Are we ever getting background apps/notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tringo, Jan 17, 2009.

1. tringo macrumors regular

Didn't Steve say this was coming in October!

What do you guys think? Scrapped maybe...it would make such a difference if we have say NetNewsWire updating every 5 minutes and then notifying of new items.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Sooner... or later... or never...

My vote is for later. Apple will "reinvent" the way applications are open and closed.

3. TheMBC macrumors 6502

They better have a good excuse for this one, my guess is what nick said, Apple will announce that they found something even better blah, blah, blah and that's why it took so long :rolleyes:

4. applerocks macrumors regular

I just posted quite a bit about this on my blog the other day! Good timing! They probably will at some special event and hopefully before WWDC!
    http://www.knowthytech.com/2009/01/thoughts-on-iphone-notifications-and.html

I think it's related to the crazy notifications on the iPhone. Imagine if we had another 10 apps to check with notifications dinging all over the place. It would be a pain. I think a decent notifications service could help "multitask" even if Apple doesn't want to have multiple apps open at once. Then again, OS X has great multitasking features, so we'll see what they do.

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If they don't, what are you going to do?

6. Pared macrumors 65816

You can SORT OF do this now if you jailbreak your phone. However, Apple's way will most likely be much better on the battery of the iPhone since it will be handled off your phone and the applications won't need to run continuously.

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

With backgrounder? Yeah, that method works alright, but it makes the phone and mail apps act all funny, so I ended up deleting it.

8. Pared macrumors 65816

Really? I haven't noticed any drastic difference.

The ONLY thing I've really noticed is the iPod application transition when it launches isn't completely smooth. Actually some applications launch strange when you have one app enabled for background service. The bar at the top appears first, then the transition. But that's just very superficial IMO.

Intelliscreen seems to be part of the problem but when you enable compatibility you're fine.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Has anyone made the connection with the new processor and probably more ram, the iPhone will be able to handle backgrounding?

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Yeah that's what I mean. I don't have Intelliscreen installed, so I haven't enabled compatibility mode. The menu bar appearing bothers me because it causes a delay when opening the phone or mail applications.

11. Pared macrumors 65816

Yeah I can see how someone can be bothered by it... not that big a deal to me I guess. :eek:

12. smt1192 macrumors regular

I want Pandora to run in the background. Grr.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ummm Apple said September. What's everyone complaining about? They never said which September ;)

BTW, I'm hella disappointed. Obviously their stupid push thing didn't scale the way they thought it would (think twitter and the fail whale)

Since the push notifications framework hasn't even been sent to the devs then there is no way we're going to see it in the next two months!!!

Gah, this is so stupid... they should just redo some things and let us run multiple apps like on the pre (that would be great multitasking)

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You guys are too funny. You think Apple isn't providing push notification and no background apps just to piss you off. If they aren't providing push service for all apps and are not allowing background apps, there is a good technical reason for it.

S-

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I think they under estimated the price on there end.

Twitter has problems keeping the bandwidth load and did some search limitations on there site to help.

Now imagine every tweet notification being pushed to millions of phones along with IM's and thousands of other apps requesting push notifications.

I honestly don't even know how they are going to provide this service without losing crazy amount of cash in the process.

I also think from the end user stand point when testing it was probably annoying that your phone was buzzing with notifications everytime something pushed.. i dont really see how they can fix that without just silent notifications but then it kinda defeats the purpose.. It's just a big logistical nightmare from every angle.

I think the smart move is a new iphone with a better cpu and better battery life to just allow multiple apps to run in the background. Then the user has to deal with it not some central server from Apple.

16. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I'm gonna storm down (err up) to the Apple HQ and demand I speak to the head honcho and tell them that I plan to yell at him on behalf of all iPhone owners who want the PNS :p

Love how conforming that comment is though.

17. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Well since Setempter we are waiting for badges and sounds on notifications.

What if 10 apps are trying to show a notification?
    Android solved with a drawer.
    Pré got an unobstructive area that shows up while multitasking.

The Apple June 2008 method for push notifications, showed that a notification is done with a modal popup; so imagine 10 notifications on of these on a modal popups every minute from a IM app! Seems that push notifications got shot at birth.

18. Resist macrumors 68030

I just wish there was a way to delete some of the crappy wallpaper that came with the iPhone/Touch.

19. synagence macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling that the iPhone 3G is a done device .... i don't expect more firmware or any new features

I think Apple will be already focussed on iPhone 3.0 (hardware & software)

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Haha unlikely...

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I doubt Apple will get this feature out until the iPhone sales begin to fall in respect to Android and other competitors. They have no incintive to do it otherwise. It was bad that they promised it in September though and now are trying to make us forget it.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I kind of think he is right. In fact, we really haven't received any new functions/features during any of the 2.x updates, except for fluff like podcasts over 3G (who's actually benefiting here?) and Street View. I really hope I'm wrong, but do you have any reason to believe any significant feature may come out between now and June/July (when the next phone come out)?

The only bone I could see thrown to us would be from a 3rd party developer, via app letting a previously restricted feature/function squeeze its way through the approval process. Otherwise, I really have no expectation of a 2.3 either a) coming out or b) adding new features. There's really no precedent since 2.0 came out for real features to be added.

23. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

You don't want it unless you get a battery upgrade too. Trust it.

24. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Push notifications is not background apps, I'm sorry, but as of right now, Pandora will never run in the background even with push notifications.

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Correct. This is a common mix-up around here. Push =/= apps running in background (or badges appearing on your icons - unless data is being remotely sent from a server).