Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
Will definitely be installing it once I jailbreak my phone. It's really useful for some apps, mainly Internet apps.

MSN Messenger: Requires you to reconnect everytime you close it.

Skype: Likewise. Plus sometimes when I'm having a conversation I would like to lock my phone.

IRC: Has no chat logging so I need to be logged in the whole time.

Maps: GPS stops tracking once you close it and it takes awhile before locking into a signal.

exactly, these are the reasons to use backgrounder, coupled with remove backgrounds. ios multitasking does not do anything for chat programs...

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Do you all not download large files directly onto the iPhone?

When I download files I don't want to stare at the progress bar for minutes/hours, backgrounder is the only way I know of to continue downloading for over 10 minutes without killing the download.

Nope, sounds like you are using installous or something else

what other big files DO YOU NEED to download directly on your iPhone that otherwise can't be transferred onto it via itunes/ssh ?

I installed Backgrounder on my 3gs, but its pretty pointless now given how little added value it has

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
For my purposes, I have found the perfect way to use Backgrounder on my iPhone 4.

My goal was to setup my iPhone as follows:

1. Only certain apps would run in the background by default.

2. Any app could be manually made to run in the background using the native iOS 4.x method if supported or the Backgrounder method if the app did not support the native iOS 4.x method.

3. Apps that I did not choose to run in the background, either by default or manually, would not show up in the task switcher. This would be true even if the app supported any part of the iOS native backgrounding API.

I accomplished these three goals by doing the following:

1. Installed Backgrounder and Remove Recents.

2. In Backgrounder:

Under "Global":

- Set the "Backgrounding method" to "Auto Detect".

- Set "Enable at Launch" to "Off".

- Set "Stay Enabled" to "On".

- Set "Badge" and "Status Bar Icon" to "On".

- Set "Minimize on Toggle" to "Off".

Under "Overrides" add the apps you want to background whenever they run and select the backgrounding method and options you want for that app.

Now, my iPhone backgrounds app exactly how I want it to. Apps that I don't have setup to background by default can be made to do so by briefly holding down the Home button. I am quite happy with this setup.

S-

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
IRC: Has no chat logging so I need to be logged in the whole time.

Have you tried colloquy? I have it for the iPhone and iPad. You can run a bouncer on your Mac (in my case an iMac that's always idling on irc) so your computer at home is always connected. Through colloquy on the iPhone/iPad, you connect to your colloquy bouncer, not straight to irc. People on irc won't even be able to tell you're on your phone. Meanwhile, it saves the logs and when I log in on my iPhone I see all the messages that happened while I was away.

Truly awesome and full of win. If you're a Mac person and you use irc check out colloquy.

hatersgonnahate

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
For my purposes, I have found the perfect way to use Backgrounder on my iPhone 4.

My goal was to setup my iPhone as follows:

1. Only certain apps would run in the background by default.

2. Any app could be manually made to run in the background using the native iOS 4.x method if supported or the Backgrounder method if the app did not support the native iOS 4.x method.

3. Apps that I did not choose to run in the background, either by default or manually, would not show up in the task switcher. This would be true even if the app supported any part of the iOS native backgrounding API.

I accomplished these three goals by doing the following:

1. Installed Backgrounder and Remove Recents.

2. In Backgrounder:

Under "Global":

- Set the "Backgrounding method" to "Auto Detect".

- Set "Enable at Launch" to "Off".

- Set "Stay Enabled" to "On".

- Set "Badge" and "Status Bar Icon" to "On".

- Set "Minimize on Toggle" to "Off".

Under "Overrides" add the apps you want to background whenever they run and select the backgrounding method and options you want for that app.

Now, my iPhone backgrounds app exactly how I want it to. Apps that I don't have setup to background by default can be made to do so by briefly holding down the Home button. I am quite happy with this setup.

S-

here's my update.

i uninstalled removerecents

and installed backgrounder and switcherplus (i like how u can "kill prior" and have exclusions at the sametime).

this works for me. :p

hatersgonnahate

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
what does the kill prior do? is it like remove recent?

lets say u open (in this order) camera, calendar, safari.

on your taskswitcher

safari, calendar, camera will appear.

if you click calendar to remove prior, on switcherplus it will remove calendar and camera as well.

hope this makes sense,

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
here's my update.

i uninstalled removerecents

and installed backgrounder and switcherplus (i like how u can "kill prior" and have exclusions at the sametime).

this works for me. :p

I tried SwitcherPlus for a while. But I could not find a good reason to keep any app that did not multitask in the task switcher. To me it is pointless. Why have a bunch of apps living in the task switcher that aren't running tasks??

The "Favorites" concept in SwitcherPlus is completely misguided in my opinion. It's a task switcher, not a favorites launcher.

Remove Recents and Backgrounder together make much more sense to me.

But, whatever floats your boat......

S-

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Have you tried colloquy? I have it for the iPhone and iPad. You can run a bouncer on your Mac (in my case an iMac that's always idling on irc) so your computer at home is always connected. Through colloquy on the iPhone/iPad, you connect to your colloquy bouncer, not straight to irc. People on irc won't even be able to tell you're on your phone. Meanwhile, it saves the logs and when I log in on my iPhone I see all the messages that happened while I was away.

Truly awesome and full of win. If you're a Mac person and you use irc check out colloquy.

Nah....my iPhone is my main internet connection. If I'm not at my computer, it means I'm out and I've probably taken my phone with me, meaning my computer has no internet connection. Besides it wouldn't really make sense to keep my computer on just for IRC anyway when I can connect to IRC straight from my iPhone.

IRC isn't the only problem. MSN tends to occasionally screw up too. I get a notification telling me someone messaged me but when I switch back I can't find the message.

And it's just horrible to multitask between web surfing and chatting at the same time. I'm surfing a site, then I switch to my chat program and it needs about 10 - 15 seconds to connect back again. Every time I want to check my chat program I need to wait awhile for it to reconnect.

hatersgonnahate

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I tried SwitcherPlus for a while. But I could not find a good reason to keep any app that did not multitask in the task switcher. To me it is pointless. Why have a bunch of apps living in the task switcher that aren't running tasks??

The "Favorites" concept in SwitcherPlus is completely misguided in my opinion. It's a task switcher, not a favorites launcher.

Remove Recents and Backgrounder together make much more sense to me.

But, whatever floats your boat......

S-
I think it actually makes sense. To each his own. It works for what I need. I just don't like how limited remove recents is. The fact that you can't control it.

hatersgonnahate

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Makes sense because it does what I want. Which is remove previously used apps. Plus having the ability to make exceptions. I know u can do the same with removerecents if u use it in conjunction with backgrounder.
I just find this combination more beneficial for me.

DrGold

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
I can't get Skype to background on my iphone4. I'm using the setup that Sidewinder posted above. Instead of the usual backgrounder icon, there is a box with an "n" in the corner. Any help would be appreciated.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I can't get Skype to background on my iphone4. I'm using the setup that Sidewinder posted above. Instead of the usual backgrounder icon, there is a box with an "n" in the corner. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't use Skype...but, have you tried setting up an exception for Skype that has it use "Backgrounder" as the backgrounding method?

S-

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
I still use backgrounder to keep videos playing in the background when I want to quickly do something else

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I just wish there were a way to remove apps from the task switcher that are only using fast app switching without disabling fast app switching. I'm perfectly happy to let iOS 4 manage my memory and see no reason not to keep saved states in unneeded RAM to speed up app start, but I don't want all those apps clogging up my task switcher.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I just wish there were a way to remove apps from the task switcher that are only using fast app switching without disabling fast app switching. I'm perfectly happy to let iOS 4 manage my memory and see no reason not to keep saved states in unneeded RAM to speed up app start, but I don't want all those apps clogging up my task switcher.

Here is what I just sent to chpwn in regards to ProSwitcher:

The problem I have with Apple’s task switcher is that, over time, it fills up with all the apps you run and it becomes unwieldy to switch to another app you really want to bring to the foreground.

Showing four apps, or five if we use your Five Icon Switcher, and sliding the icons to the left or right to find the app you are looking for is a pain and a waste of time if you have dozens of apps in the task switcher. ProSwitcher doesn’t really solve the problem. It looks cool, but it doesn’t do anything to speedup finding the app you want.

What I would like to to see is an enhancement to the Apple task switcher that would show multiple lines of apps on one page. Here is a detailed description of what I think would be an awesome task switcher:

When you double press the home button, the task switcher would open with the Rotation control, iPod controls, and iPod app icon on the bottom row. Then, build up to 4 rows (in 4 or 5 columns – could be a user setting to control this) worth of background apps above the “control” row. I would prefer these rows be built from the bottom up. But a configuration option to build them from the top down would be a good idea for those that don’t like my preference. This should accommodate 16 to 20 apps on the page along with the rotation and iPod controls. If there were more apps than would fit on this page, either scroll the page horizontally like the spring board or vertically like Infiniboard. The row with the rotation and iPod controls would always stay at the bottom.

I would include a “Favorites” option that would allow me to select apps that, if running, would show up at the beginning of the list of apps. If building the rows from the bottom up, the apps would be in the rows starting at the bottom. If building the rows from the top down, the apps would be in the rows starting at the top.

Why the “Favorites” option? It would allow me to keep the apps I really want to find easily at the front of the list.

This would be fantastic because the user would have access to the Rotation control, iPod controls, iPod app, and Torch control and up to 20 apps with one double press of the home button. All the controls and apps would be easy to identify because the icons and names would be right there on one screen.

ProSwitcher with its Palm webOS interface and Multifl0w with its Expose interface look cool but make for much slower interfaces. Do we need or really want to see small representations of our app’s current screen contents? Does that make switching better?

S-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.