Are you going to spend more for new apple products?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Appl3FTW, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Ok let's see. Now that new products are coming, are you guys planning on spending more? I think I'll be adding the apple watch next year... Along with my annual iphone and iPad purchases.

Will there be a time to change spending habits? Maybe I'll stop buying iPads and get the watch to replace it.

2. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I'm not planning on buying the watch. I'm a watch collector so I'm usually wearing an Omega, Elgin, Hamilton or similar mechanical on my wrist. The last thing I want to do is abandon my Planet Ocean for a cheap Apple gadget.

As far as other upcoming Apple products go, I'm looking forward to a revamped AppleTV which I hope to see released on Thursday. The current one is long in the tooth and ripe for a comprehensive re-imagination. I'm also budgeting for a new MacPro sometime in the next year (my current MacPro is just about 5 years old now) and I'm going to upgrade to either an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Pro depending on how the specs look.

3. 617aircav Suspended

The watch is too expensive for my taste and smart watches in general dont add anything to my phone experience. I am set with my 2012 macbook air for the next two years, and the 6 plus will tide me till the 7.

4. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I've learned that it's very risky buying any version 1.0 product from Apple, so I'll pass this year, spend my tech money on well sorted out Android smartphones and continue to enjoy the break from the frustrations of buggy Apple first gen products.

Next year I'll enjoy buying an improved, stable and properly sorted iPhone. I'll let others be Apple's beta field testers this year.

5. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm leaning towards getting the Apple Watch when it is released early next year.

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I think it's interesting that people think the watch is too expensive. Have you priced out watches lately? A decent mid-range mechanical or quartz watch will set you back at least $500. If you want a truly nice watch like an Omega you're into the thousands. The only watches in the Apple Watch price range are lame Cassios and Seikos that don't have anywhere near the functionality. If the MSRP stays where Apple claims the Apple Watch will be a fantastic deal price wise. Seriously. Go look at how much good watches cost. They're NOT cheap.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't have any desire for the watch. As far as the new iPads go... I don't really have much use for one. Can't use them for any real productivity

8. phixionalninja macrumors regular

Nah, not anytime soon. I've been toying with the idea of finally getting an iPad for a couple of years, but the iP6+ has quelled that desire down to easily resisted levels. I don't feel any particular need for a device that sits between the iP6+ and my laptop. The Apple Watch is something to keep an eye on, but certainly not something I'll jump on for the first generation.

9. cornerexit macrumors regular

Ipad Pro if it comes, 12.9" screen or something.

Macmini also if it comes out, don't want the old one.

10. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I'm excited for the watch since its a new product category. Im definitely buying the first one if anything.

Yes watches I can't live without. Seikos aren't as cheap as casios... Such an insult haha. I love Seiko automatic watches

11. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Me too. I've owned 2 Rolexes, 14 Omegas, Breitling and so on and there is no way I would replace one of those fine timepieces with an Apple watch. I could wear it on the other wrist but I would look like an official douche bag. Also the fact that I need my phone to operate the watch to the fullest kills it for me. Can't wait for the sm300 reissue to come out so I can wear it. Here's my po.

[​IMG]

12. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Nice, I'll play

Attached Files:

13. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

No. No more $$ on :apple: products. My eyes have finally opened. I opt out of the continuing dumbification of users.

14. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Nice :). I've had at least 3 Seikos. Very dependable watches.

15. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Yea not the most expensive and grand but I'm a fan.

----------

LOLOL says the guy who's located in :apple::apple::apple::apple:

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Seiko makes some cool watches. I have a limited edition Cocktail Time that I love. Looks like a gin and tonic.

See, this is one of the main areas of resistance that Apple is facing with the watch and why they're holding that price point WAY down. Watches are one of the few kinds of jewelry that men wear. They're a unique and subtle way to show personal style. People who wear them tend to be very particular about what they like. Getting them to abandon a fine watch for an Apple toy will be practically impossible in the majority of cases. That's why we see Apple hammering HARD on the fashion angle of the watch rather than the functionality. Breaking into the "wrist space" is a bigger gamble than other plays they've made before.

17. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

In the grand scheme of things Apple watch will not compete directly with old-fashioned watches. but when you think about it, it's actually a better device because it offers more functionality than the old fashioned watches

18. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep. Gonna buy the watch. When my MBP needs replacing, I'll get a new one. Not sure I'll replace the iPad yet - we'll see.

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Yes, it will most certainly compete directly with traditional watches. Why? Because you only have one wrist to wear a watch on (two if you don't mind looking like a total geek.) And no, the Apple watch does not offer more functionality than a traditional watch because the CENTRAL function of a traditional watch is as an object of personal style. Additionally, most mid to high end watches are water resistant to fairly deep depths and that isn't the case with the Apple watch.

So, again, it's going to be a VERY hard sell for Apple in many important market segments. Imagine, for example, if Apple were trying to replace women's shoes with the Apple Shoe. That's kind of what they're trying to do here. Take a central fashion object for men (and to a lesser degree women) and replace it with an Apple gadget. That is not a trivial notion.

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Yep I am gonna buy the watch. I love watches and used to have about a dozen but not the only watch i have is an antique Rolex Submariner that belonged to my dad. He was given it as a present from Winston Churchill. I get nervous about wearing it all the time so I need to get a new watch for every day use and so I will get the Apple watch when it is released

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The only Apple product I can foresee buying is the iPad Pro. However, if it is priced too high I won't be buying it.

22. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I disagree... The Apple watch will offer more functionality than traditional watches. Traditional watches only show time better water resistance. However, it does offer better mechanism, ie. Jewel movement, solar etc. The apple watch will be a fashion accessory plus functionality of apps in additional to your typical timepiece. I do like your analogy that watch is for men as shoes are for girls. I would say bags for girls instead of shoes myself.

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'll be getting the Watch next year to compliment my 6 Plus. I'm not getting the new iPad, though.

24. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Looking forward to the watch. Certainly plan on getting one.

I suspect, unless there's a real killer new feature in the new iPads, that I won't upgrade. My iPad Air is still running beautifully and for anything requiring more heavy lifting I use a Surface Pro 3.

25. dopeman macrumors regular

probably won't....mainly because they can't mass produce the products...it's always "out of stock." I'm calling all product "out of stock."