Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xoxo2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
New Jersey
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,rebuking,
correcting and training in righteousness.
2 Timothy 3:16

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first"
Mark Twain

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Obviously, I don't have all of the details. But I'll offer some generalities.

It's very easy to think you're doing a good job when in fact, you're not. I've been on both sides of that before.

It's also very easy to interpret someone's actions as being very different than the motivations.

If you feel as though you're not being challenged, or if your boss is not giving you any constructive criticism, then you should leave.

Why do you think your boss is trying to get rid of you? What has he done to make you think that?

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Actitud? Really... Attitude maybe? There are bosses and managers for a reason. Unless they are doing something unethical or questionable along company policies you really have no leeway to question them. They are placed there to manage the employees and if they feel that a certain employee does not work well in the environment they have the power let you go. I say just go with the flow and just stick in there. Make yourself standout, let your work speak for yourself, not questionable work place actions like questioning your boss. Then again you might work in a casual work place where the boss invites you to talk to him/her then you might go in and calmly express how you feel.

xoxo2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
New Jersey
thank you for your replies. I have to say thank you more to dubels & SwiftLives. It seems like you both have giving me a Neutral answer. It is possible in wrong about his "attitude" my mistake, I miss explain myself.
Im not wasting time at work, but some guys do & do their freelancing projects at work, & sometimes the person in charge is not really who should be there. Not everything is black & white.

Thank you for your time and your constructive comments.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
No offence here but is English your first language as I'm struggling to understand some of what you are writing. If it is then this might be a reason that you are left to do just the 'grunt' work.

From my interpretation of what you have written - what is your job description, is it in your job description that you are to do more than the 'grunt' work.

If your job description says that you should be involved in the design process (and not everyone will be) then ask to be involved more. If that doesn't work then move on.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
The only way you will ever avoid being subject to authority and all the good and bad that goes along with it, is to work for yourself and experience all the good and bad that goes with that.

Greedo

Jul 26, 2009
The only way you will ever avoid being subject to authority and all the good and bad that goes along with it, is to work for yourself and experience all the good and bad that goes with that.

quoted for truth. this is what i do, and while my partner and i stress a lot and usually work 70+ hour weeks, all of the stress and all of the hours are for us, not someone else. very much worth it.

and to the OP, i agree - you have shown in the past you can write posts clearly, please try and do that again - its extremely difficult to follow you on this thread.

xoxo2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
New Jersey
Kool! robanga.

Language problem? Sorry but lucky you it is your native language and I know language limitation and consequences on the job, but frankly guys be more objective and professional if u really want to be a help in this forum.

For those, i would like to grade your French or your Spanish!! Im sure it sucks!! but you don't need it to make your money, At least for now!!

I don't think so Levig, my Flash work is not "grunt"

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
You have to understand that we need to be able to understand what you are trying to put across to give the best answers, imagine that we were writing in french or spanish and we're not fully fluent in it, can you honestly say that you would not have difficulties in understanding the message that is trying to be put across?

As you say its not 'grunt' work then why are you complaining? - Assuming you understand my meaning of grunt work (basic day in day out type tasks).

Now are you basing your reasoning that you should be involved in more of the meetings on the fact that you have a BA and some of those that enter meetings do not, if you are then this is not a valid reason, plenty of designers have worked their way up from the bottom (although I always say get some training too) and are just as skilled if not more so than some with the BA qualifications.

Also why should a flash developer enter meetings for print based design work, unless you are working on the job then there isn't really any need for your involvement.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Language problem? Sorry but lucky you it is your native language and I know language limitation and consequences on the job, but frankly guys be more objective and professional if u really want to be a help in this forum.

For those, i would like to grade your French or your Spanish!! Im sure it sucks!! but you don't need it to make your money, At least for now!!

You're doing fine with your English -- everyone here understands what you're asking.

Here are my thoughts:

Avoid initiating a conversation with your boss until you have defined what you want to accomplish -- and how you can approach him in such a way that the two of you feel safe having the conversation. Your boss needs to know you respect his authority; you need to know you're being heard. If you need advice on how to proceed, I recommend "Crucial Conversations." You can learn more about the book at this link.

You can find an overview here.

MKSinSA

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Alamo City, Lone Star State
Watching your responses

to the people in this thread gives me some insight into what might be your problem at work.

• First you need a tougher skin. Don't feel obliged to respond to everything with which you disagree. Keeping one's disagreements private is perhaps the wise course in many cases, particularly when dealing with co-workers.

• Second, you absolutely have the right to question your boss' attitude ... just keep it to yourself. You're not concerned about his attitude but about his actions. If his actions are somehow harmful to your career progression, address those with him.

• Third, if you're really interested in finding out what's gone wrong for you on the job, put together a list of things you want to discuss with the boss then make an appointment with him to talk about them. One of the critical things you should ask is: What do you think I can do to improve my job performance? This lets him know you are concerned about your own performance (not that of your co-workers) and gets you inside his head about any problems before they cost you your job/promotions.

Just some ideas that I hope help you out.

Cheers! :cool:

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Psychic

Orrrr... You could preface the question with "Excuse my grammar, English is not my 1st language", or anything like that. It changes everything. Grammar and spelling, EVEN on the internet, says A LOT about a persons drive, attention to detail, etc...

So understand, when we see something like that, especially on a Design/Graphics forum (A field where attention to detail is paramount), that we (or I) would have to believe you deserved to get fired!

Live and learn, I guess! No harm intended

Although I stand by my claim that you should not be "wasting less time than co-workers". You should be wasting no time.

Good luck with the boss

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
First rule of office politics - Look out never in

Second, I find there's a difference between voicing concerns/being the devil's advocate and just "sith-stirring"... It's hard for young designers to learn this.

Third, bosses generally have more responsibility, knowledge and stress than you they need support to command a situation/project. Ask questions but never question, it's not your position to do that.

Fourth, if you are concerned for your "welfare" in the organisation ask you boss about the direction of your future within the organisation. See where your position can lead to and career options, but don't criticise or question you wont make too many friends that way.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
[*]First you need a tougher skin. Don't feel obliged to respond to everything with which you disagree. Keeping one's disagreements private is perhaps the most wise course in most cases, particularly when dealing with co-workers.

To the OP (original poster): One thing you should consider: If English is not your first or second language, and you don't know the culture one hundred percent, it is very very easy to misunderstand what exactly people are saying, and what attitude is behind what they are saying. For example, when someone criticizes your work, it could be because you did a good job and they want you to improve even more and get even better than you already are, or it could be because they want you to feel bad about your work. Would you always know which one it is? If not, then try to expect always the best from people and take everything that is said in the best possible way.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
In my experience, if someone is having trouble with the boss, then it is almost always the bosses fault. ;)

Seriously though, I think what we have here is "a failure to communicate."

xoxo2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
New Jersey
we could go on and on and on.

I have to say it, the next time i look for an advise in this forum i'll make sure to take English courses before make a posting. Thank you to those who really helped me, and didn't go away from the subject. This is my first job and I wasn't sure how to handle a situation like this. That was it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH mac 2005 FOR YOUR SOURCES. IN CHINA, FRANCE OR ANY ^%$$$ IN THE WORLD THATS WHAT I CALLED HELP AND FIND A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM and MKSinSA, I APPRECIATE YOUR ADVISE, AND dubels YOU ARE RIGHT THIS IS A CASUAL ENVIRONMENT AND THE OPPORTUNITY WILL COME.

GOD BLESS ALL.
:p

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
In my experience, if someone is having trouble with the boss, then it is almost always the bosses fault. ;)

Seriously though, I think what we have here is "a failure to communicate."

And every "fresh out of uni" person hates their first boss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.