Are you afraid to travel with your Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waloshin, Dec 2, 2008.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I was wondering where are some places that you wouldn't dare take your Macbook/Macbook Pro? Such as around your house , and or out side of your house, thanks. And why?

2. appledrone macrumors regular

ooh, never take you macbook down a dark alley - it will pull a gun on you for iphone:p

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I wouldn't take it in the pool.
    I wouldn't take it into school (my old school system is a frigtarded... never mind).
    I wouldn't take it over there.
    I wouldn't take it anywhere!

Keep it away from moisture and don't run HandBrake if you're in the Mojave. Other than that, I never use my computers if I am dirty in any way.

If you're talking travel travel, just buy UnderCover so that if it gets stolen, you'll get it back. Also, put a Open Firmware Password on it so that if it DOES get stolen (or the TSA wants to copy your HDD at the border), the data can't be wiped or transferred.

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Am I missing the point of the question, or are you asking wether some people might not actually use they're laptops... as laptops?

5. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I'd love to take my MBP to Vietnam with me next month. It's a 3 week trip and it would be great to have my own computer with me to blog about the adventures I'm on, since I'm told there's plenty of wi-fi around. Also to process the videos I'll be taking.

It's not worth the risk, though. I can just go to internet cafes or use the wi-fi on my iPhone.

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Exactly!

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No. The whole point of a notebook computer is so that it is portable. I do advise people not to carry it out in the rain without a case.

8. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

im a college student who uses his laptop for class and visiting home.

i use my laptop what its made for.
    i just make sure whenever im out in public, my laptop is always in my sight

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

The simple answer is no, that is what a desktop is used for. Why cripple your screen size and buy something that costs more if you aren't even going to move it?

You could have asked "where do you take your macbook pro" , although a thread probably already exists...

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

There are places where I don't want to broadcast a "steal-me". I really couldn't care about the actual hardware being stolen, but if I sit (or stand) somewhere other than at my workplace or at home, it usually means I have a deadline, and I don't want to miss that deadline, not to mention my audio (unlike writing, I can't really recreate stuff like that very often).
    I sometimes tape the logo off, so it won't be a beacon in the dark under those circumstances and if I really HAVE to sit somewhere were people can see me (or lift it up/halfway out the window at night to get a connection and that sort of thing).

But, anyway, this is one of the reasons I might be going for Nagra LB (it's a recorder) as it will make it possible most of the times to forego bringing the computer at all (it can do basic editing), and "merely" carry: A "normal" phone (old Nokia), a smartphone (i780), a PDA, BT keyboard, audio recorder, zeppeliner and microphones, headphones and all the rest of the crap one has to drag along to be set-up properly and nicely.

So, in short: I try to avoid bringing it as a whole, depending on circumstances, and certainly there are places I won't be using it, even though I brought it along. I'd rather be a little delayed than not being able to work at all.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My computer is still in the box sealed. I'm afraid if I take it out it will get dirty.

12. six.four macrumors 6502

agreed. I have two laptops. Sony TXN for everyday use, and MBP for when I need power on the go. I do most of my heavy lifting on my desktops. I bring my TXN everywhere - it's pretty beat up. My MBP - which costs more - I'm a bit more careful with it. I wouldn't take my MBP anywhere I couldn't keep my eyes on it all the time.

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

You better put your computer in a vacuum chamber , it'll be safer!

14. romo macrumors newbie

I'm not afraid to take it places, but I am sure to be careful with it when I do. Just yesterday I took it to my school library for the first time. I took it with me when I had a phone call and when the coffee had worked its way through my system I just decided it was time to pack up and leave :)

15. Alt10 macrumors newbie

Alt10

I lost my powerbook about 2 years ago at a festival in Czech. It got stolen out of the car. They took aswell 3 cellphones, but left the sim cards...
    I had it with me to DJ :S

So no more DJ'ing (with laptop) at party's in foreign country's :(

16. voltare macrumors member

I work as a marine observer (biologist) for the government in the Bering Sea, Alaska. I work on commercial fishing boats (just like on Deadliest Catch). I bring my MBP to watch movies and play games. I also use it for email when we come in to town to offload fish. I've seen other observers with MB's up there, but no other MBP's.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Take it and use it everywhere. My Powerbooks have bounced around in my motorcycle saddlebags for thousands of miles on all manner of trips. These are portable computers, use them accordingly.

18. wesrk macrumors 6502a

+1

19. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Reading over some of the posts the last few weeks, some places that are not good to take/place your MBP are in the trunk with a tree stump, on the passenger seat going through a carwash, and apparently some people don't even like to take their MBPs to the Genius Bar.

Back when I had my VAIOs or iBooks. They pretty much went anywhere my body could. After all that is what a "portable" laptop is for right? They did get their fair share of desk duty though, especially my VAIO since I had the PVR dock recording all my cable channels :D

20. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

this.

21. hitman45400 macrumors regular

Open Firmware?
    is it free? and how much is undercover?

and i take mine everywhere, i have a backpack case for mine, and take it everywhere, i already have a few dings on it and had it less then a month haha

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lets see.

Its out of my office (for once)

But since birth its had:
    Marware Protection Kit
    InCase Hardshell
    Iskin Keyboard Cover
    Iklear Apple Polish Treatments
    3M Privacy Filter

For what its worth, Five months later (and after rigorous use), the keyboard is pristine, the top and bottom Alm shell are perfect, the palm rest is flawless (as is the track pad) and none of that fugly looking wear-shine thats so common. Oh, the privacy filter helps protect the screen, too.

And its moved around in a form-fitted pelican case.

Resale Value FTMFW

Attached Files:

23. Nate025 macrumors regular

It's about $50 or $60, can't remember. Had it installed the week after I received my laptop.

Regarding the topic, I work as a musician on cruise ships and took this computer on my last contract. No problems through the airport or on the ship, in ports down in Mexico, or on the (long) trip home. It's a great piece of hardware and I love it!

I keep mine covered in Bodyguardz protection with an iskin keyboard cover.

24. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

I used to take my macbook pro with me whereever i might be working. then i got mugged by four guys with meat cleavers. now i don't take it anywhere, because they have it. :(