Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
So you're saying that to remain ahead of the others, in terms of looks, they have to redesign every year? I guess that makes sense but if they keep redesigning so often, there's pretty much guaranteed to be another "antennagate" issue of some sort because of designs being rushed. Obviously, that could be prevented with thorough testing and such but I'm not sure if that's something they'd risk. I agree with you, though. I'm just trying to think what they might be thinking.

Not just looks but feature set. In order to add certain features the design may also be need to be altered. Besides they need to stay fresh. Using the same design just becomes stale and stagnant. That said I do like the iPhone 4 and would be happy if they kept it the same but add better functionality and features.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
No, no mate ... I learned long ago that a discussion on MacRumors, period, is impossible. I gave up trying long ago.

Quote for truth. :D

Not just looks but feature set. In order to add certain features the design may also be need to be altered. Besides they need to stay fresh. Using the same design just becomes stale and stagnant. That said I do like the iPhone 4 and would be happy if they kept it the same but add better functionality and features.

We're pretty much on the same page with this. :) Hoping for a redesign, happy with a better iPhone 4.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Yes

Technology changes at the speed of light.

The iPhone line is huge for Apple.

Other phones are constantly innovating and catching up. Apple needs a new iPhone every year. It can do the S followed by the full but it will need to be fresh every 12 months.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
There are people here who a seriously upset about the type of phone apple reveals. I want an "iPhone 5" as much as the next guy but it's nothing to get worked up over. It's probably not going to happen. We had the same design for both the 3G and the 3GS so I'm guessing the 4 and "4S" will have the same design, too. If it does, so be it.

Personally, I don't think there ever was a "pattern" for iPhone releases to start with. Who is to say that the 3G to 3GS wasn't an anomaly with Apple iPhone releases, and that the "pattern" they want to use is redesign every year. Either way, we are trying to claim a pattern from only 4 iPhones so far. I'd say that, this would be too few inputs to claim an accurate pattern.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Personally, I don't think there ever was a "pattern" for iPhone releases to start with. Who is to say that the 3G to 3GS wasn't an anomaly with Apple iPhone releases, and that the "pattern" they want to use is redesign every year. Either way, we are trying to claim a pattern from only 4 iPhones so far. I'd say that, this would be too few inputs to claim an accurate pattern.

Yeah, I forgot to add that to my original post. I know it's too early to try and look for patterns but I was just using that as an example. :) Thanks for reminding me, though.

kid0

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Montreal, QC
I know that the rumor mill starts churning around this time but seriously? There are people here who a seriously upset about the type of phone apple reveals. I want an "iPhone 5" as much as the next guy but it's nothing to get worked up over. It's probably not going to happen. We had the same design for both the 3G and the 3GS so I'm guessing the 4 and "4S" will have the same design, too. If it does, so be it. I will still buy it considering I'm using a 3GS now. If they do change the design, great. I don't think it's fair to expect a redesign every time they release a new product. It's just not possible. Sorry to add more clutter to the forum but I just want to say that.

LOL. It's just not possible? who says so?

and

Me, being one of the "CUSTOMERS" of Apple company, want REDESIGNED iPhone 5.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
LOL. It's just not possible? who says so?

and

Me, being one of the "CUSTOMERS" of Apple company, want REDESIGNED iPhone 5.

I meant it's not possible to redesign every single year.

And, if you've ever worked in retail, you would know that the customer is not always right. In fact, they are almost always wrong. ;)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The market will determine what Apple does with each new iPhone. That's it. If that means a new design every year then that's what apple will do. Technology is moving so fast, and will be moving twice as fast next year. So we will see. But right now, more then ever before is the perfect time for Apple to drop a bomb just like they did 07. And mark my my words they will.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I know that the rumor mill starts churning around this time but seriously? There are people here who a seriously upset about the type of phone apple reveals. I want an "iPhone 5" as much as the next guy but it's nothing to get worked up over. It's probably not going to happen. We had the same design for both the 3G and the 3GS so I'm guessing the 4 and "4S" will have the same design, too. If it does, so be it. I will still buy it considering I'm using a 3GS now. If they do change the design, great. I don't think it's fair to expect a redesign every time they release a new product. It's just not possible. Sorry to add more clutter to the forum but I just want to say that.

Maybe if the iPhone 4 design was well done, and wasn't so flawed, then yes I wouldn't want a redesign except a bigger screen. This time, i want both.

I meant it's not possible to redesign every single year.

And, if you've ever worked in retail, you would know that the customer is not always right. In fact, they are almost always wrong. ;)

And if you worked in retail, then you would know that no matter what, the customer is always right. ;)

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
i'm not expecting a new redesign every year, but i do think that the iPhone 4 design fell out of favor with the executive team. also, i don't think the exterior made of all glass was a wise choice.

i am pretty sure there will be redesign, with a titanium back.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
When you are one of the most profitable companies in the world, and are famous for creating the most iconic and respected line of electronics in the past 10 years (iPod, iPhone, iPad), then yes absolutely they should create a newly redesigned iPhone 5.

I think a spec bumped iPhone 4 is a pretty pathetic outcome of a 16month development cycle for the best selling phone series in the world, from a company well known to house some of the best designers and creative individuals in the tech world.

I can still taste the bitterness of the iPhone 3GS, and you know what ? I think Apple can to.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I only expect a redesign when it makes sense. The iPhone 4 design is flawed, and all the bad publicity from the antennaegate crap will surely surface again.

FmaxTurboSi

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
socal
Do i expect a new design every year? No. But as a consumer, I want a redesign if the next generation phone is going to come out every 12-18 months. The amount of new tech that is available within a 12 month period is so great, that a redesign is not too much to ask. If a refresh was scheduled every 3-6 months, then I wouldn't care so much and minor updates would be fine.

So a thinner, faster, larger screened, iPhone 5 with the same battery life is something that apple should be able to produce. If not, oh well. I'll still be happy with my iphone4, and I won't be one of the hundreds of people that are going to start a new thread so they can whine and cry about how disappointed they are.:rolleyes:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Had the fifth generation iPhone been launching this summer I would have maybe expected a similar design, but with it being announced and released in the coming weeks I fully expect a redesign. 16 months is too long to not not innovate and change the design, especially with all the Android phones and even the BlackBerry 9850 having larger screens.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Yes i am expecting a new design and so are many other people. That is where the problem is. After a period of time people will inevitably look at different phones because they expect something different. We are consumers if nothing changed then we will look at alternatives. Imagine if after the 3GS Apple kept the same design and just bumped the specs. People would lose patience and therefore buy a competitors product. Apple knows that a redesign is their best chance of increasing sales which is their goal.

This year I have seen a lot more people than before on this forum talking about trying another phone. The IPhone 4 to me was an amazing upgrade from the 3gs and if they can match the wow factor again then I will be buying the new IPhone. If not I will have to consider a new phone largely because of the screen size on the IPhone 4.

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
Samsung comes out with a new design every other week it feels like, I'm sure apple can come up with some improvements to the design after 16 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.