Are they just avoiding the Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, May 14, 2016.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Sling TV, PS vue and Amazon Video are three of the most popular streaming services that conspicuously do not have a tvOS app even though they support iOS. For companies that would seem to want you to stick with them on every Device you own (Like Netflix) they seem to avoid the ATV 4 like its a plague.

What gives? Did Amazon and Google sign exclusive agreements with Dish and PlayStation to get first rights? Like Apple had with HBOGO?

2. Mac... nificent, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016

Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

They have made no effort to keep their promise of coming out with an app.

They "think" that by not being on Apple TV that it will somehow hurt Apple, but they're really just shooting themselves in the foot, because when it comes time to renew Prime, I'll REMEMBER how it's not on the device (Apple TV) that I use the most, and probably just get netflix or something else that IS on Apple TV.

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

That's from last year.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2016 ---
    +1

Although Amazon is trying to best Netflix, they seem to have not learned this major thing from them:

Be on every device with or attached to a screen.

4. benjitek, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

They don't appear to be in a hurry might be a more accurate statement than the broken-promise angle. There hasn't actually been an announcement from Amazon about an ATV4 app other than a supposed customer service response circulated through the tech blogosphere a while back. Some articles that quoted the response included a disclaimer that Amazon hadn't responded to requests to verify the validity of the statement. Again, hardly a promise.

A recent Business Insider article sums it all up in a more factual manner. MacRumors covered this topic retread way back last November...

5. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

This article simply speculates like every thing else in print about this topic. The fact is that Amazon needs to get on Apple TV if they don't want to start losing revenue from people leaving prime. Of course they want to make as much money as possible, but they'll be holding the short end of the stick if they hold out much longer. Time is not on there side. They make more money by being on every screen possible than by avoiding them. Hey Amazon, tell me again why I should pay for your service when I can't use your service on the devices I own?

6. andrewstirling macrumors regular

Hmmm. Are you asking apple the same about iTunes?

7. tanfan macrumors regular

Nobody here will want to hear or (or believe) but Apple is the one keeping these, and lot's of other apps off. Sure they say all are welcome, but under what terms? Makes more sense than everybody is to lazy to make an app! Roku has had most of these and many other competing apps for years, of course, no itunes though....Hmm?

8. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Hardly "the fact". I doubt the numbers for consumers who might not join or renew Prime just because there's no AppleTV app are of any significance. It's likely more people 'threaten' to do so by typing it in an open forum than actually do. A more probable concern would be the impact on ATV sales by consumers going with an alternate platform because they can't get Prime on ATV.

Given Amazon's recent earnings report (4th straight profit, 28% increase in sales) looks like they're doing just fine dragging their feet on ATV support.

9. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

iTunes isn't a monthly subscription service so it's not really comparable. People aren't paying monthly for an iTunes subscription and then not being able to watch their films on their desired platform.
    Each time you make a purchase on iTunes that is an individual purchase/decision done with the knowledge that you will be tied to Apples ecosystem to view it.
    On demand subscription services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video benefit from being on every available platform as many customers, myself included, factor this in massively when deciding which service to stay with.

10. archer75 macrumors 65816

The same argument can be made for amazon prime. If you make the choice to subscribe to it, it's with the knowledge that it's on a limited number of devices and have then made the choice to accept that by paying for it.
    It's your choice and you know it advance. It would be stupid to subscribe to it if it's not on your platform of choice. It's equally as stupid to purchase a platform for a service that is not available on it.

11. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I wholeheartedly agree. Apple TV is my primary platform for watching TV so for me, Amazon Prime just isn't a viable option, whereas if it was available on the Apple TV it would be on my On Demand service of choice, based on the available content.
    The point I was trying to make is that a one off purchase is an easier decision to make because you know exactly what you are buying and what platform you intend to watch it on. If i sit down on a Friday night and want to rent/buy a specific film then i'd do so on the most convenient platform at that time (which for me would always be iTunes but may be different for other users). Picking an on demand service is not so easy as they offer different content as well as different platforms.
    To try and summarise concisely what i'm trying to say, If every on demand service (Netflix/Amazon) was available on every platform then that is greatly expanding the amount of content accessible on each platform, whereas having iTunes on rival platforms wouldnt expand the available content as films/tv shows are already available for purchase on every device, from one service or another.

12. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple learned that lesson with Microsoft. At first SJ was against it, but was convinced otherwise. And Apple Music is also available on Android. It is not much, but being who Apple is.... It's a big step.

IMHO Apple is less interested in porting their services because their business model is selling hardware with software designed specifically for it.

13. tanfan macrumors regular

Amazon video is exactly like itunes. They just happen to offer free rotating group of video, to prime customers within Amazon video. They do this as an enticement, hoping customers will then use Amazon video for purchases and rentals. Apple would probably let them on the Apple TV if they would separate Amazon prime video from Amazon video but Amazon is trying to compete with Vudu, itunes, Google play etc...not really so much Netflix imo.

14. bluespark macrumors 65816

Is that a "fact"? Or is it possible that they have made a calculation that shows that the revenue lost from those leaving Prime over this decision is more than offset by revenue gained from those choosing Fire TV to get the app (or those choosing another platform in which Amazon has a revenue interest, or that it gains an "ecosystem" benefit from this that it otherwise would surrender to Apple)?

My point is not necessarily that Amazon has made an optimal business decision, but rather that they certainly have made one that accounts in some way for the revenue they believe they are losing by not being "on every screen possible." Whatever they are doing, they aren't doing it by happenstance.

15. Rigby macrumors 601

Amazon isn't only Prime. They also run a movie store for individual purchases and rental that happens to be iTunes' biggest direct competitor (currently #2 in market share).

16. cynics macrumors G3

If I wasn't vested into iTunes and use AirPlay quite as much I'd probably just ditch the ATV. My PS4 does just fine and has all of the apps I use on my ATV plus more that I need to use the PS4 for anyway like Funimation. I think they just can't be bothered to make an ATV app. I can AirPlay the app or just use my PS4 which is much easier.

I can see very few apps being updated already, many are still on their release version (which is buggy). It's kind of sad really. Most of my apps I need to completely close for them to refresh data how is that user friendly? I don't know if devs even have a way to accomplish this.

17. shandyman Suspended

A flaw in your point is that Amazon Prime is already on iOS, but iTunes isn't already on Android or the like. Since a lot of Apple TV apps are bundled as part of the existing iOS apps, there's not much excuse.

18. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

I would use the PS4 much more often for media consumption except for two reasons.

1. Just about any strain on the system starts an annoyingly loud and obnoxious fan (yes, my ps4 is well ventilated).

2. The ps4 game controller is required to control playback. It is incredibly awkward and frustrating to use for media playback control. An "official" remote has been released but reviews are awful. The ps3 remote worked great. Disappointing for the ps4.

Otherwise the ps4 does have every media option I personally care about outside of itunes and airplay.

19. Rigby macrumors 601

The iOS app is crippled (you cannot buy or rent movies in it). It's just a mobile companion service. Completely different from a service for the living room. Amazon wants people to be able to purchase and rent stuff without jumping through hoops, obviously, which would be in direct competition with iTunes.
    I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's not technical issues that prevent an Amazon app for TVOS.

20. shandyman Suspended

I'm talking about in regards to the Prime Video side, the on demand part. That's what people associate with Amazon Prime Video, that's what Amazon advertise more. Amazon prioritize that, as that hooks them a regular income.

No, its laziness or pig headed attitude thinking it will drive people to the Amazon fire stick, when I'm fact, it just means they lose the potential customers invested in iOS.

21. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Use a Harmony remote instead.

22. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're taking this too personally, they realize there's nothing beneficial in it for them. Apple is too late, too controlling and too greedy. Go ahead and drop them since thats going to make you feel vindicated.

23. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

24. shandyman Suspended

Because the developers for Vudu haven't made an app. Contract them and ask for one .