Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FirePak

macrumors regular
May 5, 2006
Mesa Arizona
I think its a great device, the 8gb seems way low. I was also hoping for a camera with flash. Everything else is awesome tho. Not 100% yet if im going to pick one up or not.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
%80 happy lol ,btw anyone knows the mp on the camara on ipod touch? is it 5?

i hope it takes good stills

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Could anybody tell if the new Ipod has a built in mic or is it still going to use the IN-Line mic. Mr. Jobs glossed over that.

I want a built in mic!

Check it out at the Apple store. There is a mic hole next to the back camera.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I'm ecstatic about the new model. They got rid of the annoying curve too! Alas, chrome is back again, but that is pretty minimal I guess. I now await the teardown to see what this one looks like on the inside.

Apple said it got thinner again too. How thin are these going to get before they finally stop?? I was afraid of breaking the last model and it dropped .05 inches...

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Could anybody tell if the new Ipod has a built in mic or is it still going to use the IN-Line mic. Mr. Jobs glossed over that.

I want a built in mic!

it can record video so it'll have to have a mic..unless they want people to record video without sound lol

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
it can record video so it'll have to have a mic..unless they want people to record video without sound lol
But the mic hole is on the back which is fine for movies.
where is the mic for Facetime and the front camera?

ingraman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Wish it had a better rear camera and gps functionality. Still better than the alternatives I'll just wait for the 5th gen though, have enough gadgets on me already.

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I am beyond happy with the new Touch features. I've moved from 1st gen to 3rd gen without noticing too much difference, but the 4th gen actually has everything I was hoping for an more.

Chrome back? It gets covered.

No flash? Seriously, I have a great pocket digital for that, but love that I can take quick photos if I want.

The rest of the features....Saaaaweeet!

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I am beyond happy with the new Touch features. I've moved from 1st gen to 3rd gen without noticing too much difference, but the 4th gen actually has everything I was hoping for an more.

Chrome back? It gets covered.

No flash? Seriously, I have a great pocket digital for that, but love that I can take quick photos if I want.

The rest of the features....Saaaaweeet!

No flash is needed for videos. It can't take stills. I'm completely fine with that. And chrome goes away anyways as you said. :D

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
It CAN take stills, just no flash.

Really? Excellent. I didn't see that anywhere on the website. Also, is the 8GB option a rehashed 3G? Or does it pack the A4 and likely 512 RAM? Speed is everything for me. :cool:

EDIT: Just found the spot. A++ upgrade. Much better than last year. Remember those 'wish' lists? I think everything came true (except 128GB and 3G). :D

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Wish it had a better rear camera and gps functionality. Still better than the alternatives I'll just wait for the 5th gen though, have enough gadgets on me already.

Agree on the disappointments, but the 5G is NOT gonna be much better, IMO. This is the most significant upgrade we've ever seen for the iPod touch, IMO. And I'd prefer to be using that awesome display for the year to come. ;)

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I am kind of amazed that all the rumors came true this time as well, other than the speculation that the nano and shuffle would turn into one device and the classic would die. The classic is not dead and there are still 4 different ipods to choose from. This is basically the biggest update to the touch ever, after last year's lackluster update, it was worth the wait. Everyone who waited deserves this!

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Here is a picture of the mic on the Touch. I'm sure it will work fine for facetime.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/facetime.html

I'm not so sure since it IS on the back where it will pick up echoes and generally be muffled from someone holding it in their hand while talking.
The iphone has a mic on the front of course since it is a phone.
Not my problem though as I'm not getting one so I'll drop it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.