Are You Going to Upgrade to iOS 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stark4, Sep 1, 2010.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

So we know how iOS 4.2 is going be so the real question is...

Are you gonna upgrade to iOS 4.2 ?

or

Are you gonna stick with 3.2.1 Jailbreak?

Why or Why Not ... :D

For me i'll definitely gonna upgrade to iOS 4.2 with no jailbreak. I don't think i'll need to jailbreak my ipad anymore because the only reason i jailbroke my iPad was to use backgrounder for multitasking...

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

I will update for sure.

I jailbroke once but the iPad was unstable and a little bit slower. For what I have to do, iOS multitasking is just fine, and Folders are graphically awesome.

3. ajax43 macrumors regular

I will update just to get the folders function because I'm sick of all the different app screens lol. The app icons are piling up on the ol' pad. I had mine jailbroken, but had to do a full restore when I got hung up on the apple logo screen for a few hours. I don't really miss the jailbreak as the ipad runs better without it (at least to me... ymmv). Still have my jailbroken ip4 and 1st gen touch as well as my 3g.;)

4. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

I might stick with the jailbreak because I prefer Categories over Folders, but if iOS 4.2 is compelling enough come November, I might switch. I really can't be bothered with respringing and rebooting every so often if I go into Cydia - I just don't care enough as I'm content with Categories and Proswitcher (lol).

5. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Since my iPad is not jail broken, I will update.

6. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I seriously expected more from Apple regarding iOS 4.0, more than 4 months to come out with the same software as the iPhone only a bit bigger, ridiculous.
    I expected for instance enhanced apps, a multitasking more user friendly due to the iPad's big screen.

Nevertheless I don't really like jailbreaking my iDevices because it slows them down more than it should and sucks all of it's resources even faster, i'll wait for another month and stick with 4.2

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Really the only thing I will miss on jailbreak as opposed to 4.2 is Intelliscreen, after all this time and looking at Android/WinMo/Palm's lockscreens it utterly amazes me that Apple still hasn't thought to put up any information on the lockscreen. Other than that there's not much I will miss anymore so yeah I'll be putting on 4.2 the very day it's released.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

So far, everything I've seen with 4.2, I already have with either jailbreak, small Safari tweaks like bookmarklets, or apps I've purchased (printing). I either need the JB to fail on me catastrophically in some fashion (not likely) or I need Apple to add something really amazing to compel me to upgrade.

Yawn. Glad I wasn't expecting much from this upgrade. As of now, I'm content enough to sit on the sidelines.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I only jaulbroke for categories. Assuming wireless printing and folders are all part of IOS 4.2 I see no issue in losing the jailbreak. In my eyes I'm gaining more than I am losing.

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had to share my nerd-ness with everyone. In anticipation for 4.2, I've pre organized my apps (on paper) into their respective folders, and how my home screen is going to be laid out. I'm trying not to jailbreak the iPad, so I'm patiently awaiting 4.2 folder features.

11. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I will sync the second a jailbreak is available for 4.2

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

12. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I will update when there is a jailbreak available.
    Then, I can change the mute lock to orientation lock, make folders not just a big version from the iPhone and multitasking like "mission control".

13. lozpop macrumors 6502

I will update. For my needs I don't have to jailbreak.
    I've tried the multitasking for weeks, and it's awesome. Can't wait to for the official release to see all the best apps being update to work with multitasking.

14. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

battery life?

I might hold off of iOS 4.2 because I've read that it shortens the battery life somewhat.

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I need folders.

I want my screen orientation lock switch.

I'm bothered by battery life postings (but haven't read in detail).

We need printing, but I'm not sure I have all the pieces in place to implement it anyway. But my DD really needs to be able to print from pages easily.

I will probably wait a bit to see how it all sorts out....

16. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not sure, I rarely use multitasking on the iPhone, and I'm really not that fond of folders. I much prefer email on the iPhone though so that is a good reason to update. On the other hand the orientation switch turning into a mute switch is just annoying, and is seriously making me think about not updating.

17. newagemac macrumors 68020

Actually you're probably always using multitasking on the iPhone. When you "close" an app and then go back to it later (even from the regular home screens) you are using the multitasking feature. That's why it opens back up immediately and right where you left off.

You don't have to double click on the home button to do the multitasking.

18. SA22C macrumors regular

I've been on 4.2 since Beta 1 and I couldn't even think about going back. I don't see a burning need to jailbreak the iPad anymore and will most likely leave it alone.

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

I've been on the 4.2 betas since they came out and I couldn't go back now.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have my iPod touch jailbroken on 4.1, and it's really nice. I'm looking forward to having my iPad on 4.2 jailbroken. I'll update the moment a jailbreak for 4.2 is out, but will stay on 3.2 jailbroken until then.

21. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You are right that the iPhone is multitasking most of the time, but for me it is rare that it is actually doing anything useful for me. To be honest there is only one app on the iPad that I wish could multitask at the moment and that's my twit app. And as I've already said the unified mail would be really nice. I'm just not sure that any of them are more useful to me than the orientation switch.

22. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Upgrade, I like folders over Categories. And Multitask 4.2 is sweet. So easy to create an app folder. Much easier than Cate. But I will jailbreak once it's out for 4.2. I like infinidock, VM, IFile and a couple other things.

23. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Also been on 4.2 since beta 1 and would'nt consider going back. No issues whatsoever with battery life either

24. SA22C macrumors regular

I think that I saw a notable difference in Beta 1 and 2, but I think that Beta 3 has solved the issues for the most part.

25. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Will update after 4.2 jailbreak is avail.

The multitasking is so needed, but I like the soft home button (Activator) much much more.