are u still using backgrounder?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hatersgonnahate, Sep 15, 2010.

1. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

iphone 4 users? do u have any issues with it?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I continue to use Backgrounder on my iPhone 3GS on 4.0, though I do not use it actually to background applications. I use it merely to control which apps are natively backgrounded.

3. mcbey macrumors newbie

I'm using it for things like netflix that don't have native support.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Same here......but on an iPhone 4.

With Backgrounder, I prevent apps that do not actually do something in the background (use Fast App Switching only) from staying open when they are minimized. I also, use Backgrounder to close some apps that would otherwise stay open when minimized. Note: You will want to have "Remove Recents" installed as well.

Using Backgrounder in this way means I don't need apps like Multifl0w or SwitcherPlus to manage switched out apps.

S-

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ Applw did a bad job imo so I still use backgrounder from time to time!

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

i use backgrounder so i can keep navigon running in the background for longer than 10 minutes, e.g. on a road trip.

7. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

dont ur iphone get hot when using gps?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't have a reason to use it, since Pandora and iHeart Radio are natively backgrounded now.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Not really. My i4 never really gets very hot. My iPhone 3G was much worse in that department. It would get so hot it would stop charging.

10. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

never used it before... iPhone 4 is my first iphone and jailbreak. Doesn't seem to need backgrounder as the integrated multitasking works great

11. Foamybrian macrumors newbie

I still use to it to allow full multitasking to apps that would benefit from running in the background instead of the native option and to select which apps should shut off on exit.

It spares me the trouble of having to selectively close every single app I don't want running using multifl0w/stock process viewer.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too.
    I don't even have it installed.

13. Kayan macrumors 6502

Backgrounder for me is overkill, if I want true multitasking, then I should probably find a computer nearby and finish whatever is taking that much true multitasking in half of the time it would take to do on a 2 inch keyboard/touchscreen. Apple implemented this in a great way for battery life and simplicity.

14. troyhouse macrumors 6502

i use it for chat clients such as palringo for gtalk, xmpp chat stuff, very useful. and i also use remove background that can be customized to remove programs running in background... and both works just great....

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You don't have to use Backgrounder to to allow "true" multitasking. I don't.

A powerful feature of Backgrounder is its ability to control what apps are allowed to use Apple's multitasking features. There are apps that do multitask that I don't want to multitask. Backgrounder makes it easy to control this.

With Backgrounder and Remove Recents installed, Apple's app switcher is actually useful since only the apps I want running in the background will be present. I don't have to slide through a list of apps that I don't need to see.

S-

16. threezero macrumors 6502

i don't but I would like to.

like ^ mentioned i used it momentarily on the iphone 4 to control what can background and what can't

Would love to continue using it but I've found that no matter what setting i use for the default mail app if i use background it would kill the push.

Unless that issue has been fix. I need my push mail more:(

17. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

for some reason when i try to make the app quit, its not working. (tried it on loopt)

18. tesilential macrumors regular

I use backgrounder to force multitasking on games that have not been updated for it yet.

Also, for Safari and other file downloading apps, so I can download longer than 10 minutes without having to reopen the app.

It's nice to have for games with load times, I can switch over for a minute and not get bored staring the loading screen.

19. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

i deleted backgrounder now.

im now using remove recents and switcher plus. works well together. plus i dont like the fact that backgrounder resprings everytime i make a change.

20. Liberty. macrumors 6502

I never used backgrounder and i'm fine with Apples solution.

21. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

I continue to exclusively run backgrounder. I use the global overrides to allow Apple's native apps to run in native mode, but for 99% of the other apps I have I run them in full backgrounder mode and completely bypass Apple's multitasking.

Am I really the only who thinks Apple did a piss poor job of implementing multitasking in iOS4?

State saving is great from time to time, but I would rather have app's I seldom use take a bit of time to load, and allow more free RAM for my truly backgrounded apps. Unless you leave your app doing something ultra complex the backgrounded app is going to use a minuscule amount of processing power.

22. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Piss poor? I don't think so. You just don't like the compromises Apple chose to make in order to ensure decent battery life. For the vast majority of iPhone users, I think Apple made excellent choices.

S-

23. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Only time I used the Backgrounder was when I was playing some game before iOS4 came out and the game didn't have an auto save feature. Other than that I've had zero use for it.

24. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Will definitely be installing it once I jailbreak my phone. It's really useful for some apps, mainly Internet apps.

MSN Messenger: Requires you to reconnect everytime you close it.

Skype: Likewise. Plus sometimes when I'm having a conversation I would like to lock my phone.

IRC: Has no chat logging so I need to be logged in the whole time.

Maps: GPS stops tracking once you close it and it takes awhile before locking into a signal.

25. tesilential macrumors regular

Do you all not download large files directly onto the iPhone?

When I download files I don't want to stare at the progress bar for minutes/hours, backgrounder is the only way I know of to continue downloading for over 10 minutes without killing the download.