Are you currently OFF contract or eligible to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lekun, Jun 9, 2007.


Can you get an iPhone if $499/$599 requires a new 2 year contract?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2007.
  1. I'm off contract and will sign (or resign) with AT&T for two years to get an iPhone

    60 vote(s)
  2. I'm with AT&T but eligible for hardware upgrade

    28 vote(s)
  3. I'll pay my early termination fee to get on board with AT&T and iPhone

    19 vote(s)
  4. On contract so I'll pay for the iPhone outright, even if it is $999

    13 vote(s)
  5. I want one, but can't / won't get off my current contract

    24 vote(s)
  6. What?!! No 3G, count me out! Where's my Treo?

    2 vote(s)
  1. lekun macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2006
    If the iPhone requires a 2 year contract, will you be able to get one?
  2. mcarnes macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Sure will. My contract with T-Mob ended years ago.
  3. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 8, 2005
    Yes, we have a family plan (parents and I). While, our contract is not over for a while, both of my parents have been eligible for upgraded phones since 1/1/2007. My mom and I both are getting one. We will get the phones from our 2 eligible upgrades, then my dad and I are gonna swap phones but keep our sim cards, so that way we can keep our number :D
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think I'm on contract for a few more months, or perhaps I just came off contract. I'd have to look back in my records to see when I got my RAZR. However, my plan isn't to change phones till next year, and I'm not sure exactly what I'll want next.
  5. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

    Mar 26, 2007
    north carolina
    with another carrier right now, contracts up, planning on switching over :)

    quick planning on switching my number over, how will that go? do i need to cancel my number with my current carrier now, or will i be able to just go to at&t on launch day and switch my number over?
  6. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816


    Aug 30, 2006
    Why is there no option for "I live outside the US and we have no idea about what or when we will get it?"
  7. fairnymph macrumors 6502


    Mar 12, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'm off contract, and specifically went with a non contract phone (VM) when my Sprint contract ended in March, in case I want an iphone. However, I will wait a bit and see how people like the iphone before I commit.
  8. nickspohn macrumors 68040


    Jun 9, 2007
    Just got off contract in April. Planning on buying 2 iphones on the 29th.
  9. jialuolu macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2005
    Yeah, waiting on the Canadian release.. Sucks because my current contract ends on the 28th!
  10. MBHockey macrumors 68040


    Oct 4, 2003
    New York
    Got out of my Verizon Wireless contract 7 months early -- with no termination fee :cool:

    Eagerly awaiting the 29th!
  11. theLimit macrumors 6502a


    Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    I'm off contract, but I have a feeling that AT&T won't give me one since my previous Cingular bill is in collection...:rolleyes:
  12. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020


    Feb 23, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    My contract ended on June 2nd with Verizon. Even if I wasn't out of my contract, I would be switching because I really want the iPhone. (Yes, I would have paid the cancelation fee)
  13. scmacdaddy macrumors regular

    Dec 4, 2002
    how bout off contract but would ave to take out a mortgage on my powerbook to buy one :(
  14. iMichael72 macrumors regular

    May 19, 2007
    Maryland, U.S.A
    I've been with Cingular/AT&T for about 6 months. I'll re-up for another two years. However it works, I'll get one!
  15. Aniej macrumors 68000


    Oct 17, 2006
    I have been with t-mobile for 4 years an am off contract, all i have to say is have a nice day t-mobile, hello iPhone and AT&T.

    Is it just me or have you see a lot of articles written where they type the iPhone as IPhone when starting a new sentence b/c of spellcheck. I just think it is funny that tech columnists do that.
  16. lekun thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2006
    I don't think you can do this

    This is my situation. I called Cingular, and granted they don't know anything at this point, but they stated that unless you are off contract, or available for hardware upgrade (roughly 18 months into your 24 months) then you have to buy the iPhone at full retail.

    Which they may not even offer to begin with and also Scott Bourne is reporting that full retail is $999.

    If that is true early termination fee would be cheaper, but who wants to pay AT&T $175 just to turnaround and sign back up with them – probably with a more expensive plan.

    I want their to be an option to just extend your contract, but I don't think it is going to be there, unfortunately. Now I am researching all the ways to get out of a contract, but still retain your number. It doesn't look good.
  17. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    UK man here and yeah im off contract BUT still don't see myself getting an iPhone. No 3G, camera flash and Office editing suite support. Heck no MMS support...will wait for next gen.
  18. iSaint macrumors 603


    May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I'm eligible for an upgrade, so it will be interesting to see what offers might be available.
  19. rdowns macrumors Penryn


    Jul 11, 2003
    My contract with Cingular ended about 2 months ago. I'm kind of married to my phone since it is one of the few that pairs with the BT in my car. Then again, I seem to be wanting an iPhone more each day. Let's see what ATT has to offer.
  20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030


    Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I'm off contract and with T-Mobile. I'm taking a wait and see approach with the iPhone. Coverage in my area with both carriers is the same, but I've got a pretty sweet deal with T-Mo. That said, my current phone is falling apart. So, if the initial iPhone feedback is excellent and something tragic happens to my phone, it'll probably be my first choice.
  21. mac000 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 6, 2005
    to tell you the truth i just cannot see myself buying a $500 phone,

    i just got a blackberry curve for about $200 and i could not be more pleased.

    I really wanted the iphone for push email/larger screen/maps/internet/1button to letter/ and i did get all that w/ the blackberry.

    i did want to get teh iphone. but i just dont have that much disposable income, wish i did though!
  22. JNB macrumors 604


    Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    You don't have to swap SIMs to keep the number, though that does make everything a whole lot simpler!
  23. MattyMac macrumors 68000


    Oct 6, 2005
    Believe it or not, my contract with Cingular has been up for 2 years...just waiting for apple to come out with a phone...the day has finally come!!
  24. paulyras macrumors 6502

    Dec 3, 2006
    This is a big issue for me too, especially since my number is from an out of town area code. I'm worried that they'll make me get a local number, even though I've had the same number for almost 10 years.

    The whole issue of breaking contracts, number transportability, general carrier switching etc... really needs it's own topic. Me thinks I'll start it as I have a whole host of questions, and would love others experiences.
  25. MBHockey macrumors 68040


    Oct 4, 2003
    New York
    By federal law, carriers are required to let you port your number over to a new carrier. They usually give you a period of 15-30 days or so to do this. Note that once you port your number to a new carrier, it effectively terminates your old contract, and you will automatically get charged the early termination fee -- unless you have other arrangements.

    However, if you move out of your area code, things get hairy. You'll have to do some schmoozing to keep your old number.

Share This Page