Are you double pre-ordering? Plans for pre-order

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by melman101, Mar 30, 2015.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey everyone, I'm nervous about stock issues. I have to get two watches, but thats not what this is about.

Is anyone going to pre-order for home delivery, then go to the store friday afternoon in hopes for in-store order? I am planning on this, then once confirmed, canceling the home delivery order.

What are you planning to do?

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Why not just keep the online order?

3. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

I have a feeling I'm going to be picking the wrong sizes.

I'm going 42mm Milanese but might switch to 38mm. Wife getting 38mm Modern Buckle Small, but she may need medium.

Edit: Also, I want it as soon as possible. What if FedEx doesn't deliver till 8pm?

But what if they sell out by the time I get to the store. See the dilemma.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I most likely will order both a 38 and 42, then try them on in-store, and cancel the one I do not want.

I still want home delivery though.

5. Glene macrumors 6502

I'll do my own" try on" program by ordering a SS rubber band watch and then a few bands.....then return the stuff I don't like...

6. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Be patient, it should be delivered "by 8PM" on the same day.

Online preorder has the best gaurantee that you will get the item you're ordering. Your first world problem is denying another person's first world problem, which is the availability of the item. :rolleyes:

7. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

My plan is to order two watches, 38mm stainless steel link and 38mm stainless steel sport band in black. as soon as pre orders launch, then later in the day i will stop by the apple store for the try-on appointment and see which one i like more, might even try the 42mm, then i will cancel what i dont want.

8. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

No it's not. I'll be canceling and letting it go back into the stock pool. Not my fault if the software doesn't take into account this. Also, not my fault that Apple did it so bass ackwards this time. They should have let try-on's before pre-orders.

8pm is approximately 10 hours later than when I could pick it up. No thanks.

Also, to be honest, I want the "Apple" experience of them clapping for me when I buy it. Hahaha :).

9. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

You could have Fedex hold it, so you could just pick it up at your local Fedex. Problem solved.

Measure your wrist so that you know what sizes to get. Another problem solved.

Wow.

10. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

I'm just doing one order and having it sent to my office so I can charge it up and get it all set up right away.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

most delivery companies will not hold it until after 1 delivery attempt.

12. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow what?

Negative and negative. Not sure if you live where I live, but I'd rather not drive to the South Bronx to pick up two expensive watches. Plus, I have a family member who works for one of those companies. You should hear the stories of what his co-workers do to the packages.

Lastly, I have measured my wrist. I have printed out the watches to size. I still need to see how both of them actually fit on me.

Edit:

Also this :). Thank you mattopotamus.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I don't remember, but will apple only ship to the billing address for preorders?

14. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Ha! Yes!

I am surprised that people are doing this (though I shouldn't be). I've used both the Apple watch app and cut out paper to look at sizing, and I am positive I want 42mm (longer battery life is just a plus). I've also measured my wrist and my wife's to be sure what size bands we need. I'm just going to order what I need. I don't want to deny someone else inventory by ordering and then canceling something I don't want.

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

The problem that you could possibly get into with a double pre order is if Apple has already manufactured a few million watches you could get quickly moved into a 'preparing to ship' status which would make it impossible to cancel before it arrives. Of course you can return one of them but who needs the hassle. If you are truly unsure it is safer to wait until you can try it on.

16. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Again, first world problem. It's like if you can't get the right size, or at least even a copy of the watch on launch day, you're going to die. You have to have it now.

You lived for years without it, and you surely could live a few more without it.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I can just imagine Tim Cook proudly claiming two million pre-orders on the first day then the next day having to announce that half of them were mysteriously cancelled overnight. :D

18. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Well if that's the case I can always take a vacation day. ;)

19. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yep. I am lucky that I want to get SS with SS Link AND a Black Sports band. I get to preorder the one that is listed for delivery fastest.

20. refslady macrumors regular

I remember a lot of people saying they had iPhones delivered to their offices, and I can't believe all of those people use the office address on personal credit cards -- so based on that, I would think you can indicate a shipping address.

21. Wallabe, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I have ordered from the online Apple store and have it shipped to my business address, while my credit card is my home address. It is possible, and important, since I am working and won't be at home for delivery signature.

22. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Would you engage is this activity, Olly? It just wouldn't occur to me to order multiple things on spec in the knowledge that I'll be returned all but one of them.

I remember my old ma ordering two sizes of clothing from Grattan and Littlewoods catalogues, but that was part of the mail order business model.

Have us Britons not got the hang of this whole 'the customer is king' malarky?

23. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Mine's for different reasons. Since the in store trials and the preorders are on the same day I'm ordering the 42SS with loop and the space gray aluminum , because I can't decide between the two. Seems silly not to have the in store demos a few days before preordering. I have a feeling that many are going to return or order two different models just like me. Apple probably knows this and will tout the inflated orders.

24. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Consumers complain about company wasteful packaging and should reduce environmental impact, but double ordering when you intent to only keep one, or if a recycled product is a bit more expensive than a new product, and decides to buy the new one instead, then who's the one that's responsible for the waste?

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, I've never done it before but I can also remember my Mom doing the same thing with her catalogue orders. Don't forget you didn't pay for those clothes up front, it was a couple of quid a week for the next six months.

It's not quite the same when you've got to splash out around £700 weeks before you get the goods. :)