Are you happy with smart watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by R.P.G, May 22, 2019.

?

Are you happy with Smart watch or Miss traditional Watch

1. I am Happy with Smart watch

59 vote(s)
    84.3%
  2. I Miss Traditional Watches

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Never Had smart watch

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Don't like traditional watches

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. R.P.G macrumors regular

I like watches. Have plenty of them. From cheap Knockoffs to expensive ones.

Whenever i check Apple watch, i wanted to get one. but, i feel, i cant stick to one watch model.
    i will definitely miss different traditional watches if i commit to smart watch, which has stuck to one squire shape. You can get different bands but that wont beat having different watches.

So, my question to those who bought apple watch(specifically watch enthusiasts). Are you happy with the watch or you went back to traditional watches. I agree smart watch has many other benefits. but not everyone uses/likes them.

Thanks.

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I am not a watch lover until I get the Apple Watch series 3. From that point, I wear that Apple Watch almost all day unless it runs out of power. For me, the huge utility is much more important than shape or material. This makes me finally decide to go for Apple Watch, which has amazing features including heart rate tracking.
    Personally, if I have the chance to wear a traditional watch, I may pick a cheap one (not knockoff) and get away with it. Traditional watch tells time and nothing much else.

3. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I'm very happy with my Apple Watch. I really like the health and fitness features. Keeping my move and exercise rings filled is a daily goal for me. Some days I start out with my Apple Watch and switch to a mechanical later in the day. It just depends on my mood.

My traditional watches range from Omega to Hamilton, so I try to keep them in rotation with my Apple Watch. I appreciate both smartwatches and mechanical watches. Each have a place in my collection.

4. Itinj24 macrumors regular

Never liked wearing anything on my wrists until smartwatches came to be. My first one was a real slow POS Sony watch that at the time (~7 years ago), I believe it was the only one around, or one of very few. Saw it on the shelf at the Verizon store and was intrigued. Purchased it for 100 bucks and fell in love with them (smartwatches) since. I’ve had many over the years- The Sony, Galaxy Gear, Moto 360 (1 & 2), LG Watch Sport by Google, Frontier S3, (a few others I’m sure I’m forgetting) and now the Apple Watch 4. Also, I will never get another one again that doesn’t have LTE. Saved me a few times when my phone died. Great little backup device coupled with the convenience. I will be upgrading every time Apple launches a new one. Feel naked without one.

5. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I have a nice Bulova watch my wife gave to me. It needs a battery and new band, so it sits in a drawer. She got me an S2 that I charge every night and use daily.

6. TommyBoy5 macrumors regular

Best thing in my life since I met my wife.

And I have two kids.

7. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

My wife says yes. Me, I’ll stick with my Submariner.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

My Series 0 Apple Watch was the first watch I wore in some two decades. It served me well until I purchased my Series 4.

9. BobbyJet macrumors newbie

BobbyJet

i used to have 25 watches. I now have two. My apple 4 and a selfwinder. I love my AW and have never looked back. Will not go back to mechanical watches. I love them and their style, but my health and activity is a priority. My health is better and i am much more active. Wont go back.

10. Vanilla35, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I'm not much of a watch guy in general, but I think for aesthetics the traditional watch is way more classy and stylish. It's just something that a digital watch face cannot recreate. It's about the way the physical watch components look in real life. Not just reflection off said physical design, but also the thinness, and to a certain degree the distinction it has through social context and history of timepieces.

I'm extrapolating quite a bit, but those are my collected thoughts just from observation, and from having owned a Apple watch now for the first time this year.

Regarding the smart watch, there is a big social component to having the apple watch (at least for friends in my age bracket and geographic location) as well, so that has it's own benefits, but it's not really the core of whether it's liked, or just relevant, in the same way that instagram is relevant to other people in their 20's.

I am also the type of person that would never buy a toyota, honda, or another cookie cutter car, because it is too bland though.

I also have a space black series 4.

11. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

A traditional watch is basically jewelry. A smartwatch is a tool. What do you want to do? Either is OK.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Love my Apple Watch

Think I will get the SS next

13. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

A smartwatch is both for me. I have maybe 10 mechanical watches and I haven't used them since I bought my first Apple Watch. Doesn't help that all the batteries have died and I don't feel like changing any of them as I probably wouldn't use it and it would be a waste of money. Also buying 1 SS Apple Watch every 3-4 years is cheaper than me buying mechanical watches.

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Love watches. Always loved the idea of something that was independent that could tell me the time, on my person. Problem is, I work on a computer all day. So I always had to take it off to type, which meant, I was always putting on, taking it off, so I abandoned traditional watches for this reason.

The Apple Watch was something I laughed at when it first came out. I thought it was so ridiculous and couldn't believe anyone dropping $300 on it. Well, my wife and I got our AW 3 GPS over a year ago and ... we love it. It is so light, a great encouragement to get in shape, interfaces with the phone well, can take/make calls and text messages, and it is ALWAYS on the right time.

During my MANY work travels to other countries last year I noticed all the people setting their watches before/after airplane flights - I never had to do that and my watch was always on the right time.

I got a sports loop and can leave it on 24/7 even when typing/sleeping. The sleep analysis from auto sleep is really nice.

The ability to ring my phone when I lost my phone is very handy. I've had a few times where I got stuck in a dark place without power and used my watch's flashlight feature to safely get out. Also, when I was waiting for important calls - the watch notifies me of all my calls - and gives me the option of answering the call if I can't get to my phone fast enough.

The exercise analysis features (heart rate, splits when doing multiple mile runs, GPS tracking) is very useful.

I like it and have used it EVERY DAY for over a year now - going on two. I can't imagine life without an Apple Watch now.

15. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

I have a Seiko 100m Kinetic that cost about the same as an Apple Watch, that doesn't need charging, that in 20 years required the one full service teardown (did it when it was 18 years old), that will maintain time if I left it a drawer for 6 months, that I have washed in the dishwasher, and is significantly more recyclable than any smart watch.

16. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

That’s great for you and not at all what I was implying. I didn’t buy 1 watch and planned on keeping it for the rest of my life. I started buying 2-3 watches per year. The Apple Watch has stopped me from doing this since my first Apple Watch.

17. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

Ummmm, I quoted what I was referring to for a reason and not implying anything outside of that. I'm referring to your saying that buying Apple Watches is cheaper than buying mechanical watches… because it isn't. Not unless you're incapable of buying a decent mechanical watch which "I started buying 2-3 watches per year" sort of suggests.

18. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Not sure where your are going with this. You are implying a lot and have no idea what you are talking about. What you first quoted I even said “cheaper than me buying mechanical watches”. I never said it was generally cheaper or better for everyone. The title of the thread is “Are you happy”.

19. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

There should be a choice, for, "I wear both..."

20. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

With my Apple Watch, I make payments, I check up on my children's location, I control my Tesla, I text and email, etc.
    It makes my life so much more convenient.

21. Shanghaichica, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Yes. I wear my Apple Watch every day and have done since launch day in 2015. I had traditional watches before but I wasn’t consistent in wearing them. An Apple Watch does so much more than simply tell the time. I use it everyday to make payments, set reminders, triaging notifications, reply to messages, making and receiving calls, setting alarms and timers, as a remote for my Apple TV, tracking my activity, as a flashlight, to find my phone and lots more.

I would like Apple to add native sleep tracking and access to notes but that’s about it. It does everything.

22. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

Can't imagine being without it. It's like missing life before smartphones. I don't miss my pager, traditional watches or looking things up in an encyclopedia. (Showing my age here :)))

23. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I've toyed with the idea of getting a smart watch, as someone who loves a gadget. But over the last year or so I've grown to begin hating notifications so I can imagine having all of that information and distraction literally at arms length from me would become tiring.

I think I'll stick to my Casio G-Shocks for now.

24. nikkisharif macrumors member

You can pick and choose the notifications. I use my watch mainly for fitness but also have weather notifications turned on & use Apple Pay quite frequently. I don’t answer calls or respond to emails & texts from my watch. Those notifications are turned off. It’s only distracting if you allow it to be. Just my 2 cents

25. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502a

Yes. I’d say it’s my favorite Apple product in years. I’ve had every series. I’ve also had Omega watches, a Rolex, and a few decent micro-brand mechanicals.

After 2 years with the Apple Watch, I finally sold my last mechanical watch, my Seamaster, because it literally stayed in my night stand. I began to feel ridiculous having such a nice watch and never wearing it.

Yes, there are things a miss about my mechanical watches. The sweet sound of the second hand or the beating of the movement. The beautiful glow of wonderful lume. Not having to charge it.... They’re all outweighed by the usefulness of my Apple Watch. One watch for daily wear and fitness and organization.