Are you guys seriously expecting a redesign every year now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mloffa, Oct 1, 2011.

1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I know that the rumor mill starts churning around this time but seriously? There are people here who a seriously upset about the type of phone apple reveals. I want an "iPhone 5" as much as the next guy but it's nothing to get worked up over. It's probably not going to happen. We had the same design for both the 3G and the 3GS so I'm guessing the 4 and "4S" will have the same design, too. If it does, so be it. I will still buy it considering I'm using a 3GS now. If they do change the design, great. I don't think it's fair to expect a redesign every time they release a new product. It's just not possible. Sorry to add more clutter to the forum but I just want to say that.

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Not another new thread! Someone please help me!

3. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

The difference between my thread and the rest is that I want to have an actual discussion. Thanks for your input.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You just apologized for adding more clutter. What difference does your thread make?

5. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Well my input is that considering the iPhone is half of their revenue, and considering that we haven't seen a new iPhone in over a year, they should redesign it (which would be the iPhone 5) and come out with a 4S as the low-priced iPhone.

6. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

That could be a possible solution, I guess. But would they really want 2 products competing against each other? If they did this, they would have the make the price difference really significant. I saw in another thread someone mentioned the possibility of a $99 4S and a standard $199 5. That could work, maybe.

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Not every year, but due to the significant amount of controversy about the iPhone 4 design and "Antennagate" I think a redesign is in Apple's best interest. Furthermore, considering how long it's been since the last refresh it would look really bad if it was simply an "S" upgrade.

8. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I understand that but they probably could fix the "antennagate" problem without completely redesigning the phone. Maybe just a coating or something around the edges? I'm sure they could think of something more cost efficient than a brand new design. But then again, a typical consumer probably won't even know if they did such a thing and still think it has the antenna issue. So, I don't know.

9. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Guess it's too much to try and start a discussion on a forum anymore. Jeez. :confused:

delete thread, please.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I believe there will be a redesign every year as every year there are new phones from their competitors. The Android and Windows Phone 7 platforms both will get upgrades every year from various manufacturers. In order to stay competitive and the top of their game Apple will have to do the same.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think it has a lot to do with the 16 month wait. Now, if they say the delay is because of the disaster in Japan, then it is understandable. But, other than that, an "S" upgrade would look awful.

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This is exactly why I think they need to do a redesign, to regain customer confidence. The truth of the matter though, is that most customers probably never knew about the "Antennagate" issue.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Ignore applefan289, ignore anybody who likes to whine about anything, like applefan289...

The purpose of a forum is to start threads and have a discussion, so don't let whiners put you down

14. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

But the iPhone 4 is arguably still one of the best looking phones currently out. I think they could get away with just updating the specs a bit this time around. Again, though, I'd really love a nice redesign. I just don't think it's coming.

True. I guess it's really up to apple to decide what they think the right solution is. I just think they can get away without redesigning this time around.

--
    And thanks PinkFloyd, you're right about those kinds of people.

15. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It's ANOTHER thread, that's the issue. You could have easily asked this question in one of the numerous other threads, I can't wait for Tuesday because a) this place will quieten down, and b) all the whiners who "threaten" to "leave" Apple if a redesign doesn't occur might stay true to their word.

16. brodas macrumors regular

17. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

As I'm sure you've noticed, it's impossible to have a discussion in pretty much every other thread here. Thanks for your input, though.

Could you elaborate?

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think that's enough to keep their phone business successful. Besides Apple is known for innovation and regularly updating their products with new features and upgrades. It goes against their philosophy to continue using the same design for several years. For them to remain competitive and to remain the best selling smart phone brand they have to innovate.

At the end of the day what describes Apple best is innovative design in my opinion. Not everyone will agree with me but the iPhone 4 is the best designed and best looking phone on the market. That said they can't keep the same design for several years.

19. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

after 16 months YES there should be redesign, ellse = fail

20. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I think most people were expecting a redesign for two reasons, a bigger screen, and due to the antenna problem the iPhone 4 had.

21. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

So you're saying that to remain ahead of the others, in terms of looks, they have to redesign every year? I guess that makes sense but if they keep redesigning so often, there's pretty much guaranteed to be another "antennagate" issue of some sort because of designs being rushed. Obviously, that could be prevented with thorough testing and such but I'm not sure if that's something they'd risk. I agree with you, though. I'm just trying to think what they might be thinking.

22. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I don't think they need to every year, but I think they need to THIS year, the whole antenna thing first of all. Plus I think they need to step up to a 4 inch screen. I don't think it's necessary to go any thinner but if they do I won't complain of course. But after that I don't think they need to do anything, there's really no need to go bigger than 4 inches, and they should get that antenna back inside the phone.

23. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

No, no mate ... I learned long ago that a discussion on MacRumors, period, is impossible. I gave up trying long ago.