Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is nothing like the first AW launch. That was a train wreck. Manufacturing was at fractional capacity, and Apple had very little stock for the pre-order deliveries. It took like two months just to fulfill the first day of pre-orders. Stores did not get inventory until like three or four months after launch. This time, stores had inventory on launch day, and stores continued to receive inventory regularly.

In some respects, your correct. I was fortunate enough where I and many others did receive their Gen 1 order on launch day, where as to others, it took weeks. I will say Apple did gain on inventory and many customers who were predicted a late ship date, did receive their order way ahead of schedule.

Apple did not plan well for the preorder launch for the Gen 1 launch, being the uncertainty of the popularity of the Watch and they were not allowing Store preorders, which was a trial and error chance, thanks to Angela Ahrendts.

The difference between the Gen 1 Launch and Gen 2 launch is not different in terms of inventory. Gen 2 has very limited stock in stores and third party vendors are completely strained. Gen 2 is still showing a mid November delivery date, and this is coming from someone who preorders on the minute. Apple constrains inventory on launches for thier own reasons, but they always seem to gain ahead and shipping earlier than the expected delivery date. It's this way with their whole product line.

The Gen 2 launch was better in terms as far as customers buying the Gen 2 in stores and receiving shipments, but still lacking in terms of fulfilling orders and third party big box stores.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Apple did not plan well for the preorder launch for the Gen 1 launch, being the uncertainty of the popularity of the Watch...
You are being kind. The prior watch launch was unique for Apple. And, I think it is putting words in Apple's PR mouth to say they did not plan well due to uncertainty. The factories were operating at a fraction of capacity until something like a month after the first delivery day. It made the news when the factories finally spun up to 100% capacity, and that is when Apple finally was able to fulfil orders made early AM on preorder day. Inventory was so scarce that it was diverted away from stores until July, IIRC.

The MR AW forum had multiple threads last year with people sharing their pre-order time down to the minute and when their watches shipped. Initially, it was taking weeks to fulfil just a few minutes of pre-orders.

For these two launches to be similar, no store in the world would have any walk-up inventory until December.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You are being kind. The prior watch launch was unique for Apple. And, I think it is putting words in Apple's PR mouth to say they did not plan well due to uncertainty. The factories were operating at a fraction of capacity until something like a month after the first delivery day. It made the news when the factories finally spun up to 100% capacity, and that is when Apple finally was able to fulfil orders made early AM on preorder day. Inventory was so scarce that it was diverted away from stores until July, IIRC.

The MR AW forum had multiple threads last year with people sharing their pre-order time down to the minute and when their watches shipped. Initially, it was taking weeks to fulfil just a few minutes of pre-orders.

For these two launches to be similar, no store in the world would have any walk-up inventory until December.

If I recall correctly too, the Stainless models were extremely limited, where the aluminum were Shipping at a much faster rate. But none the less, it was a poor launch. I think Apple purposely constrains launches as s marketing scheme to build hype. But that's just an opinion of mine without proof.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I ordered about 5 minutes after preorders started and got one launch day. I think it was due to me getting one of the most expensive combos that didn't change from last year, the black SS with link bracelet. I could be wrong though.

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
I ordered about 5 minutes after preorders started and got one launch day. I think it was due to me getting one of the most expensive combos that didn't change from last year, the black SS with link bracelet. I could be wrong though.

I got mine space grey 42mm on launch day, ordered a couple of minutes after preorders started. Wife took two days to decide what she wanted and just got hers today. I'm thinking about getting gold and cocoa band from bestbuy, would be here friday.

Thoughts on color I should do? Keep what I got or go gold? I had a 38mm space grey on gen 0. Would love stainless but not paying that much.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I got mine space grey 42mm on launch day, ordered a couple of minutes after preorders started. Wife took two days to decide what she wanted and just got hers today. I'm thinking about getting gold and cocoa band from bestbuy, would be here friday.

Thoughts on color I should do? Keep what I got or go gold? I had a 38mm space grey on gen 0. Would love stainless but not paying that much.

Not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking if what color you should get minus the SS options I would say the space grey but that is just my opinion, color choice is an opinion.

If you want to know my truthful opinion it is that the SS gives you so much more durability in the screen and casing that you should go with the black SS option and just get it with a cheaper band option until you can afford to get a link from apple or buy a knock off from amazon. I will say that from trolling the "best link knock off" threads and all the like, that I will give apple credit for getting it done right first. There are so many reviews/problems with all the knock off links that i would just save and splurge if i had to do it again with not enough cash on hand. I always see gap issues or silver bands behind the links.

Jordy145

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Sounds like we did get lucky, I drove 5 minutes down the road to look at them at the Apple Store and got lucky because they had the one I wanted in stock.

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
Not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking if what color you should get minus the SS options I would say the space grey but that is just my opinion, color choice is an opinion.

If you want to know my truthful opinion it is that the SS gives you so much more durability in the screen and casing that you should go with the black SS option and just get it with a cheaper band option until you can afford to get a link from apple or buy a knock off from amazon. I will say that from trolling the "best link knock off" threads and all the like, that I will give apple credit for getting it done right first. There are so many reviews/problems with all the knock off links that i would just save and splurge if i had to do it again with not enough cash on hand. I always see gap issues or silver bands behind the links.

I honestly see no need for the ss for screen durability for myself, I had my previous space grey sport for a year and didnt have a mark or scratch on it.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
AW2 38mm gold nylon & AW2 42mm white nylon ordered together a few hours after pre-sales started; the 38 mm arrived the following Wednesday (9/22) but the 42mm isn't scheduled to arrive until 10/11...

Hedberg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
Consider that a luxury - in Denmark it launched September 16th and not a single watch have hit the Danish stores yet - the stores say all of them have been pushed to late October / early November here. Wtf man?

A little tip :) If you live in Copenhagen and still have no luck getting the watch, I just went to the Apple Store in Malmø, Sweden - had the one I wanted, so cancelled my 30th October scheduled delivery order ;-) They seem to get plenty of stock, and I just checked on istocknow before going. Took 30 min from Copenhagen!

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Ordered mine online only after being sure I would get the phone I wanted after the IUP fiasco. Order September 16, and it came today, delayed a day by weather in China/Japan, from what I can tell from UPS tracking. ETA changed from October 23 to being billed last week, to shipping to here we are!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Here in Los Angeles I was just monitoring istocknow and was able to grab my wife one, got mine (black aluminum w/ black fabric strap) last Saturday and today my wife got her gold one with cocoa strap.

Reactions: matrix07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.