Are you healthier?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thefredelement, May 7, 2015.

1. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I thought my FueldBand was it and I loved it but now I find myself going out for walks or trying to do really anything to push myself towards the goal on the watch on my off days. I've even been shopping for a bicycle.

I really like the stand remind wrist vibration, I think if the fuel band had that it would have been better overall, but alas the fuel band is no more.

This watch is pretty cool.

2. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I have found myself pushing harder when I exercise to get my heartbeat higher now that its right there for me.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is a great motivator and hope it helps a lot of people. However for me the answer is NO.:D

[​IMG]

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'd like to say I'm healthier. But since the 24th of April I've managed to put on 90 grams.

5. Twyntub macrumors member

Definitely. Apart from setting your height/weight/age right at the start, there's nothing more to do - unless you want to do some more serious activity tracking. The three rings are a really simple way to visualise your activity, and there is some nice gentle 'nagging' through the day as required.

As a tool for serious athletes? Dunno - but 'normal' people that don't see (or are too 'busy' to see) the inside of a gym from one month to the next could easily extend their lives by years just through getting into the habit of being more active, day by day... so I think it's brilliant.

6. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

As I spend a majority of my day at a desk, I can say that the nagging reminders to stand up have actually significantly changed my activity throughout my work day.

7. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I had a Fuelband too, and I agree that the Apple watch is more motivating.

8. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I've almost lost a full notch in my band size in the past two weeks. From 170mm to ?????

Thank you apple watch

9. susan12369 macrumors 6502

In such a short time I wouldn't say I'm healthier, but I've been way more active and I'm psyched about that. Today, for the first time, I completed all 3 rings and never would have anticipated how happy that would make me :cool:

10. alxy8s macrumors member

Gotta love the hourly reminder to get up and walk to the fridge. ;)

11. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

What Calendar app is this? I need it.

12. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Sometimes the watch tells me to stand up for a minute but I'm already standing up loll wierd

13. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Maybe you were slouching? LoL

14. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I'm not sure if I'm healthier yet, but I'm definitely more active, which can't be a bad thing.

15. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I've been cyclical about my fitness for years, and most "tracking" options I've done over the years have lasted about 4-6 months. I never owned any kind of fitness band prior to the Apple Watch (I had considered a Fitbit, but never ended up with one), but I figured if I got one I'd just stop wearing it eventually. This is where I believe that the Apple Watch will exceed my expectations of other fitness bands. I find the other features to be so useful, that I don't expect I will just stop using it. I suppose it's possible I may stop paying attention to the Activity app, but that seems unlikely. It makes itself fairly well known.

16. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

17. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I agree. It's a bit too much of a commitment for me to use a dedicated fitness device, but the watch is so useful in other ways (and also so expensive) that I'm unlikely to stop using it. So I'll have the fitness stuff right there all the time, making it more likely that I'll use it.

18. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

It has definitely made me more active. I was already working out multiple times a week before but now I've been doing some form of exercise every day just so that I can feel the satisfaction of completing my activity rings. Even if some days it's just a walk, it's something I wasn't doing before.

It's too soon to know if it's improving my health but I'm going to try to stick with it.

19. Smartdrive macrumors regular

No way.
    Because I don't have a ****ig watch!
    The blood boils. The pressure rises. The brain explodes.

How is this suppose to make you healthier?

:mad:

20. digduggler macrumors 6502

I'm there too

I get three rings every day. I've eaten healthier. I put on a lb but my body is changing (the weight is muscle - I expect the drop soon as long as I keep the diet up). It really is changing my life. I know I am doing the work, but this is getting me there.

21. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

I've completed the three rings everyday since getting it two weeks ago. Going for the perfect month award! So yeah, it's really motivating me to exercise more. That alone is worth the $400 IMHO.

22. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

Definitely!

Attached Files:

23. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

Too bad I was on vacation after I got my watch so I did not complete three things for 3 days since 4/24/15. You are better than me!

24. H3rman macrumors 6502

I don't have my watch yet, but I have lost about 1 stone (14lbs) in the last year or so....does that count? :D:p

25. spotman macrumors member

spotman

The watch itself has not really done much persay, but before this I had a jawbone, and fitbit fitness tracker at different times, and health technology in general has been huge for me.

I got into the fitness tracking about 2 years ago. It took several months for it to really sink in, but after I started really making an effort I lost a lot of weight.

There is simply something special (for me) about having data points about how your doing with your personal health and fitness. Metrics such as steps, distance, active calories and minutes wherever they come from, have made a huge impact in my life.

At first it was really surprising many times to be visually explained to that I have not moved much or gotten enough exercise in a day.

I recall in the first week I had my fitbit, it sent me an email that said I had barely moved at all today, and I was shocked.

Fast forward many months, now if I get that email, I probably knew I would get it and have been lazy. The times though that I get that sort of message are less and less, and fitness and keeping in shape has become a much more natural part of my life. I guess for me all I needed was some data points to illustrate its importance and progress.

This next chapter of personal health technology is very exciting in my opinion.