems either, except for the 3G one not turning on sometimes by the on/off button (have to push both buttons). We don't look for flaws in our Apple products.[/QUOTE]

OK...I was checking all those wishful thinking post about a iP4 upgrade end of september without replying to any until this one.

First...don't expect any upgrade before next june to the iPhone 5. It's common sense. Apple went public telling that there is no specific issue to reception and if they upgrade their iPhone 4 outside of their regular usual schedule with a modification to the antenna, they are opening the door to a massive class action...with more than 3-4 millions units sold...come on think about it.

Second...as many pointed out, it needs to go through FCC approval.

Finally, in my house, I have 2 to 3 barsl. When I put my finger on the famous spot, I usually lose 1 bar and never went out of signal. The spot is at the most 1 cm wide (that's the usual average finger width. I would say, ask your wife to put her finger 1 cm higher or lower...try it, I guarantee you, it's not very very difficult. If it too difficult, get the free bumper and you won't have any issue anymore.

I can tell you one thing though, for me, having the bumper was more of an issue than the supposed antenna faulty design...it forced me to change my belt case, change my car holder and throw away the nice iPhone 4 dock.

Unfortunately, SJobs was right right off the bat..."it's a non issue, just avoid holding that way". The benefits of that design are much greater than this downside of signal attenuation IMHO

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

To repeat myself, the new iPhone is called iPhone 4, not iP4, not iPhone 4G, not 4G iPhone. The iPhone 4. There are no 4Gs yet.

Obviously you didn't read my post. I'm done.

10. Elyquin thread starter macrumors member

To ozzyman500:
    Because I make a mistake in my sig, you call me a troll. I fixed my sig.

To The LPT:
    I upgrade her stuff because I love her and I have a nice job.

----------------------

To aohus:
    Yes, that is the rumor I had read before about a possible new internal design. Thank you.

To benoitgphoto:
    Thank you.

11. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, they will change the iPhone.

Will it be a new version of the iPhone 4?

No one here can answer that. Anyone who pretends to know the answer is speculating.

12. darkside flow macrumors 6502

iP4 is correct as an abbreviation of iPhone 4.

iPhone 4G/4G iPhone is correct in referencing the fourth generation iPhone.

13. Xkwizito macrumors newbie

Jobs already commented about the rates of dropped calls on the 3GS vs. the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 drops less calls apparently.

I am coming from using the Google G1, and the iPhone 4 drops calls more, but it is way more functional than the G1.

I don't think Apple will do any kind of hardware revisions on the iPhone 4 because that would be completely unfair to current iPhone 4 owners. Their response to the issue of dropped calls was giving everyone free cases.

14. The LPT macrumors regular

I never realized buying an iPhone 4 was required for having a nice job. I have a nice job and I love my wife as well. I just have the common sense to not buy her things she's not going to appreciate.

But to stay on topic and answer you original question. I don't think there will be any major change to the antenna. If anything it will be a simple coating on the antenna or bumper that is included in the box. The phone in it's current state is still selling extremely well. Why would they spend extra money to change what the majority of people don't consider a problem. People who complain vocally or on websites are not the majority.

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

He said that the iPhone 4 drops 1call/100calls more than the 3GS. Taking that statistic beyond face value can be misleading. For example, if the 3GS dropped .2calls/100calls, then the iPhone 4 drops calls 6 times as much as the 3GS.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeah, but your example can also be considered misleading w/out the actual 3GS drop call rate used in the study....:rolleyes:
    For example if the 3GS dropped 2/100 calls, then the iPhone 4 (3/100) drops calls 1.5 times more than the 3GS ...
    Obviously the higher the drop calls on the 3GS the less difference and vice-versa, w/out the actual 3GS drop rate # used in the study to calculate the extra drop call in the iPhone 4, made up examples won't give the real difference...

17. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

That is due to the fact that it is not Jan 2011 yet.

There will also be a 7" iPad exclusive to Verizon or Sprint to compete with the smaller tablets from Samsung and such with F & R cameras. No camera for the 10" till next year. The 10" will be GSM in Jan on at&t along with the iPhone 4 Rev B on at&t, T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint. Only 1 CDMA carrier for Rev B. No 4s. This is the delay in the White Phone. Not paint, LOL.

White innards in Black or White GSM, or CDMA Jan 11. :apple:

18. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

19. milamber macrumors regular

Why don't you read the macrumors forum guide. Here, I'll point you to something which I think would be quite relevant to you.

To the OP:
    As far as I know, the free case program is still running so you can pick up a case that would solve your wife's problem.

20. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

wow you actually think a new iphone is coming out later this year....

21. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

nonsense...I stopped reading at "exclusive to Verozon"

22. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

There will be no new iPhone this year. Period. Confirmed!!!!!

There will be no new iPads this year. Period. Confirmed!!!!!

There will be no iPads of any different sizes this year. Period. Confirmed!!!!!

Do you people who keep saying that these things will happen get the message? It will not happen.

23. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

That would seem to be the obvious timeline, however Apple lost over 20% of possible sales due to before mentioned stuff sice the intro.

There is still a 3 week wait online. Are you really that blind? Production is not being ramped up until the new Foxxcon line come online and the Rev B white iPhone 4 can be had in Black as well.

Apple is just making enough to keep of the elusion of no Rev B. in Jan 11.

Go ahead and laugh. I'm looking forward to the first teardown of the CDMA phone. I just hope the GSM changes are the same as I want to stay with at&t now that they finally have good coverage in my area after 3 years.:apple:

24. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Tom,

That's a No Brainer. We are talking Jan 2011. That is next year. 7" Pad announced end of Nov, available Jan 11. :apple:

25. ikaveh macrumors regular

you are making a very good point
    I was thinking about that too, :D