Are we all just spoiled when it comes to phones?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PerplexShyt, Sep 29, 2011.

1. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

Think about it.

Us iPhoner's go back and forth with Droiders talking about "we have this!" and "you don't have that!". But think about it.

All the new phones are pretty awesome these days! I mean I love iphones, and I will always have an iphone, my wife has an iphone, and my 5 month daughter's first phone will be an iphone. But I see my friends with droids and other smart phones, and they are pretty cool too!

There has been a "cold war" of technology in the smart phones in the recent years which has boosted the technology that defines what a smart phone is.

And to dare call another smartphone a "piece of crap" or say things like "i'll never get a droid!" is pretty exaggerated (even though I have fun saying it lol)

But bottom line is, we are All just spoiled! We have awesome phones everywhere and we act like millionaires griping and comparing the contours of a new lamborghini to a new porsche!

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yes. I think this would fall under the "1st World Problems" mentality. All phones are good however everyone will have his/her own opinion on what is "The Best" phone out there is.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

And some of us stop being 13 and grow up.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You are a 100% right. I'm old enough to know of a world without such great tech and to say anyone of these great devices SUCKS is crazy. I have a brother in law who never grew up. Him, another B.I.L. and a friend recently bought flat screens and I asked them all about theirs when we together since I would like one for my basement. He just kept saying oh your's sucks, mine has a better refresh rate, your's cant do this etc etc. Its just his way of feeling better about his decision. He used my iphone once and it didnt turn the screen in the first mili-second after he turned it 90 degrees, and he was like nice phone, these iphones suck. He's still just a child on the playground who got the newest toy and needs to brag...

5. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Yea, I find it funny when people whine about modern cell phones, especially smart phones. If they really want something to whine about they should go pick up a Windows Mobile or Blackberry phone from >2007.

Then again, those were great compared to the Nokia phones we had in the late 90s/early 2000s, so in five years I'll probably be calling iPhones and Android phones terrible.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

People who had those Windows Mobile or Blackberry phones from before 2007 still whined, so I fail to see the point you're making?

Simply stating that it was worse before and using that to justify looking down on whiners now....meh.

Phones can always be better and will always continue to be better.

You could make the assumption that we should be grateful for what we have and not complain, but then where would that get us? We'd still be living in the dark ages following that path.

7. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I was just whining about whiners whining. I don't want phones to stop developing or to still be living as a peasant for some lord in a feudal society.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

rofl!

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I think the best phone is a regular flip phone.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do you two miscreants realize the time and effort that has gone into manipulating the young & the feckless into buying into this Ponzi scheme??

Have some sympathy, please.

How odd. A phone is a phone is a phone?? It will never work!!

11. PerplexShyt thread starter macrumors 6502

Who's saying be grateful and not complain? We can do that all we want. But to downplay the other phones as "pieces of crap" and whatnot is absurd. Phone companies will fiercely compete in regards to technology whether or not we are comparing our phones' penis sizes.

The basic message in my post is that iPhoners vs Droiders is immature etc, instead we should all be embracing this bountiful age of cell phones.

Unless you are stupid and really do believe our biases our fueling the smartphone feature spike

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

How is "iphoners vs droiders" immature? Challenging others and explaining why we think one platform is better than another is what we do over a plethora of topics in our daily lives.

You don't think it's important to talk about the pros cons of each? Really?

And you call me stupid...:rolleyes:

13. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Especially when you add in the fact that that iPhone makers look over the shoulder of Android makers and Android makers look over the shoulder of iPhone makers.

I don't like Android, but I know it's a highly advanced piece of technology.

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm still using my 5 year old Motorola Razr. I'm not one for texting. I like to hear human voices..

15. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I love watching shows from the 90's like the fresh prince of bel air and friends.
    These shows had loads of tech like phones, camcorders and laptops which were the pinnacle of tech at the time. Its amusing to see how outdated they look :)

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Considering that a hundred or so years ago, most people didn't have indoor plumbing or central heating - yes, we are "spoiled" having smartphones.

On the other hand, since a smartphone plan costs anywhere from $40 to $150 a month, money that most of us have to pay out of our own pockets, then we definitely aren't "spoiled." We pay hard-earned money for the dubious pleasure of being "on-call" 24/7 - and so I think we have a right to expect reliable service and decent call quality.

Are the fights between Android and iPhone people a little silly? Sure. But we humans are tribal folks, and nothing gets the juices flowing like a good fight. A smartphone OS flamewar isn't pretty - but it sure is preferable to a pogrom or a race riot.

I'm old enough to remember having to "book" international phone calls. I also think about the number of movies whose plots would be totally irrelevant if smartphones had existed. And where does a modern-day Superman/Clark Kent change clothes, since the chances of finding a phone booth offering pretty much anything in the way of privacy is pretty much zero.

18. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Well said... Its just a phone. Buy the one you like and get on with your life