Are we "living" inside a computer simulation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by johnee, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Burberry, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

Burberry macrumors newbie

Burberry

[​IMG]

So I think we should start by finding the Code.
    And I think I have found it.

When you look out of your field of vision and
    stare at a blank white wall.
    What do you see in the picture from your eyes
    I see a blank white wall and I also see
    something else in my vision it looks like this.
    It has a Refresh rate. *( it's vibrating)*
    It switches between Gold and Black.
    It looks like Glitter of Gold and Black in the Air.

Another place you can see it from is
    When you close your eyes.
    What do you see.
    A black blank screen for your imagination
    and also a Gold color of vibrating glitter its looks like.
    [​IMG]

I think this is the code of the universe
    Because its everywhere.
    All around us.

So I think what needs to happen
    to see if this is actually the code
    Is we need to build a scanner of some type
    and actually scan that Gold and Black.
    There code be all kinds of code hiding in that place.

I know one thing about this Gold and Black Glitter
    that its signal strength is through the roof.
    And it Looks like packets of data or something.
    It needs to be checked.

After we found and decoded the Glitter
    the possibilities are endless to what could happen.

Freedom! For Everyone.

We could read and change our own code.
    Or we could put ourselves inside one of our own computers
    and make are own worlds, and basically be able
    to edit everything about ourselves.

That's why it needs to be checked just to make sure
    Someone has to build a scanner to scan that
    Black and Gold glitter to see what it is.

As For our simulation that were living in.
    I absolutely LOVE it!

Our creator is real!
    She has a real down to earth personality.

She gave us a place that's 100% beautiful.
    normal and safe!

We love our home creator! =)

Someone also said this....

Seeing as I don't believe in reality seeing as
    Belief requires 100% certainty and
    I'm unable to fool my own mind into
    thinking that reality or anything else
    For that matter is 100% certain.

I think...
    What we are seeing is coded and processed into a picture
    that we live in.
    That also means what I think CAN be real.
    its just not processed into a picture that im living in.
    It's just in my imagination but it can be just as real.

[​IMG]

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The late, great Douglas Adams answered this question long before The Matrix (or others) were a dream in a producer's eye.

3. AngerDanger, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Either they're the secret code to the entire universe… or they're phosphenes.

They're rings or spots of light experienced in the visual system, induced either by pressure or other stimuli, that don't actually correspond with external light. Your peripheral vision is lower-res than the center of your vision, and it's therefore more prone to seeing phosphenes.

The thing is, we most likely aren't living in one giant simulation indicative of a benevolent or malevolent creator. But each of us live inside of a mind magnitudes more complex than any computer existing today. These minds' hobbies include regulating heart rate, maintaining homeostasis, and trying to keep us from dying in general.

My ad-hoc theory is that our very distant ancestors' ability to sense movement was far more advantageous than not seeing it, especially if a predator were lurking in the dark, so like a phone's autocorrect desperately trying to predict your next most likely word, your visual system occasionally gives you false positives (shimmering where there is none) called phosphenes.

A young AngerDanger called them Obidoes.

4. Burberry macrumors newbie

Burberry

So I was thinking after taking a closer look at the Glittering Black and Gold
    that's in the air.
    I've also discovered there is a curvy line through it that looks like
    a current of some type.
    A type of wave.

This makes me think they could make a scanner and try to decode the
    Glitter just like they do with wifi.

They use radio waves like cellphones, televisions and radios do, and we
    build an adapter or scanner that receives the signal and decodes it.

But I was thinking we might have a hard time decoding it because
    it would be compiled code that looks like a bunch of gibberish.
    Then you would have to construct the actual language the creator used
    to make the universe with.
    It seems like a hard job even with the best of minds working on it.

5. Huntn, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

What you don’t know is if this simulation is solo with really good AI or if it is multiplayer. The worst would be when you discover you are an elaborately programmed AI in someone else’s, a real soul’s simulation. ;)

6. Burberry macrumors newbie

Burberry

Well, you know...
    I've sat and thought about this for some time and I came to the realization
    that the creator is here in the universe with us, Walking around as a person and I came to this conclusion like this.
    I realized the programming that went into the universe, its absolutely a work of art, also that they have a programming language they use while being in the universe itself.
    Otherwise how would they program things like feelings, and hot and cold, and all the other things that you can't be program by sitting in front of a screen.
    So I think the being that is our creator is a pretty advanced awesome being
    that can program some pretty cool things while being in the universe.
    Maybe someday we'll be able to meet this person if were lucky.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2018 ---
    I just had the thought....
    What if we could have the ability to actually have full control over our imagination and be able to be a person inside our imagination fully awake instead of just using it for dreams, and be able to program things like our own universe by being in our own imagination.

I'm still trying to figure out how to be fully awake inside of my imagination thought, Somehow I need to find a way to be pulled into my imagination. Like actually be pulled into that world.

It would be perfect to be able to have full control inside of that place.
    The closest I've come to it is being fully awake by dreaming but I still
    didn't come close to having full programming abilities, I could think of places to go and the place would just be there, like the place just comes
    to life as you think about it. Oh this makes me want more!
    I want to escape into that place all the time and make my own little world.
    I just don't know how yet.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Wall Street had it all figured out once. "Something" must happened....

rainbow over the gold- 20150415 New Yorker.jpg

(Cartoon from The New Yorker, April 15, 2015)

8. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

9. Burberry macrumors newbie

Burberry

So what kinda "Somthing" did you have in mind?

10. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

The only evidence we are living in a simulation is that there are a lot of humans who are like robots that are fed garbage in and then they speak garbage out. The GIGO problem in data science is real.

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Who knows. They took their eye off the gold for a minute and the rainbow disappeared? Probably they would have felt like I feel when I make all these calculations about supper posited on what I'm going to do with a little rotini or penne, some tofu steamed w/ some fresh greens, a splash of soy sauce, some sesame oil, a bit of rice vinegar and a healthy dash of red pepper flake,,,, and then look in the cupboard and there's no rotini and no penne.

"No foundation" = serious obstacle to solving a problem. Who put the idea in my head that there was any pasta in that cupboard?

In that cartoon I put up earlier, Wall Street figures to hold a rainbow over a pot of gold and as long as the rainbow shimmers before them and they can see one end of it, they're good to go. But, they've no clue who put it there or why or for how long it will persist. They're not sure how the pot got full of gold to begin with, nor whether they could replicate it if "something happened" and everything started to go south. They don't even know why they can see that rainbow. Yet they hope to control its future, and their own and that pot of gold.

We could be living in a pretty complex simulation, but are unlikely to have been given the means to comprehend much about its owner and creator.

Look at it this way: the last time I ever told some piece of code "Guess what, in another ten minutes, you're going to experience a fatal compilation error" was absolutely never.

Au contraire, the piece of code, if flawed, may have managed to tell me that's what had just happened to it, in a dying gasp. :D

Likewise never would I be telling a piece of code what my own credentials were for telling it anything at all to begin with. No way. I wrote it, it did what I allowed it to do, including make some guided choices, or --inadvertently-- even allow it to eat its own next instruction and so die in a blaze of error messages.

But I never said to that piece of code "oh and if you get bored, stop by for dinner and I'll explain where I came from and why I bothered to create you and what I intended as the meaning of your life and what's going to happen next."

In code we sometimes put that sort of stuff into a module as comments. Now if we are living in a simulated existence, I suppose the equivalent of those comments would be more or less like what some of us here on Earth have decided to define as saints or gods speaking to messenger angels who are sent to explain situations to humans. The messages are offered in a hopeful tone of voice.

cartoon - SteveHereToUpgradeYourTablet.jpg

12. user_xyz macrumors member

user_xyz

The Cake is a Lie!!

13. Burberry macrumors newbie

Burberry

Well, where do we start to find out about our creator...
    The only thing she gave was life.
    Not a small gift, so I must thank her for my life and a beautiful home.

She did leave clues laying around to rebuild who she is as a person.
    So I think our creator has aged quite a bit,
    I think she's beautiful, extremely smart, and I do think she's might
    be a woman, just because the way the universe is built,
    We have cute a cuddly animals, the women are normal and the men are
    normal too, not too overly overdone in any way.
    Not like if a man were too create, the woman might all look super hot,
    and the men be all with hulking muscles.
    So that leads me to believe that the creator just could be a woman.

I've thought about this for sometime, and thought the only way that
    you could really program things like a sense of touch or feelings and especially emotions, was to actually be in the simulation of life here with us actually programming from inside the simulation, which means she's actually walking around with us experiencing this life with us, which is pretty cool.

She might be kinda shy thought, I don't think anyone has met her yet and she probably prefers it that way for some reason.

She has a real taste for life and emotions and likes to get the most out of each experience, at least that's what I'm lead to believe from the way that I'm living, or the way I'm made to live.

The biggest feeling she gave me was, She kept me hungry.
    I am always hungry, for everything...
    Starving for stories and information,
    Starving for food, hungry for every thing.

She definitely likes to hunt after things.
    It's probably tradition to do that.

And now she's being hunted. =)

14. AngerDanger, Dec 11, 2018

AngerDanger

I always find it interesting when people mistake the fallibility of the human mind for indisputable evidence of a creator. A gut feeling of community and grandiosity is not evidence of a creator, people you don't like having bad things happen to them isn't evidence of a creator, and sparkly shimmering ephemera in your peripheral vision sure isn't evidence of a creator.

Couldn't you argue "she" created something masculine for every feminine thing? And even so, gender is a human attribute created in response to biological traits endowed by millennia of evolution. Why would a creator have a gender… and then create gender? That would be like wondering what kind of lightbulb Thomas Edison was.

What about its other inventions like cancer, AIDs, starvation, plagues, genocide, etc.? If there is an intelligence responsible for creating the entire universe, I doubt its morality aligns with our own.

We've managed to program video codecs without being inside the video. We've managed to synthesize sound (cochlear implants and instruments) and even taste all without being inside of our creations.

By somebody who thinks phosphenes are data packets floating around.

What seems more likely: your brain does a couple things that you don't yet understand or you're seeing shimmering data indicative of everything being a computer simulation created by a goddess?

15. Burberry macrumors newbie

Burberry

I really do think were in a simulation, and I think this by what i am shown through video games, they practically have the universe coded already, it's missing all the inner "guts", but it sure does have all the outside of everything coded, I believe it would only take a sum number of years to actually get everyone to figure out we were actually living inside a computer the whole time and that we have a creator that's been watching over us.

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Video games—specifically the nearly photorealistic ones—are programmed by teams that can have hundreds of members. Why do you only think there is only one creator? Our universe is vastly more complex, so why not believe there are hundreds of creators working on us? Also, are our creators also living inside of a computer simulation? Are their creators living inside a simulation as well? How many levels of nested computer simulations are there?

The possibility that reality could be a simulation isn't evidence that it actually is.

17. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Lioness~

Don’t be trapped of mind simulations ;)

FEFFDD49-69FE-4463-807B-19A29087765D.jpeg

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

How do you know if the creator set up the simulation and just let’s it run, checking back every million years?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2018 ---
    Just because it is surmised, the really powerful entity who set up the Universe, there is no guarantee that it programmed out genetic issues, pathogens, or bad things that could happen to anyone or anything.

19. AngerDanger, Dec 11, 2018

AngerDanger

There’s also no guarantee that it didn’t program all of the bad things, and life, love, happiness, etc. are all bugs. There’s no guarantee that it didn’t just program the fish, and everything else is just what evolved over millennia. None of this is based on any evidence whatsoever.

20. JullsJTRIRE macrumors member

JullsJTRIRE

Living inside a simulation is a popular theme nowadays but I myself like the version shown in the Cabin in the Woods, it's the funniest one))

21. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

funny how we went from being the subordinates of a god to being some aliens' puppets to being a computer simulation... wonder what we'll be the next century..

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Extinct?

23. Huntn, Dec 12, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Agreed.

Computer simulation vs reality? We exist in a system (our reality) that could the grandest simulation of all. Our ability to create computer based simulations is mimicking our existence on a very simplistic scale. We are making our best guesses. Because of observation, science, and the scientific method, we are gaining a much better understanding of the system we exist within, at least its rules which appear to be consistent.

Regarding evolution, We have evidence that it occurs. What we don’t know is if this evolution is guided, based on environmental pressure, or just how random it is. In a system, it appears multiple evolutionary outcomes are possible. For example whales evolved from land animals into sea mammals. But not all mammals did this.

7ECCE8AD-DC7E-428B-A38F-E844A0BFF4C8.jpeg

But despite what we know about our existence, there is a boundary, a gray screen, which beyond we are ignorant. This applies to mortality and the relatively simple, ashes to ashes concept of some flavors of atheism, versus the concept of a creator, spirituality, and a continued existence beyond our mortal framework.

Arguably, confusing our ability to discern, are our emotions and our desires for there to be something more than existence for a human lifespan. And as I said before, we don’t even know if this is a solo or multiplayer game. And with the lack of knowing, some of us make big assumptions, are gullible to tall tales, and go as far as ordering our lives around our assumptions, and the Master who will punish us, if we don’t follow our own made up rules.

For myself, call it self serving and comforting, but based on nothing that I can prove, I’ll place my bets on spirituality. And I hope that all of the people in my life are like me, all in the same boat, and not elaborate A.I. entities, created to keep me company though this experience. :)

24. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

If I’m living in a computer it’s obviously a Palm Pilot playing Pong.

Ps - I love alliterations.

*poof*

25. Huntn, Dec 12, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

One master creator keeps it simple, an advancement and easy sell, despite a time when multiple Gods flourished.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2018 ---
    I assume you watched The Thirteenth Floor (1999). :D If not, check it out.