Are you going to use Ping?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forza69, Sep 1, 2010.

?

Will you use Ping?

1. Yes

80 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    19.9%
  3. Maybe

63 vote(s)
    25.1%
  4. Definitely not and I'm tired of everyone adding social networking to everything

58 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I don't think I am but who knows. Seems like another Facebook attempt. Not saying I want it to fail but it's been done already..

2. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I am stuck on the sign up page, server must be flooded.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Geez. Its not like social networking is new.
    IRC
    Newsgroups
    Yahoo
    Geocities
    MSN
    Myspace
    Facebook
    Buzz

it keeps replicating!!!! Kill it with fire! :p

4. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I signed up for it, chances are I will follow some of my favorite artists, and friends that join up, but I can't see myself using it too much. Like with Twitter, I have one, but I don't use it much, the way I see it, Facebook is everything, and if not, I won't use it much. I don't see Ping as trying to take on Facebook, its something unique.

5. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Yep. I'm going to use it because the main reason i started using social networks was to connect with other people who had different music tastes like myself.

So while it's not quite enough to replace last.fm for me. It's pretty cool nonetheless and i'm going to use it

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm already signed up the only problem is the bands i like aren't listed in ping.

If you like good old rock and roll search for Peace

7. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I wish Rush and Bruce Springsteen had Ping pages. Thats real music ;)

8. velorapide macrumors newbie

So Steve said "you can post photos and videos" on Ping, but I am not seeing anywhere that I can do that. Features seem limited.

9. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Features are definitely limited at this point. However I think this could potentially be very interesting for Apple.

10. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

My social networking is as streamlined as I can get it. I'm still trying to get the best content to me the fastest and get off the computer. I don't mind being online but on days like today where I've been on here for 5hrs... it's too much.

Could Ping be good for finding new music? Absolutely. But I've relied on Genius playlists to find music I already own and didn't know was good or the Genius suggestions for finding new music. I don't see myself on Ping but I'm not ruling it out yet.

11. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

i would if i could use my username instead of being forced to use my itunes billing name

12. Kawininja619 macrumors member

I already have last.fm and it does what I want for a music social network. So probably not.

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I'm a dj so this could be interesting for me to use since i'm adding tracks to my library everyday and so are people i know. I do follow some dj's to see what kind of tracks are being released and played so this might be a good way to find and share new stuff!!

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I kind of want to but it looks like its catered to the bubblegum pop bullshat. :(

15. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I feel your pain. The sad thing is that at least 90% of the Ping users will be "pop bullshat" consumers (I deliberately don't call them listeners because there's nothing to listen to with that kind of "music").

</music elitist rant off>

16. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I will probably use it. I just wish they'd show songs you put into itunes instead of just the ones you bought in itunes.

17. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I dont like the fact that you have to use your real name and not pick a user name. Plus i don't buy many tunes from iTunes so your right it should show the tracks you have in your library or have recently played etc.

18. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Luckily Shakira is on there though!

19. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ping *might* be the first "social network" I've ever used. It's focused on something I care about, it looks to be easy to keep private, and most importantly, doesn't seem to be all about letting old girlfriends/dope smoking HS buddies find me just to say hello.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No. I do enough sharing online. I'm holding out for a Toiletbook, share your bowel movements with others. :rolleyes:

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said.

I have no interest in it.

Nice try Apple but it's too little too late.

That said I do believe it may gain widespread acceptance amongst people with more time to waste.

22. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, I don't see any reason to at this point.

23. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I'm all signed up, whether I actually end up using it depends on how good it gets.

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No.

I value my privacy -- what little is left.

25. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

NO.

I have Facebook to keep in touch with my real friends around the world, Twitter to laugh and joke with my online friends and Last.fm for my music social networking. That's quite enough.

To me its just another lame attempt to get you to buy YET more music. Everything demonstrated was "listen to this" and "try that" etc. I guess if they keep you hanging around in iTunes, you're bound to buy something eventually.