Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you believer of the Matrix?

• Yes

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 82.2%

• Total voters

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Of course I believe in the Matrix. I created it. For I am... The Architect. I've been waiting for you.

image.php

You have many questions and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human.

(Normally, when we're not in the middle of a "special event", my avatar is The Architect and my location is The Matrix.)

EMU1337

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
And you're telling me those things on Pam Anderson's chest aren't real either? Somebody has got some serious explaining to do.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I absolutely believe that the mere naturalistic perceptions of the world are false. There's more going on that we can't see and it's possible to be liberated of those mere naturalistic perceptions.

That's a far cry from believing in some Wachowski brothers concoction.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I slipped on ice in the parking lot a week or so ago and slid into the bumper of one. Damn straight I believe in it. Shin still hurts...

toyota_matrix.jpg

Bogie

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
That's a far cry from believing in some Wachowski brothers concoction.

Maybe. But as Winston Churchill once said:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.
:D

colercoaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
NH
Sure, I mean it surely is possible, right?

It's just as probable of being true as saying a Creator created the world in which we live. People have been looking into this for years, it's just a matter of where you draw the line on what you want to believe.

Honestly though, it's an interesting theory. Love the thread.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I believe there's no Ultimate creator and no starting point.
According to current science and mathematics there is most certainly a definitive starting point for the universe and it isn't a sphere (it truly is endless). Of course if you don't believe in perfect mathematics then you can believe whatever you like.

Oh, there's no question that I live in a fantasy world.
You must live in LA. :p

I can definitely say I don't believe in the "Matrix" simply because all the brothers did was take a lot of the religious beliefs of the world and put them together. That and the second and third movies were pure garbage. They should've left it at one (which was actually interesting).

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Maybe. But as Winston Churchill once said:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

And Winston Churchill also said, "It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious middle temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the east, striding half-naked up the steps of the viceregal palace, while he is still organizing and conducting a defiant campaign of civil disobedience, to parley on equal terms with the representative of the king-emperor."

So I take his statements with a grain of salt. :)

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
I suppose the OP can believe whatever he wants...there is a lot to "reality" that falls outside the conventionally knowable bounds of human perception.

However, trying to have this conversation on an internet forum is painting a target on you for ridicule. I majored in philosophy, we get tomatoes heaved at us a lot for these kind of conversations.

Look into the "brain in a vat" paradox sometime. Essentially, my own personal belief system is not far off from this scenario, namely that our brain does all the creation of reality for us by action of it being wired into all of these little sensory bundles we call arms, legs, eyes, ears, etc.

However, it sounds somewhat tacky to refer to one's own deep philosophical position with the same name of a popular science-fiction film. The film was deep, but it leaves much to be desired philosophically. Such advanced technology would have no need for a conscious human experience; this part of the brain burns a lot of excess fuel. We'd be better fuel sources if we remained more or less vegetables.

But, happy wondering! I think daydreaming needs to be brought back into the daily curriculum; I always felt more productive when I was off in my own little world anyway...

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
However, trying to have this conversation on an internet forum is painting a target on you for ridicule. I majored in philosophy, we get tomatoes heaved at us a lot for these kind of conversations.

I think the reason people are a bit incredulous has in part to do with the fact that the original post didn't have an assertion or a discussion so much as an attempt at profundity-through-clichéd-ambiguity followed by a long quote from the script of a Hollywood movie.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
First off: The Matrix is my all time favorite trilogy.:cool:

However, I don't really believe the whole parallel universe, "we're all a program" argument. I do believe that we may come to a point when machines may takeover, hopefully not in my life time.;)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I attended one of the philosophy lectures back when I was in college, I almost walked out.

But after spending sometime with it, I realize it's actually very interesting, although I have only merely skimmed through it.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
A kind of Matrix can just as easily be proved (or not) as the existence of a God of any kind, so unless someone can absolutely prove one of the many concepts that exist, they are not proven wrong. One should never believe that their own point of view is the ultimate truth, it's just that - a point of view, an opinion.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
What's the point of this thread. It's obvious The Matrix exists. I've seen the boxset in Januay sales.

Son of Matrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I think the reason people are a bit incredulous has in part to do with the fact that the original post didn't have an assertion or a discussion so much as an attempt at profundity-through-clichéd-ambiguity followed by a long quote from the script of a Hollywood movie.

I am just encouraging people to think for themselves and discuss freely and then believe what they believe to be true or want to believe. Absolutely nothing of forcing people to believe this view...Cheers...

Of course I believe in the Matrix. I created it. For I am... The Architect. I've been waiting for you.

image.php

You have many questions and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human.

(Normally, when we're not in the middle of a "special event", my avatar is The Architect and my location is The Matrix.)

Honestly, Matrix lost me at this Architect section. haha... I think I need to re-watch this...Thank you.

Dear Ops, I made a typo in that poll. It should be Are you a believer of the Matrix? Not 'Are you believeD'. Hope you can help correct it. Thanks!

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
http://upc.*************/uploads/catmacros/therapy-cat.jpg

are you having a laugh? (seriously?) Wait, don't answer that. It doesn't matter.
Do not try to spam for avatar; that's impossibly bad form. Instead only try to realize the truth: There is no avatar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.