Are you Buying More from itunes after DRM free?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jinsou, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

have you upgraded your library?
    how does 256kbps AAC compares to 192kbps MP3??
    Would you buy the 256 for higher quality?

Jin

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I jumped over to Amazon about 5 months ago. I haven't looked back at iTunes save for a movie or tv show here or there. The prices are astoundingly better at Amazon and I've caught a few new release CD's (the same Tuesday they are released) for 1.99/2.99. I'll probably stick with Amazon, just so much easier and I already do a lot of my shopping there.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't get much music these days but I still use the iTunes Store as much as before. Now the DRM-free is just icing on the cake.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My library is pretty much full, ill buy a new song every once in a while.

5. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I noticed that i do buy more songs now that they are DRM-free. Only becuz i can now put them on my mobile phone and PlayStation 3.:cool:

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I haven't upgraded a single song yet. My total so far is $87. Most of my music isn't available yet. I am still waiting to upgrade:

The Complete U2. They probably won;t ever allow me to upgrade my U2 since the Complete U2 is no longer offered which sucks.

Complete Led Zeppelin. Why can't I upgrade this yet? It's available in iTunes + now.

Complete Bob Dylan

Complete Depeche Mode

7. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

I got a couple albums off of iTunes now that they are mostly plus. I really like the change.

8. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Got a gift card for Christmas; saved it until Macworld on rumours of DRM-free, and just started spending it :)

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I've upgraded anything that's been available. So far it's pretty short

10. mithrilfox2 macrumors newbie

I will consider future music purchases from iTunes now that DRM is gone. Before, it wasn't even an option.

The intense need of the RIAA to horde it's music in its grubby little hands is killing the industry. I think things like DRM will help see a quicker end to the music industry as we know it, and indie bands and small-time artists will enjoy more local followings as the music "gods" of the past fall flat on their faces.

I hope so. I hate the idolization of celebrities, especially when many of the singers do nothing better than the next singer than shake their booty in a more sexual manner.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I stopped using iTunes awhile back except for the occasional movie rental. Amazon is the better option. It was during DRM, and it still is after the fact.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I upgraded my library, which was something like $7. Including videos.

I wouldn't buy any more from iTunes - it'll still be the extremely occasional impulse purchase of a song or two. I prefer buying CD's and ripping them as I see fit.

13. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I upgraded 2 albums that I really like and about 3 singles. The rest I either ended up getting the actual CD or don't care to update. Spent under $5.

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think the biggest reason why Apple went DRM-free was because of the fear of Amazon taking away a LOT of the business from the iTunes Music Store, especially since Amazon has a downloader program that automatically copies the music to the iTunes playlist.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It has nothing to do with Amazon, it has to do with the music labels. Apple never wanted DRM in the first place, that was just a condition imposed by the music labels.

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

And believe me, they lost a lot of business from me over that. The whole only able to burn a song to a CD 9 times was bad for me, considering I like to make new CD's about every week. I'm really mad about having to "unlock" the DRM, which would cost me no less than 90.00 on iTunes, and not even unlock all of my songs.

17. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Nope, I use bit-torrents, then use Utorrent to dl them. Paying for songs sucks big time.

18. gibbz macrumors 68030

Yeah! Darn the silly legalities ... :rolleyes:

I would imagine that musicians would say that pirating sucks big time.

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I hope you realize that the RIAA is now targeting people who download music and other things using torrents. Remember, nothing is ever anonymous. Everything you do on the internet can be traced right back to you.

20. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Cool, I really don't care what iTunes paying nutswingers think. I have over 2700 songs in my iTunes, you think I am going to pay $2700+ for that much music? And to the people that say, "don't you think musicians need to be rewarded for their hard work?" Yes I do think they should be rewarded, and they are, by having loyal fans listen to their music and go to their concerts and buy souvenirs from the band. You think they are really suffering because I am not paying for their music? Think again, they are still filthy rich. Yes, because others and I didn't pay for their music now they have to suffer by traveling in a 20 million dollar private jet, instead of having a 30 million dollar private jet.
    Get over it already.

21. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Wow.

22. calculus Guest

calculus

I think you have a strange understanding of the life of an average musician.

Do you get paid for your work?

23. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

This is an argument I can't win obviously. This like trying to go to communist Cuba and and convince them democracy is better.

24. gibbz macrumors 68030

Stealing is not akin to democracy. I'd say that is a pretty weak argument.

I think I might go and steal a LeBlanc Mirabeau because I am sure not going to pay $645,000 for a car. :rolleyes:

Do you even listen to your rationalization? You don't like the price of something, so you are going to steal it based on the premise that you think people are rich enough. That is pretty lame. Maybe I am missing the logic. Perhaps you can provide a logical argument.

25. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

My increased iTunes spending is more related to the upcoming price increases as most of the music I like will be more expensive in April.