Carrier are Verizon iPhones from Best Buy unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Aug 19, 2017.

1. CPR556, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

CPR556 macrumors newbie

I’m pretty sure the back of my box says A1864. I’ll verify when I get home.

ETA: yes model is A1864

2. mjr1000 macrumors member

Thanks for this. To make sure I understand correctly, here is an example:

If I purchase an iPhone from Best Buy under AT&T next, and if when I receive the phone I first activate with a Verizon SIM, then I can simply replace with my AT&T SIM and use on my AT&T account without issue, but can also use on other networks (e.g, abroad) when needed? Or will I completely screw up my phone if I activate with an "under contract" AT&T phone with a Verizon SIM?

3. JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

Could someone please answer this question for me: If I do use a Verizon SIM card to unlock an AT&T iPhone x, will the phone then always display the Verizon start up screen and programming, every time the phone powers on?

I have an LG phone, that I purchased from Verizon and now use with AT&T and everytime I turn it on, the Verizon logo and start up screen appear first. I also get prompted to update the Verizon related apps, every time I connect to WiFi. I would not want to go through this with my AT&T iPhone x.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    There is no Verizon startup screen on iphones.
    Or Verizon programming.
    Such carrier things or carrier customized settings and apps are not allowed on the iphone. You never used an iphone before?

5. JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

The last iPhone that I had was the iPhone 4. Once I realized that Apple refused to join the future, I switched to Android.

6. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

lol you opted for the future you described in last post. Apple does not allow any carrier logo/apps on iPhones!

7. JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your answers!

I preordered 4 iphone x's from Best Buy in the first 15 minutes of 10/27. They are all on the AT&T Next Plan, but it would be nice to have options, before meeting the unlock code criteria.

My delivery date (3 in store pick ups and 1 being shipped) says 11/3. However, the delivery info has not changed or updated yet. Is this typical for Best Buy...or did they clown me???

8. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i dont know what options are you talking about here. And according to the Best Buy purchase thread, it looks like most of the folks are not getting their iPhones on launch day!

9. JoeCool1, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

The option to be able to use the phone when traveling outside of the country and to be able to sell 3 of them as unlocked, before paying off AT&T.

I did not have the ability to buy the phones up front. If they are unlocked, I can sell the phones on a ebay (3 of them are for resale on ebay), and them pay off the AT&T plan while the phone is in transit to the buyer.

10. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

wow you are a scalper. if i am a buyer, i would not buy it until its fully paid off!!

11. JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

How would the buyer know it was not paid off? I will not activate the phones, so checking the IMEI will show the phone was never activated. After the buyer pays for the "Buy it Now" on ebay, I will transfer the money to my bank (takes less than a day for the transfer), then pay AT&T, before the phone is delivered to the buyer (it takes 2 to 3 days for Priority Mail to get delivered).

For years I've seen the iPhones listed on ebay just after launch. This year, I decided to "get in on it". Nothing ventured...nothing gained! If Best Buy delays too long, I'll just cancel 3 of them.

I read the Best Buy thread. Neither side seem too convincing (delivered on time or delayed). I ordered from bb as I knew many people would not know that the plan phones were not $100 extra, like buying out right.

I called bb 3 times, and each time was told they appear to be on time. We'll see!

Some online financial reports also listed bb as still having stock at 8AM on 10/27. You would think that they did some research before posting.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you dont activate with a verizon sim then the iphone will lock to the first carriers sim card that is inserted inside the phone.
    So if you advertise them as unlocked they will not be unlocked. Unless you open them, stick a verizon sim inside and activate it and then they are unlocked for good.

13. JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

I was going to list it as AT&T, but in the description section, let them know that it can be unlocked, but the box would have to be opened first. I don't think that would turn too many people away. It would probably sell just as fast listing it as AT&T.

I initially posted here about the Verizon SIM, for the one that I'm keeping.

Thank you for pointing that out though!

14. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

not all scalpers are the brightest...

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cool, as long as you know. ;)

16. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Yes.

I used to think Verizon was worse than AT&T because I wasn't a fan of CDMA over the more globally used GSM w/ sim cards. But once we got to the 4G/LTE era around 2011 with the HTC Thunderbolt and Verizon started having their 4G phones unlocked by 2014-2015, Verizon leap frogged over their competition.

Now iPhone and Pixel are the two best phones if you don't want carrier bloatware and want them unlocked to work on AT&T and T-Mobile. The Qualcomm modem found on their iPhone variant is just icing o the cake. Verizon is expensive though. But if you want the best coverage and best network, you ante up and pay premium for the superior and largest network.

17. JoeCool1 macrumors newbie

Your comment has no merit...oh wait...that probably went over your head.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    I used to have Verizon. It was the only carrier that had reliable service EVERYWHERE!..even 5000 ft high, in the Rocky Mountains...10 miles from a road...and absolutely no towers in sight.

Recently, the signal from verizon, where I live, got so bad, that I had to leave them. AT&T used to be absolutely terrible at my home, but my girlfriend has AT&T and she always has 3 to 4 bars. So, I switched to AT&T and now have perfect signal strength. Funny how things changed!

18. jdogg836 macrumors 6502

jdogg836

It can and will work as long as you do it correctly, but this is not supported in any way by either of the carriers you listed above. Best Buy shouldn't assist with this as we are partners with Apple, AT&T, and Verizon but clearly the information is out there. Caveat Emptor.

19. Xander032382 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this has been answered. I see from above that an inactive sim works fine, as long as it is Verizon, will a prepaid sim from Verizon work? If not, where do you get a Verizon sim if you do not have one?

Much appreciated for the help!!!

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you'll be fine using a prepaid verizon sim also.

21. JoeCool1, Nov 2, 2017

A lot of people are saying that Best Buy will not have iPhone x's available on the 3rd and that they indicate that they will, just to get orders.

I placed 4 orders on 10/27 (3 in the first 20 minutes and 1 at 8:30 AM). While I was ordering, it indicated that some (depending on gb size, color, carrier, etc.), would be available on 11/3, while others had availability dates of 11/10, 11/15, 12/2 and 12/15. If they were just trying to get orders, all of the available delivery dates would have been 11/3. I believe that they will have them on 11/3.

Does anyone have any accurate info on this?

Should this be posted elsewhere?

22. mjr1000 macrumors member

Thank you kind stranger. By doing it correctly, does that mean:
    1. Insert Verizon SIM
    2. Turn on phone and go through set-up
    3. Turn-off and replace with AT&T SIM
    4. Be happy

Last question - Is it ok to use an active Verizon SIM, say from my work phone or a friend's phone? Will the phone be tied to that account?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct on all the above.
    And yes you can use anyone's Verizon sim.
    It will not make any changes to his account or tie up anything.

24. jdogg836 macrumors 6502

jdogg836

Applejuiced beat me to it. The steps you listed are correct, and it will not affect anything with the Verizon sim or account. The days of getting iMessages tangled by inserting someone else's SIM card is over with.

25. JoeCool1, Nov 3, 2017

To unlock a iPhone x with a verizon SIM:

When you insert the Verizon SIM card, do you just have to go through the set up process or do you have to actually activate it?

I bought a post pay SIM from a Verizon store today (I do not have a Verizon account, so the card is not active).

I went through the set up process, but didn't set up the face id, password or Apple id. I also had to use WiFi to go through the set up process...is this the proper procedure?

A few minutes later, with the Verizon card still in it, a message appeared, stating that activation failed and listed the Verizon phone number (I recognize the Verizon phone number from when I used to have Verizon). I don't expect the phone to have been activated with Verizon, but just wanted to make sure that that is normal.

I then inserted a new inactivated AT&T SIM and got a "phone activation failed" message. Is this also normal?

Does the iphone need to be set up with iTunes? I didn't use iTunes or connect to a computer. Is this necessary?