Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you Downgrading?

• Yes, I am going with a cheaper model

Votes: 38 26.6%
  • no, I'm sticking with my original choice

Votes: 93 65.0%
  • no, I'm upgrading to an more expensive model

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • I'm not into Apple Watch (or waiting for Gen 2)

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Did the review/price announce/new information make you get a different Apple watch model than you originally planned a few months ago?

I personally was dead set on getting Space Black with black link, but after realizing its going to cost me 3x the price of sports base model, I am not going with space grey model.

what about you?

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
Yep, I'm downgrading.

ORIGINAL WANT: 42mm Watch Stainless Steel with Black Leather Loop
CURRENT WANT/PRE-ORDER: 42mm Watch Sport in Space Grey with Black Sport Band

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
The reviews don't concern me. I already knew this was a first gen product that was going to have first gen issues.

leeingham

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Yup. I said from the start I wanted the middle spec one (whatever that might of been at the time) with the metal link strap and a sport band as I coach football. When I saw the price of the metal link at £879 I jumped STRAIGHT for the Sport model as its just too much money for a first gen and Apple DONT even offer you finance!!!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The reviews don't concern me. I already knew this was a first gen product that was going to have first gen issues.

I think I was expecting that it would lack features a second gen watch would surely have. And I was okay with that because what it's supposed to do is exactly what I wanted it to do and anything else would be icing on the cake.

If I am content with something I stick with it even when newer and shinier come along. I'm still driving exclusively the same second generation economy sedan I bought 23 years ago. It's so good that I've never been tempted to even look at another car. It's got no fancy perks but what little it has and does is exemplary. I'm similarly very happy with my 2 year old MacBook Pro and my IPad Mini Retina. As long as a product meets my always reasonable expectations well, I'm good. I don't ask for much, just that it is done well.

Hubby and I both grew up with modest means and surrounded by family who survived things like the Great Depression and life as war refugees. Our ship didn't come in until we were at the end of our 30's. So our extravagance these days is always a calculated one.

So, if that lag proves to be a hardware issue, oh boy. Because it means the watch will do what I want it to do but not very well. It's harder for me to be content with that and invest in that possibility. I DO have the affluence to be able to upgrade either way. But with my background I would rather shelf a $350 item than a $550-750 one. Because I won't resell it. I'll be keeping it as a first gen memento.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I'm getting my original one, 42mm Sports with White Band...

This thing really should've been waterproof, I just started swimming training :(

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm buying Sport of gen 1, if it ends up working its way into my daily routine then I will probably go SS for second gen if there are decent hardware improvements as well.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yes, I was buying 4 Editions (Rose 38&42 and Yellow 38&42) but have now decided on the Sport.:eek:

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I think I was expecting that it would lack features a second gen watch would surely have. And I was okay with that because what it's supposed to do is exactly what I wanted it to do and anything else would be icing on the cake.

If I am content with something I stick with it even when newer and shinier come along. I'm still driving exclusively the same second generation economy sedan I bought 23 years ago. It's so good that I've never been tempted to even look at another car. It's got no fancy perks but what little it has and does is exemplary. I'm similarly very happy with my 2 year old MacBook Pro and my IPad Mini Retina. As long as a product meets my always reasonable expectations well, I'm good. I don't ask for much, just that it is done well.

Hubby and I both grew up with modest means and surrounded by family who survived things like the Great Depression and life as war refugees. Our ship didn't come in until we were at the end of our 30's. So our extravagance these days is always a calculated one.

So, if that lag proves to be a hardware issue, oh boy. Because it means the watch will do what I want it to do but not very well. It's harder for me to be content with that and invest in that possibility. I DO have the affluence to be able to upgrade either way. But with my background I would rather shelf a $350 item than a $550-750 one. Because I won't resell it. I'll be keeping it as a first gen memento.

I'm hoping the slowness is a software issue. The first iPhone had similar quirks that software updates smoothed out a bit. I'm sticking to my original plan because I'll either shelve it or hand it down to one of my teenagers before it has outlived its usefulness and become a collectible.

Unless the resale market is just crazy good. Then I'll have to consider selling. But, probably not.

bobTX10

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Still sticking with the Space Black. Cant wait to have that beauty on my wrist.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm hoping it's just a software issue, too. If I find I really regret not getting SS I can exchange it. But I think once I get over the fact it's going to be my first piece of "aloominium" jewlery ever I'll quite like it. If the next gen is slimmer I will possibly go for SS then. Maybe. It's so hard to predict. I usually have a firm idea of my upgrade path. I usually own my computers until they can't run anymore. I kept IPhone 4 for about 3 years and then upgrade annually since then. I'm not content with 6Plus and will upgrade for a better camera.

But I've no idea how it will go with the Apple Watch.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
My guess is that there were a lot of people looking to be talked out of spending big on the SS, and the reviews gave it to them.

There were also likely people that were looking to be talked into going for the SS over the Sport. They may not have gotten that.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
My guess is that there were a lot of people looking to be talked out of spending big on the SS, and the reviews gave it to them.

There were also likely people that were looking to be talked into going for the SS over the Sport. They may not have gotten that.

I'm the latter. Wanted to get the SS, but will just get the Sport because I think there is still a lot of room for growth, so best to spend as little as possible.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
I was originally going to get the 42mm Apple Watch (Stainless Steel) with Milanese Loop. Then, I decided I was going to get the Space Gray Sport model.

Now, I think I'm going to get one of the silver aluminum Sport models with a green Sport Band. I will also likely purchase a Milanese Loop separately at some point (maybe not for a while) and take my chances with galvanic corrosion and it looking funny.

I'll put the money I save by downgrading towards the next model. And if I end up buying the Milanese Loop separately anyway, then at least I'll have it ready to go when I do decide to get a stainless steel watch.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA

If more people would apply your level of common sense, intelligence and reasonable outlook, it would facilitate a lot more discussions as opposed to conflicts on this forum. :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I was originally going to get the 42mm Stainless Steel with sport band and I'm still getting that one. That said if it's not available but either the same model with the classic buckle or leather loop is I will get one of those.

Applelover65

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2015
I set my wallpaper to my anticipated watch - stainless steel blue leather loop and now I feel like realistically I should wait and upgrade at 2nd gen. So, I'm going to go with the Sport. Really don't like the band colors - hoping for 3rd party band to come to rescue.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
If more people would apply your level of common sense, intelligence and reasonable outlook, it would facilitate a lot more discussions as opposed to conflicts on this forum. :)

Thank you, technosix.

I am going to buy the watch I wanted originally. If I purchase it and find that it's abysmally poor (for even a first gen product), I'll return it and wait until the next time around.

I doubt this will happen. I figure I paid 600 bucks for the first gen iPhone and that was in 2007. It had a good many quirks, including a tendency to charge and get so hot that I thought it might burst into flames (I'm kidding, but it was really hot), but I still enjoyed experimenting with it as a new product and I never felt like I should have waited for the 2nd generation. I just bought it when it came out, too. :)

Same thing happened with the iPad. Granted, we don't upgrade iPads yearly like we do iPhones (iPhone just has such a great resale market, and it's fun to have the newest model), but the bottom line for me is that I enjoy the item I'm purchasing. If I have reasonable expectations, I should enjoy it unless it's really horrible. And, even with the few reviews I've skimmed, I don't see anyone saying it's horrible, and there are people on here going on about how the watch is getting universally panned in these reviews.

I don't see it that way. I see the reviewers saying it's a great product, but it doesn't have all they want in a smart watch... and neither does any other company, so this watch seems like it'll pretty much be exactly what I expected.

----------

I set my wallpaper to my anticipated watch - stainless steel blue leather loop and now I feel like realistically I should wait and upgrade at 2nd gen. So, I'm going to go with the Sport. Really don't like the band colors - hoping for 3rd party band to come to rescue.

If you like that SS with the leather loop, why not buy it and make up your own mind about the watch? There's a return period if you find you don't like it. That's what I'd do.

No sense in buying a watch with band colors you don't like, in a material you didn't think you'd want in the first place, then hoping for good 3rd party band options that nobody knows will or will not even exist.

If you buy the SS with leather loop, hate it, and return it... you can just buy a sport or wait for the next version entirely, no?

I'd rather have the style I want while I'm deciding if the Apple Watch is for me.

If I bought it in the Sport model when I know I didn't really want the Sport model, it will be disappointing either way. I intend to give it a serious review of my own before dismissing the product.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Thank you, technosix.

I am going to buy the watch I wanted originally. If I purchase it and find that it's abysmally poor (for even a first gen product), I'll return it and wait until the next time around.

I doubt this will happen. I figure I paid 600 bucks for the first gen iPhone and that was in 2007. It had a good many quirks, including a tendency to charge and get so hot that I thought it might burst into flames (I'm kidding, but it was really hot), but I still enjoyed experimenting with it as a new product and I never felt like I should have waited for the 2nd generation. I just bought it when it came out, too. :)

Same thing happened with the iPad. Granted, we don't upgrade iPads yearly like we do iPhones (iPhone just has such a great resale market, and it's fun to have the newest model), but the bottom line for me is that I enjoy the item I'm purchasing. If I have reasonable expectations, I should enjoy it unless it's really horrible. And, even with the few reviews I've skimmed, I don't see anyone saying it's horrible, and there are people on here going on about how the watch is getting universally panned in these reviews.

I don't see it that way. I see the reviewers saying it's a great product, but it doesn't have all they want in a smart watch... and neither does any other company, so this watch seems like it'll pretty much be exactly what I expected.

----------

If you like that SS with the leather loop, why not buy it and make up your own mind about the watch? There's a return period if you find you don't like it. That's what I'd do.

No sense in buying a watch with band colors you don't like, in a material you didn't think you'd want in the first place, then hoping for good 3rd party band options that nobody knows will or will not even exist.

If you buy the SS with leather loop, hate it, and return it... you can just buy a sport or wait for the next version entirely, no?

I'd rather have the style I want while I'm deciding if the Apple Watch is for me.

If I bought it in the Sport model when I know I didn't really want the Sport model, it will be disappointing either way. I intend to give it a serious review of my own before dismissing the product.

bunnicula

Kudos for an exemplary post.

In retrospect after reading your viewpoint I could not agree more, and I thank you for influencing me to change my mind. I will now move forward, buy a watch and enjoy it for exactly what it is.

You've reminded me of the many years of very happy Apple experiences with all that I have in my Apple Ecosystem.

Enjoy your new watch and know that your contribution here is appreciated.

Cheers :)

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I wouldn't say I've changed my mind but if the SS models I want are sold out there are a couple of the Sport models I will consider.

The reviews weren't great but honestly they weren't as bad as everyone seems to be saying they are. I have been very happy with Apple products throughout the years. The original iPhone was probably the most exciting tech purchase I've ever made. I don't expect the watch to match that level but I'm also comfortable in purchasing first gen apple products for what they are.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
bunnicula

Kudos for an exemplary post.

In retrospect after reading your viewpoint I could not agree more, and I thank you for influencing me to change my mind. I will now move forward, buy a watch and enjoy it for exactly what it is.

You've reminded me of the many years of very happy Apple experiences with all that I have in my Apple Ecosystem.

Enjoy your new watch and know that your contribution here is appreciated.

Cheers :)

Enjoy your new watch! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.