Are You Happy With Your New Ipod5?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DioFan, Oct 16, 2012.

1. DioFan macrumors newbie

For those that have received the new Ip5: Thoughts/opinions please. Unfortunately, mine is still in the mail system:confused:

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My son's blue/32GB one arrived yesterday (previously had a 4th gen one). He is very happy with it.

He likes the look of it, the bigger screen, the white front (though it's not my taste), the better camera and LED flash, the wrist strap, and he expects the faster processor will be an improvement for games.

He was disappointed that the earpods don't have the mike/control buttons.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    It's a winner

Totally delighted with my white/silver 32GB. Love the display and am especially delighted with Siri, which responds instantly and is turning into a very efficient assistant. The camera is terrific and the dictation is accurate enough I rarely have to use the keyboard when texting, searching, or composing email (which is a good thing, for me). It's fast, battery life is good, and it charges very fast when I plug it into Apple's 10W USB power adapter.

I also have an iPad 2, so using the smaller screen has taken some getting used to. Do plan to keep most of my gaming and reading to the iPad since the screen is so much larger.

I think I have the best of both worlds right now. My iPad 2 with iOS 5.1.1 and my iPod touch 5G with iOS 6 - the latter being a heck of a lot more portable!

4. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Had mine for almost a week now and I'll be honest, I really love mine.

As a gadget, I still marvel at how sleek it looks and how great the screen is (I've never owned an iPhone). I think the screen size is good and still comfortable in the pocket.

Speed wise, it's been a great upgrade from my iPod touch 4G. I play a lot of games on multiple systems, but avoided anything intensive on my 4G because it couldn't run well. On the 5G, Nova 3, IB2 an pretty much everything else look and play great.

I've used the camera a ton more now that you can actually take decent pictures and video. I'm fla the added the led, it helps a little an makes a great flashlight!

I love the feel of the device as well. It's so light and thin, maybe a little too thin.

I really haven't stumbled into anything disaplointing (to me). The only minor quibble I have is thr wish I had a 64gb.

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Tomorrow will be a week and I'm very happy with the upgrade from my 4g! I'm eagerly awaiting the cases I've ordered so I don't feel like I'm going to drop this incredibly thin device!

6. gerbilbox macrumors regular

I've been using it for five days now, and it's fantastic. It replaced my 3rd gen iPod touch (non-retina), so I made a big jump. My eyesight is good so I can see pixels on the display, but that's if I make an effort to notice them. For the first time in my life I can view a screen without seeing a jumble of glowing squares. Add to this the huge improvement in contrast and saturation.

Of course, it's fast (not as fast as the iPhone 5 I played with at the Apple Store), has a decent camera, Internet seems faster or more responsive. Mostly, I use it as a PDA heavily using Reminders and Calendar, but also for Music and web browsing. In almost way that I use it it's improved. Siri is a nice addition since it's pretty accurate with my voice at least, and it's faster to use to create new Reminders and Calendar entries than typing them manually.

The only downside is the lack of ambient light sensor; it's annoying but I can live.

7. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I am extremely happy with my ipod touch. Not saying my ipt 4g wasn't awesome for its time but I'm happy I'm moving on.

8. DioFan thread starter macrumors newbie

How are you guys/gals getting them so fast, Apple stores? The closest Apple store in my area is like 300 miles away, so that wasen't really an option. Should have mine by tomarrow or Friday if UPS tracking is correct.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I pre-ordered on September 14. Mine was delivered October 12.

My closest Apple store is also 300 miles away, which is why I pre-ordered.

10. Scipod macrumors newbie

Extremely pleased with my new white/red iPod touch 5g. The colors on the device are vibrant and catch your eye. The display is gorgeous and is much improved over the previous generation(mostly richer colors, the added .5 inches was a much needed improvement) this is the most similar iPod touch has ever been to the iPhone. The upgrades made to the camera have almost completely changed the device(more instagram use, better FaceTime/Skype quality, flash, and over 4 megapixel upgrade:):):D:D:D

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

12. aquaboi924 macrumors member

absolutely. this thing is fantastic. i'm using it more than my iphone4 at the moment...although that will change when i get the iphone5. haha. i have the red 64gb. enjoying every minute - the screen, it's fast, sleek, and i think gives better audio (headphone/earphones) than my iphone...

13. shawncooper78 macrumors newbie

RE: Are You Happy With Your New Ipod5?

I would like to know about updated features in iPod 5, planning to get one.

14. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

yes, absolutely I am happy. the design makes me so freaking awesome. it is even much better than iPhone 5. many people wish that iPhone 5 would be similar with ipod touch aluminum back. it is the thinnest device ever. there is no comparison yet. I think that it's impossible to make more thinner than this.

by the way, there is some error occurring during wireless synchronization. I think that itunes 11 will solve all.

do you guys know when itunes 11 will be available? my guess October 23rd (ipad mini event).

15. MicroByte macrumors 6502

In a nutshell...

• Faster A5 Processor
    • Better 5MP camera on the back
    • Better Front facing camera
    • LED Flash for back camera
    • 4" IPS Retina Display
    • Lightning Connector
    • Siri

There are probably more, but this is what I could think of at this time.

16. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Preordered on-line from the Apple Canada web site. It actually came 2 days earlier than the estimate. Today was the scheduled delivery date.

17. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I got mine on Friday, and could not be more delighted with it. It's replacing a 2nd generation Touch that was running iOS 3, so it's nice to have the entirety of the App Store available to me again.

18. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Ordered from Macmall on Monday, got it today. $294, free shipping and no tax.

19. Blackened macrumors regular

how does the design make you awesome?

20. shawncooper78 macrumors newbie

RE: Are You Happy With Your New Ipod5?

Thanks a lot dude. Will own one this weekend.

21. dthree36 macrumors regular

I couldn't resist playing with the one I bought for my daughters XMas present. I loaded all the content she uses and ran it through some test on some of the program she had installed on my old iPhone. She is going to love this thing. So much faster and nicer than my old iPhone that is being used as an iPod. To bad she will have to wait 2 months but not a big deal since she doesn't know she is getting one.

22. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

Loves mines pick it up at the Apple Store Product Red:D

23. MicroByte macrumors 6502

No problem, I'm really happy with mine and hope you like it as well. It's a great update regardless of what generation you are coming from.

24. mxt920 macrumors newbie

Like most people here, I have found it to be great. I'm actually upgrading from an iPhone 4; I decided to get a data-only plan with a 4G hotspot and use the iPod as my phone (with Skype & Google Voice). So far so good.

My only complaint is that it doesn't include the brightness-sensor. I wouldn't have thought it'd be a big deal, but I guess it's a testament to how useful a feature it was that I never noticed how well it worked until I didn't have it anymore. It's just a bit of a hassle now to manually unlock the phone and drill-down to the setting. Once the jailbreak comes out I'll add it to the lock screen and then I think it'll be fine.

Very happy with it!

25. smallaw macrumors newbie

Very pleased with it. The screen really is excellent, probably the best I've used in this form factor. Some worries I had have abated. I did wish they included an ambient light sensor, but I can deal with it. What ever compatibility was lost in the move to the lightning connector, I'm not encountering it. Works plugged into to my car's USB just fine. I also dig the 5 GHz WiFi.

My minor complaints: with big hands and long fingers, it's sort of hard for me to type on it because the iPod is so thin. I'm also seeing sporadic touch response issues near the edges of the display, although I can't be sure if it's me missing the keys or the iPod. It's odd because Apple nails touch accuracy. And the camera is only OK, a bit better than the iPhone 4 but not a massive leap ahead. Certainly nice to have though. Finally, I'm getting odd crashes with Safari and encountering some bugs with iOS 6, especially with Photo Stream. A few times, it looked like WiFi had shut off when the iPod was in sleep mode.