Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Spore -- Whos gonna buy it?

based on the review from the front page of yahoo..this game looks very promising..anyone going to buy it? I'd be willing to pay 10-15 bucks for it

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yes, probably. I won't buy the desktop version because of the ridiculous DRM, but I'll probably buy the iphone version.

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
I really havent bought many apps, Dizzy Bee, Ambiance, Koi Pond, MobileChat. I do want a good game, so Ill probably buy it, I think I can justify spending the money since I really havent been spending anything.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Though I have track record of buying games and then playing them only for a few days then never touching them again, I guess I will likely do the same with Spore. It may or may not be the one that changes it. Besides, $10 isn't bad at all.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'll wait for some reviews to come in first.

It looks like it's an accelerometer-based game, like Monkey Ball, and I wouldn't want to spend $10 (or however much it will cost) on it if there were problems with that.

Also, I'm wondering how far up the levels go. I think I read that it will have 35 levels which is probably enough for the Spores to go from water to land but not enough for them to go from land to space. I wonder if at the top levels you'll be able to control groups of spores.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
i was hoping it'd have a multiplayer feature so i can battle people..i think that would definitely make me buy it

anyone know how different the iphone version and the desktop version will be?

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

Isn't the iPhone version basically the 1st stage of the desktop version .... just swimming around the pond eating stuff ... has a basic creature creator .... i think its gonna play a lot like Flow (PS3).... if thats all it is then its gonna get boring quick cos the desktop version is a pretty shallow portion of the game and isn't exactly challenging.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

hexonxonx said:
Though I have track record of buying games and then playing them only for a few days then never touching them again, I guess I will likely do the same with Spore. It may or may not be the one that changes it. Besides, $10 isn't bad at all.

Same here. 80+ apps, but the only ones I ever play are Galcon and Enigmo. And I'll buy Spore, if it's $10 or less.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I've not bought any iPt apps yet, but Spore is pretty likely. I'll wait for the reviews, but as long as they're decent I'll check it out. I need to get Enimgo, too. I think I actually have a license for the Mac version from a MacHeist bundle, but I (almost) never have time to play games anymore (at my computer or a console) so the iPod version would be nice - can play it when I'm "stuck" somewhere (airports, at the inlaws, lunchtime at work, etc).

I've heard so many good things about Galcon, as well. I suppose that's like $27 worth of games... I should probably bargain hunt for a $25+ iTunes gift card on eBay or something. :p

Amt

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
For some reason, it came out for the Mac/PC yesterday, so I bought it then. In my opinion, it's a very promising game and I can't wait until tomorrow for the iPhone release.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
i was hoping it'd have a multiplayer feature so i can battle people..i think that would definitely make me buy it

Isn't the iPhone version basically the 1st stage of the desktop version .... just swimming around the pond eating stuff ... has a basic creature creator .... i think its gonna play a lot like Flow (PS3).... if thats all it is then its gonna get boring quick cos the desktop version is a pretty shallow portion of the game and isn't exactly challenging.

Yes, in case people starting getting confused or disappointed, the iPhone version is NOT the full Spore game, it is Spore Origins which is the mobile phone version consisting of just the primordial pool levels.

Also, just because the developers said it's going to be released on the 7th, doesn't mean we are going to actually see it in the App store (it still has to go through that same waiting period as all apps do.) The same thing happened with Asphalt; a date was announced but it wasn't actually in the app store for another week or two...

Still, that being all said, I'm definitely going to buy it!

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Also, just because the developers said it's going to be released on the 7th, doesn't mean we are going to actually see it in the App store (it still has to go through that same waiting period as all apps do.) The same thing happened with Asphalt; a date was announced but it wasn't actually in the app store for another week or two...
I wonder if EA has more privileges than normal developers when it comes to setting the date that apps appear in the app store.

xpolicy

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
EA had the working game on ipod touches at Quakecon 2008 in Aug. I played for a good 10 mins, its not too bad. I think it would get boring after a while but the graphics are nice. Not sure if it would be worth $10.00 unless they are to add more to it.

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Can anybody confirm that this is going to be released as a hybrid CD?

(that can install on both pc and mac)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Can anybody confirm that this is going to be released as a hybrid CD?

(that can install on both pc and mac)

It is a hybrid DVD yes.

I'd just like to chip in and say, it's awesome :D

Anyone finding the tribe stage a bit difficult though? Could just be the arrangement of the controls for laptops, but it's damn difficult to get my guys to do something/go somewhere/attack etc

EDIT: Runs like a dream on my MBP 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 512MB 8600M

Also, it's been ported using Cider, which I thought was a bit cheap, no wonder the system requirements are so high for mac...

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
*sigh* I'll probably get it for my birthday... which is at the end of the month.
Is anyone else kind of disappointed the creature creator is the demo? I want to play the actual game!

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
If the iphone version came with the full version, or the pc version came with the iphone version for free I would likely get it. Don't think I've ever spent $40 on a pc game...probably wait until it's on sale.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Picked up the full version today morning and will see if the 1st stage is addictive enough to get Origins :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.