Are we still Macrumors?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by gamicoulas, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gamicoulas macrumors newbie

Cause lately the news are all about a phone!!! And just because it's running a version of the OS X kernel, does not make it a Mac (it would be called a MacPhone like the MacBooks :D)

The iPod was the beginning, but with the iPhone now the relevant Mac news are relegated into oblivion! Bring the Mac back as the centre of attention of this site, otherwise change the name to something more appropriate for the content :p (applerumors.com?)

PS: This is not a rant ;)

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I own http://www.applerumors.com, but the name won't change, since MacRumors is so well "branded".

For all intents and purposes, we are "AppleRumors"... and beyond that, we're Apple News and Rumors.

It's iPhone week, there will be a ton of iPhone content surrounding iPhone week. I don't actually think there was any big Mac news this week that you're missing out on.

arn

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to nitpick but what about renaming some of the forums apple. I would imagine both names can coexist. MacRumors rolls off better than AppleRumors. But for the most part the forums deal more with apple than mac. I guess if Apple is going to start to move away from the Mac maybe the site should too. /shrug.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This forum used to be called the Mac Forums (hence the name of the root of the forums - Mac Forums - and the title of the page). It was changed to MacRumors:Forums.

Just saying because it explains the Mac naming of the forums. But I have to say, I agree. It should be Apple Forums, and Apple Community, and so forth, instead of Mac Forums and Mac Community.

Just my two cents.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am also annoyed with the iPhone excess...but then again, a lot of new members joined (some of them not as well liked as say the others unfortunately)... But, I also bought an iPhone this week...

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I wonder if people ever complain " enough about OS X updates, When is the next iPhone coming out!" I have never seen it.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am not sure why so many are surprised or shock

The release was a big, BIG deal for Apple

It will sell millions of phones and thus deserves all the news stories/articles released here

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

People are complaining about Apple related news?

Would you rather have a small site just stuck on mac specific news, or a thriving site that is getting a lot of traffic thanks to the iPhone? Apple released probably it's best launch item in it's history, and it needs to be covered. And guess what? When the new macs are launched this site covers them good as well, with maybe about 1-3 iPhone stories the whole week.

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

nickspohn's avatar could be a sub-thread all on its own...

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

As far as I can remember (3 years a subscriber, 5 years a member, 7 years a reader) this has always been an "Apple" Rumours/News site. Never concentrating more on one than any other and often giving all rounded information which could be (and usually is) of interested to its readers. For example, the articles related to Intel developments outside of Apple.

I'm sure someone asked this same question when the iPod came out :p

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, but back then it felt like Apple was a lot more secretive, and rumors were really rumors. Now, we have .mac changing to mobile me announced eons before Apple rolls it out, the iPhone didn't have any good rumors this time around, and the mac update line is directly connected to Intel's roadmap, so there's nothing new to report that's actually exciting anymore.

Just my 2¢

12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

On the contrary. Apple's forthgivingness regarding iPhone features is drawing attention away from their Macs. Meanwhile, Intel's roadmap only counts for the CPU - Motorola and IBM did this too for their CPUs. What's exciting now is what has always been exciting - new Macs, new form factors, new technologies, new creativity and new completely unthoughtof products.

Bring them on I say :)