Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I have done a stainless steel Apple Watch upgrade every single year. I swore last year I wouldn't, but the "always-on" feature of the Series 5 really intrigued me.

And I instinctively pulled the trigger and bought the Series 6 this year and I am sitting here questioning myself....WHY?

The motivation is the $250 trade-in I get each year on the old stainless steel watch. I end up paying just under $550 for a new SS watch yearly.

But, should that $250 really be an incentive to spend the $550 for a watch with only a marginal improvement?

Apple didn't even talk about improved battery life, though the new chip inside the watch is supposed to make it more energy-efficient.

Just wondering if anyone else is as careless as I am this year going from a 5 to a 6 series.

I still have time to cancel my order.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have done a stainless steel Apple Watch upgrade every single year. I swore last year I wouldn't, but the "always-on" feature of the Series 5 really intrigued me.

And I instinctively pulled the trigger and bought the Series 6 this year and I am sitting here questioning myself....WHY?

The motivation is the $250 trade-in I get each year on the old stainless steel watch. I end up paying just under $550 for a new SS watch yearly.

But, should that $250 really be an incentive to spend the $550 for a watch with only a marginal improvement?

Apple didn't even talk about improved battery life, though the new chip inside the watch is supposed to make it more energy-efficient.

Just wondering if anyone else is as careless as I am this year going from a 5 to a 6 series.

Unless you want the oxygen sensor thing. In my opinion the stainless steel is a waste of money. It depends on your financial situation of course

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

I do exactly the same each year for myself and my wife and have done this year with S6 as well as a selection of new bands. I have ordered S6 Graphite SS to replace S5 SBSS and my wife a SS this year instead of the Aluminium. I wouldn't describe at careless :) .

I guess number 1 it comes down to affordability. We can afford to do it and there are many other things we don't spend on. The AW has become a big part of our life and health. We go to the gym daily, do other forms of exercise as well as all the other non health benefits that the AW gives us. Many of the benefits I could get from an older version but why should I :) ...... I enjoy tech and particularly my AW and iPhone and I'm happy to sink some cash into them.

Last edited:

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
Probably, but I’ll keep my Series 5 as my workout/sleeper/occasional wear out watch and give my 4 to a friend.

Tech is a splurge for me.

Reactions: NJRonbo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I do exactly the same each year for myself and my wife and have done this year with S6 as well as a selection of new bands. I have ordered S6 Graphite SS to replace S5 SBSS and my wife a SS this year instead of the Aluminium. I wouldn't describe at careless :) .

I guess number 1 it comes down to affordability. We can afford to do it and there are many other things we don't spend on. The AW has become a big part of our life and health. We go to the gym daily, do other forms of exercise as well as all the other non health benefits that the AW gives us. Many of the benefits I could get from an older version but why should I :) ...... I enjoy tech and particularly my AW and iPhone and I'm happy to sink some cash into them.

That's the kind of answer I was hoping to read to talk me off the ledge in canceling the order.

Buying an $800 SS watch every year, to most people, would seem insane. Standard watches are kept in the family for a lifetime.

I go with Stainless Steel because they are more durable. I really knock my watch around and I have never gotten nicks on the body or scratches on the glass.

The $250 trade-in is a big incentive because it brings the price of the watch down to just under $550.

Probably, but I’ll keep my Series 5 as my workout/sleeper/occasional wear out watch and give my 4 to a friend.

Tech is a splurge for me.

Same for me. Just harder this year as it doesn't even seem we are getting improved battery life with the Series 6 over 5.

Reactions: jbachandouris

jjm3

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm going from 5 to 6 too... Pulse Ox was what sealed the deal for me too, even in the rumor stage. Hearing it has the U1 wide band chip afterward makes me even happier. Getting some trade in for my 5 and trying out the Apple Card payments plan softened my guilt about the upgrade from 5 to 6 too.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I will not be upgrading in a hurry, but I am intrigued as to what can Apple do with the OX sensor and powerful AI.
I know other makes also have OX sensors. Indeed I have a stand-alone OX sensor that I use from time to time and this is good to tell me the OX concentration in my blood at one moment in time.
The difference here is the ability to look at OX levels automatically, at different times of the day and night, while also knowing your activity levels and HR before and after the measurement, and over time (days/months/years).
Can Apple implement clever AI algorithms to help detect trends and potentially alert the user of health concerns, beyond the obvious “your OX levels are too low”?
I don’t know the answer, but I am intrigued by the potential.

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
I will not be upgrading in a hurry, but I am intrigued as to what can Apple do with the OX sensor and powerful AI.
I know other makes also have OX sensors. Indeed I have a stand-alone OX sensor that I use from time to time and this is good to tell me the OX concentration in my blood at one moment in time.
The difference here is the ability to look at OX levels automatically, at different times of the day and night, while also knowing your activity levels and HR before and after the measurement, and over time (days/months/years).
Can Apple implement clever AI algorithms to help detect trends and potentially alert the user of health concerns, beyond the obvious “your OX levels are too low”?

Exactly why I’m upgrading. OX sensor is a big deal as it also allows developers to leverage the sensor for their apps. For example, the sleep apps will leverage the OX sensor so you can get a truer sense of your sleep and recovery. Lots of potential software additions to WatchOS with this hardware.

And as someone that enjoys AOD the increased brightness is a nice touch.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Just upgraded because i sell my S5 LTE cause i dont need LTE anymore and the new altimeter is perfect for my activities. Other than that im getring 380-400€ and paying 450€ for the new one without LTE.

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
May 23, 2010
It’s worth upgrading for the improved always on display alone, but I wouldn’t do a stainless steel / titanium upgrade every single year, that’s more of a long term investment in my opinion. I’d consider aluminium if you’re a yearly purchaser.

tednol

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008

Perhaps but I'd be surprised whether the 'smarts' necessary to power this will be out before the AW Series 7. It will require a lot of data collection and analysis.

I resisted the urge to upgrade my S4 when the S5 came out. Primary motivation for me this cycle is getting the always on display. I've also treated myself to a SS versus an aluminium version. I had to go a few days without my watch recently after leaving my charging cable in a hotel and enjoyed the heft of wearing an old stainless steel automatic Tag watch I own.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

Good question!

Definitely not for me.

Probably eaten up by the 2.5x brighter display. (If you use always-on.)

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Very similar boat, have upgraded from a space black stainless since series 3. To me the 5 was not really worth the upgrade but I couldn’t resist. This year I am honestly a little disappointed, but I had already sold my S5 on swappa for 450 the morning of the keynote. That was how I rationalized it. Made the total cost of the new one about 250 bucks. Not terrible. I think next year I will keep the S6 and get the S7. We will see.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
It’s all down to you.
some people spend more money on a night out.

I only buy new tech if there are featuresi Care about. That hasn’t been the case with the SS5. Was looking forward to the 6 but now I’m contemplating keeping the 4 another year.

I love the feeling when you have skipped some generations and finally get something that feels brand new.

I made the mistake of upgrading from the iPhone X to XS and that was a huge disappointment. Forgot I even upgraded after 3days.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Exactly why I’m upgrading. OX sensor is a big deal as it also allows developers to leverage the sensor for their apps. For example, the sleep apps will leverage the OX sensor so you can get a truer sense of your sleep and recovery. Lots of potential software additions to WatchOS with this hardware.

And as someone that enjoys AOD the increased brightness is a nice touch.
You should look up how OX levels work.
They are almost always the same and don’t really tell you anything interesting.
There is no way you will be able to judge sleep quality and recovery from blood oxygen levels.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
You're crazy if you're upgrading a ss apple watch every year period, but especially this year to answer your question.

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
You should look up how OX levels work.
They are almost always the same and don’t really tell you anything interesting.
There is no way you will be able to judge sleep quality and recovery from blood oxygen levels.

Are you sure about that? I’m pretty familiar with OX levels since the Garmin Fenix introduced it in their devices and working in the medical field. People with sleep apnea or other respiratory issues routinely have lower and/or sporadic OX levels, so that measurement could help many understand their lack of restorative sleep and/or indicate the need for a test to diagnose sleep apnea Or other potential health issues.

You’re correct, a healthy individual should not see much variance everyday, but seeing A variance would be something to monitor health wise as it can be an indication of another issue. This is just another tool in the tool belt that can be utilized.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m not upgrading. I just got the 5 a couple months ago, and the only reason I did was because Amazon had it for $100 off. I sold my cellular 4 for $20 less than I paid for the 5. At that point, I couldn’t NOT do it, and I really liked the always on feature.

I think the new colors are fun, but I’d likely never order anything other than silver anyway because it just goes with everything.

I DID splurge on a new braided band. I can’t wait to get it and see what it’s like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.