Are you Buying the New Final Cut Pro X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by I AM THE MAN, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Im a video editor and I've been occasionally using Final Cut, however, reading the reviews on the Mac App Store, many say that its just an upgrade from iMovie, and it needs some major upgrades (i.e. Multi-Cam, etc). Are you going to be purchasing the New Final Cut Pro X? Do you think Apple will lower down the pricing? What are your opinions?

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

3. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

What don't you like about it?

4. Black Diesel macrumors member

What is the multi-cam function that is missing? Does it mean that if I go shoot with a 5DII, 7D, and rebel T2i I can't use the footage from each body in the same project??

I can't imagine they would leave this out....please explain.

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Multicam: [​IMG]

Used when editing from multiple feeds/cameras. Very helpful if you do anything like tv shows, sports, etc... Not helpful, necessary.

6. Black Diesel macrumors member

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I would not need this option.

In a nutshell, does everyone agree that FCPX will be a great program for newbies who are playing around with DSLR footage to make short films? Is there anything really important missing that even a non-pro might lust for?

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Everything.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't understand this. Somebody enlighten me. This software has been available for how long, and you're all already jumping on the poo-poo bandwagon?

9. Big Bad D macrumors regular

Yes, I plan to buy. But I clarify that I'm not a video professional and have never used previous versions of Final Cut, so the concerns being discussed don't really impact me (yet). I won't miss what I have never had.

I can now buy and start to use a modern rewritten software, that is a step up from iMovie, at a much more affordable price. I cannot see any of the identified problems stopping me from constructively starting to use and learn Final Cut Pro X.

I do agree and expect that there should be lots of improvement upgrades to this version 1.0 software to make this again become a professional standard software. But that should hopefully fit in with my learning curve.

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

This software is perfect for you, but for the rest of us, not so much.

11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Wow, you don't read the reviews? Just look around and you'll see what's missing in this new software. Of course, if you are an amateur, there is little reason to be upset and hard for you to understand why professional don't like it.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

No reason to be rude. I read a review. A very thorough, detailed review on MacWorld.

It's different, that's for certain. However, being "uncomfortable" doesn't equate to being bad. I'm sorry that you can't adapt to change.

13. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

FCP7 users have been expecting a major update for years now. They were kind of expecting a product perfect on day one, with a totally seamless and painless transition.

Judging from what I have seen, FCPx was designed to bridge the gap between products like iMovie, FCP express, and FCP7 and create a simpler product line. iMovie for amateurs and FCPx made into a prosumer/pro product. With the amount of amateur content on the web, they needed something much easier to use that FCP7.. so basically Apple pissed off about 5000 video editors to make 5 million amateurs happy (twitter).

That said, I believe FCPx is a product in transition. This is a complete rewrite and interface change to everything. You honestly cannot expect your average editing operation to switch over on day one?? All of these features that these pro-users want will be added over the next year or so as people switch over. All of the backlash is exacerbated by the fact that Apple really didn't exactly come out and say this.

What apple really released is currently FCP express, with features to make it final cut "pro" added over the next year as editors play around and learn to the next system.

Or its entirely possible that apple has designed to forsake 5000 pros and therefore the pro-market for 5 million amateurs and non of these features will be added.

FCPx is a pretty revolutionary product that is not currently and may never be a "pro" product.

That said if I get a new pentax k-5, and start making dSLR video shots, i might just get FCPx. iMovie interface with more powerful features. Sounds perfect for me.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised if apple is moving out of the pro app arena. Evidently FCPX has a lot of pros upset but based on this thread its not a bad fit for pro-sumers.

Apple's Aperture is another product that seems to be drifting away from the pro crowd. In that specific case, apple seems content to let adobe get the pros and apple will go after the consumer/pro-sumer.

Given the negative press, they can't be happy with the results

15. TheFridge macrumors newbie

I found an interesting article on the web about this,

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/professional-video-editors-weigh-in-on-final-cut-pro-x/

The author goes through some of the bigger complaints and covers them, even the multicamera editing one :)

"Apple intends to restore this feature in an update, calling it “a top priority.” Until it does, here’s a stopgap facsimile of multicam editing..."

My suggestion, if multicamera editing is critical for you stick with what you currently know until Apple restores the feature. Then give it a shot.

16. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Tell that to all the editors and post houses that have tens of thousands of dollars invested in the Final Cut Pro pipeline and workflow. The Final Cut Pro we know has essentially been discontinued without any notice. We have more than the right to be pissed off.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's not as if your current software stopped working – or as though Apple will not bring out updates to FCPX, as they've already noted they will.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's funny, but Final Cut Pro X actually lost me as an Apple customer. I knew from the start that I wasn't going to buy Final Cut Studio, since it was about to be replaced.. but I needed a laptop, and decided that Apple's lack of communication with Final Cut Pro X was just obnoxious. I priced a Dell laptop with the same specs as a 15" MBP (more or less) and got it for under a grand (the only reason I had gone with an Apple laptop to begind with was for FCP).

Adobe will serve my needs. Had Apple offered a little bit of guidance, I'd probably have stuck within the iEcosystem. But they didn't. I just got fed up with waiting, and my new laptop came about a week ago.

My MBP sits unused... It can't even run FCPX, so no, I will definitely not be buying it.

19. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'm going to buy it.

It is pointing towards the future of an all-digital filmmaking process.

I know about the missing features. As for now, I don't miss them as I'm just starting out with editing. Until I have reached a more accomplished level, FCP X will have caught up.

Generally, it sounds like Apple is applying its principle to make things as simple as possible to focus on the main task.

I don't need multi-cam, and I can live without the complex audio track features of FCP 7. The color grading should be OK with me for now, and I'm sure this will improve.

For all who are truly interested, here are some articles about FCP X by people who know their editing stuff:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1505

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2011/...e-unanswered-questions-about-final-cut-pro-x/

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_first_look_martin.html

20. bxben macrumors newbie

bxben

I bought it...

I bought it and love it so far... I just posted a video of a basic overview of how to navigate it. Feel free to check it out!
    http://bit.ly/iLAyZI

21. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

Video post production saw a 25% decline in revenue over the past decade and is forecasted to continue so. The development house, which programs like fcp7 were designed for is dead.. 37 precent of them are projected to go out of business in the next decade..

Anyone else wondering why apple went to a more pro/sumer application?

22. singlestick macrumors regular

I am still curious. I don't see that Apple needed to abandon or alienate the high end professional in order to go to a more pro/sumer product.

I am also curious as to why video post production is seeing a decline in revenues? Is the amount of work to be done declining because of the bad economy or because of changes within the industry itself?

23. DaFrick macrumors newbie

let me put it this way if you like the old fpc you will probably hate this one if u like iMovie 09 you'll probably love the new iMovie pro.

This program is really hard to use and its more then just muticam thats missing. It tries to make everything simple but in the end is just limiting. If you have any ambition to get a job editing DONT get this program its incompatible with everything that everyone else uses.

i really think this is the vista of software editing and apple should do what windows did to vista, scrap it and start over

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

I don't do any vid editing but what exactly are your uses? Do you work in the media industry or are you just editing your home made vids for future reference?