Are you going to feel embarrassed using your Apple Watch in public?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Apr 23, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

I was looking at some Watch apps earlier on and I started thinking I would feel embarrassed using the watch in public, i.e. interacting with it: touching the screen, talking into it, and so on.

I'm reminded of the Sinclair C5 electric car. It was going to change the world. Nobody bought them because people felt ridiculous in them.

We're all buying Apple Watches of course but I wonder how we'll use them in practice.

[​IMG]

2. johnkim macrumors member

haha.. I don't think I'll ever talk to it in public.. I'll use all the other features though

3. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

im gonna start wearing it tomorrow once it comes in the mail and i know for a fact its gonna turn heads and people will be asking questions and all that.

4. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

Will I be embarrassed being mistaken for a celebrity?

No, not really.

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

There are other more embarrassing things I do in public, but only the Apple Watch will give me updates on the Yankees game.

6. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Living in a society where it's ok to take mirror pics with an iPad, no I won't be embarrassed:D

7. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

maybe for the first week or so when people are staring at me while I'm checking my watch because it's so new, but only because they're staring at me.

That said, I will try hard to ensure it will not take my attention away from normal interactions with other real people in the real world. So it will be second fiddle when I'm not by myself. I would feel more embarrassed if I let that happen.

8. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

9. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I won't be any more embarrassed using the watch than when I use a selfie stick in public!

10. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

I've already had multiple smart watches and never felt odd using any of them in public. Now, using the voice functions are a different story.

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Of course I will be as embarrassed to use my iPhone, iPad and rMB in public as I will be the AppleWatch.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I would be a little more embarrassed by this.

[​IMG]

13. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

Hey I'd want that and really OP if you're embarrassed by this, grow up. Who cares what others think :rolleyes:

14. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

I will be a little bit at first; I'd rather not draw unnecessary attention to myself or feel like I'm flashing my new gadget in people's faces. It was the same with the iPad when it first came out. After a few weeks (1+ year) it will feel normal.

15. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

A little self-conscious maybe, not exactly embarrassed. I might ease into it by only wearing it during sports and at home for a while. ;)

16. MyPad macrumors member

If I ever get mine I plan on walking around talking to it and pretending it can shoot lasers. I'm going to point my wrist at things and shout "Pew! Pew! Pew!" as I press the crown.

17. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Where do you guys live? No one is gonna care if you start poking at your watch while in line for a movie. Just don't start talking on it.

18. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Here's a very important tip to keep from being embarrassed by your new device:

Try very hard NOT to use your selfie stick to take a photo of yourself from your iPhone, every time you check why your new smartwatch buzzed you.

Trust me. It makes people stare.

19. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

20. iluvgadgets macrumors regular

Nope , I've had the Samsung gear for a while and use it regularly!! But, oddly enough people are just starting to notice it and keep asking if it's the apple watch!! Crazy how these watches have been out for a while and no one seemed to notice til apple watch!!

21. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Seriously, this is the truth. I've been all over the place with a glowing smartwatch for years now, and people just pretty much didn't pay attention until they started hearing about them on the news.

22. WilliamG macrumors G3

Given what makes a celebrity these days, I probably would be embarrassed.

23. dandrewk macrumors 6502

One of the first times with the watch will be at my health club. I can hear the murmurs: "Oh look, show off geek just HAS to get the latest toy before everyone else".

Read: Jealousy, hah!

Ok, I'm evil. But I will be a tad bit self conscious. At first.

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11