Are you keeping Unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I looked at all 3 lines and I couldn't believe we only use 80-160mb a month. I thought we used way more than that!!

No one in my family has a jailbroken device or wants to be jailbroken. So no MyWi. I was thinking we should all just move to the $15 200mb plan and save $45/month. I could than add unlimited texting for only $15 more.

The only time we use more data is when we're out of town or on the road and "words with friends" uses data... lol

What would you suggest? I value your opinions :D

2. kcgunner macrumors member

Drop unlimited

My advice is drop the unlimited plan. $5 per line isn't much, but considering you never use over 2gb, why pay more? I'm dropping my unlimited plan too. 2gb is A LOT of data. You don't ever plan to tether, so unless you plan on watching a ton of netflix movies when it's released for iPhone, then drop it down to 2gb.

3. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I would never I am approaching 6 GB of data usage this month because of mywi. I've been in a hotel for most of the month with less than stellar Internet so I've been tethering. This doesn't happen to me all the time, but I find myself in these kinds of situations enough to warrant the unlimited data.

4. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Keeping

I too was shocked at how I never hit 1Gb or even close in many months. For the first time in years I checked my usage on AT&T.com and my minutes were small too, so i downgraded my minutes. With netflix coming to the iPhone I will be keeping it though and when the new iPhone comes out I know I will be using it a lot those first few months, so keeping unlimited. Once I look at those numbers and new apps I may change, but I want to be sure I'm grandfathered for awhile longer. Plus I would go with 2GB use and it's only five dollars less, so again keeping unlimited fir awhile. I could save a lot just by using roll over. It's crazy how many minutes I have, and once I have the iPhone 4 I will just use roll overs, so my plan will save me a lot soon.

5. monksealpup macrumors regular

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: seriously, keep it for a month or two. See if background apps and whatnot push your data usage through the roof. By late August/September you should have a good idea what your usage is like with iOS 4. Make the decision then. The MOST you can lose out on is $30/line.

6. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

like others have said you should keep unlimited for a month or two atleast.

not worth the 30 dollars saved to potentially realize you made a huge mistake.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would suggest you keep the unlimited for a couple more months to see if that data use history continues w/ the iP4. Then you can make an informed decision. You can always go to a new data plan, you can never get unlimited back.

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Yes. My history shows 200-800 MB/mo. I don't see much value in saving $5/mo to go from unlimited to 2GB. If I was under 200MB I might do it. But with Facetime eventually coming to 3G, I'll keep the unlimited as long as I can.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I am, but then I'm not getting a new phone, so nothing is changing on my account.

My wife's line is sticking with unlimited just because, its easier. She could live within the 2gb cap, but for 5 bucks, its not worth it, right now.

10. MrSingh macrumors regular

up to about a week ago i had a 30day smartphone simplicity tariff (£25) which came with unlimited data and 600mins. i then prepared for iP4 by calling o2 and telling them i wanted to convert to iP simplicity 30day - this was to ensure i get visual voicemail and access to free wifi hotspots.

i took the opportunity to then go for 900mins which is £30pm - but only because an o2 friend of mine says he will get me his 30 staff discount. so for just over £20pm i will have unlimited data and 900 mins. they assured me i would keep unlimited data unless i change tariff in the future - i got them to make a note on their system about this.

although during many months i may not use more than 500mb i think with the way iOS is going (Facetime for iP4, uploading HD vid to from iP4, API's which rely on data to keep pushing stuff like skype/twitter notifications etc. even when app isn't active, iAds etc.) having unlimited data will be very handy. also, i will be tethering (i guess by jailbreaking) my iP4 to my mini 10v hackintosh :)

11. TavisB macrumors member

12. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

considering I use 10-15GB of data a month.. yes I chose to stay with unlimited

13. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I dropped it to the 200mb plan..I am home most of the time on Wi-Fi, and rarely if ever go over 200mb.

14. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I think you should ask, what idiot is dropping the unlimited plan, because they worry about today and not the future?

15. mBox macrumors 68020

Wow! How do you manage that? Uggh Ive been on Rogers for over 2 years Unlimited and hit 1.1GB once due to overuse of LastFM. Actually a bunch of us iPhoners had a contest to see how can use up the most in a month. I won...kinda bitter-sweet since Ive never gone that high again :p

16. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Same here. At home and in the office I have WiFi. I'll be dropping to the 200MB plan and just check my usage daily and bump to 2GB as needed - surprising how that $15 a month adds up.

17. NashMan2 macrumors regular

Keeping it, I checked my usage and and am consistantly well over 200. What clinched staying was being barely over 2 GB this month. On vacation and using slingbox app.

18. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I never download apps over 3G, I don't stream movies.

The most data I've used since October 2009 is 263mb in march. Every other month has been 80-120mb. I have WiFi everywhere I go it seems like... lol

19. oldschooldude macrumors regular

Ditto this.

20. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

With regards to overages, it doesn't automatically start charging you once you've gone over the 2GB does it?

I know it reminds you when you're close to reaching your cap, but after that does data just not work until you buy more data?

21. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

+1

22. randomerratum macrumors 6502

My wife and I both have unlimited and I was relieved to hear that we'd be able to keep it. However, I did take a moment to check my usage on ATTs site and was SHOCKED to see that in the past few months I hadn't even broken the 100MB mark!!

I'm a HEAVY iPhone user and was expecting much different results, but now I realize that between home and work, I'm usually on WiFi! In fact, in the 16 or so months that I've had my iPhone 3G, i haven't even cracked 3GB on cellular in total! Only one month did I break 200MB, when I had a 2 week vacation away from my known Wifi networks.

I'm going to wait until a few months after getting the iPhone 4 to be sure, but I suspect that I'll drop it down at least to the 2GB limit... and if dropping down to 20MB saves me $15 a month, the occasional additional $15/200MB in special situations is really not a bad deal.

23. MrMacMini macrumors regular

keeping it. I average between 3gb - 6gb a month.

24. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

This.

25. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

from what i am reading from engadget and other source, whenever you need more than 200MB and going to overshoot a lot then you can upgrade to 2GB plan for that particular month for $10 then downgrade to next month to 200MB plan.

but let us wait and see whether that is really true and possible (who knows what ATT has for us) :cool: