Are those hard cases a good idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meever, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

Seems like it would hurt circulation and cover up vents.... could someone who owns one chime in on the heat issue?

Thanks

2. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

there is no heat issues,
    and it won't hurt it whatsoever.
    actually, i heard it makes it even better for ventilation since it props the laptop up a bit so there's air room inbetween.
    not sure if that's true or not.

but, i wouldn't have a laptop without one.
    they're very good, and they won't hurt your machine at all.
    only protect it from hurts.

p.s: i've used both a Speck and InCase hardshell on my laptop.
    Both are good, but Speck covers the entire thing while InCase leaves a little bit of lip room.
    So I would probably recommend the Speck if you're debating between the two.

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

There is nothing wrong with having a hardcase but imo, it's a little bulky for my taste. I bought this machine to admire it's looks, not to cover it up.

Then again, I have to be extra careful not to hurt my poor baby.

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Ditto!

5. plaztikrhino macrumors newbie

I have a few customers that use the hard shells and to me they feel bulky. I'm sure they provide plenty of protection though.

6. Reapur macrumors regular

I would say even tho it has little vent holes drilled in the bottom of it, plastic acts as an insulator which would hold in more heat. The way MBPs vent heat is through the hinge of display and there are no air intakes on the bottom of the machine.

That said i dont see the hardshell aiding in cooling any but also dont really see it causing any significant heat gain from it either since we all know hot air rises.

My route would be to buy a purpose made laptop bag or neoprene sleeve and travel with it like that. The chances of the computer getting damaged while sitting on a table or your lap are pretty low unless you are a really careless person.

If you have to put your computer on a less than ideal surface like a rock or concrete just put the neoprene sleeve or bag under the computer to protect it. I dont like the bulk the hard shells add and when dirt and dust get between the computer and shell it can act as an abrasive which will end up scratching the machine anyways.

In the end do what feels right for you, its your money after all!

7. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

8. Reapur macrumors regular

I know, I never stated the shell did cover the hinge.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Logic should tell you that any time you cover something with plastic, it will insulate. Do you ever feel the bottom of your MBP and it was warm?

10. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I dislike the hard cases very much. It adds bulk and it covers the beauty of the machine in my opinion. However, after having dented my MBA that I owned previously I have decided that it is just something that I will put up with for the sake of safety. It's either a temporary and removable ugliness or risk permanent ugliness if you were to damage the casing without using a hard case.

11. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Yea I use speck and would also recommend it. The grip on the bottom is much better than what is on the macs case so it wont slide away easily and help open the lid. Protection is great and it doesnt affect circulation of air.