Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I will receive mine on the 3rd, originally I was planning on putting it on Craigslist for local cash buyer and mark it up about 300 bucks. However after seeing the supply for the X isn't as constraint as first feared, I doubt people locally will pay over msrp for it. I'm current using a Samsung note 8 which last day for full refund is next Monday, so I need to make decision over the weekend whether to keep the X for myself or stick with note 8.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
My guess is that if you decide to sell, you'd get anywhere from $400-$600 over MSRP.
I'm not doing it, but I've done it before. I was fortunate enough to have the 7+ in Jet Black on launch day.
I had someone offer me $700 over what I paid, so I caved and sold it.

It sucked at the time to wait weeks for the next phone, but now that time has gone by, I don't regret it. It essentially paid for my new phone.

I know people hate scalpers, and I agree for those buying many things (whether it's concert tickets or phones) that skew the market and ruin it for us normal folks, but for those who have one single phone and decide to take a profit, it's hard to fault them.
They're not skewing the market or the experience for the rest of us IMO, and it's a market that Apple purposely creates.
They would never admit it, but they purposely cannot meet demand on day 1. They use the "always leave them wanting more" game better than anyone.

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
I have mine listed on Craigslist and OfferUp +$400. I have not gotten a single offer.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
Im gonna get 2 at the Apple store and craigslist them for a profit, I say hey supply and demand and If I spend all day and my time getting a phone someone is gonna pay extra for it when I sell it. Yes I have my Preorder headed my way Nov 3 as well!

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
USA
I ordered the 64GB and 256GB as couldn't decide on which memory size.

I decided on the 256GB, so cancelled the 64GB pre-order.

It didn't cross my mind to flip it. For me, the hassle for a few hundred £ isn't worth it.

At least cancelling the order means someone else will be happy on the 3rd. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would say the majority are keeping their X. But for those who may not like it or not interested in keeping it, I see some selling it immediately to make some profit.

hpnas

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
eBay and Craigslist are flooded with listings, it's going to be difficult to sell at any substantial profit if you sell via eBay given the 10% cut they take and the 2.9% cut PayPal takes

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
Selling both of mine! I have absolutely no need for either device, and some impatient folks would be happy to buy mine at unreasonable prices!

Same here. Where are you listing and what are your prices? Maybe I am too high.

Playing devils advocate here, why would anyone in this country pay anything over msrp when the maximum wait period if u order now is only 5-6 weeks away?

Because people are impatient and cause I can. Welcome to America.

Reactions: Elyphant

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
I have mine listed on Craigslist and OfferUp +$400. I have not gotten a single offer.

Probably because you don't even have the phone yet, lol.
[doublepost=1509477439][/doublepost]
Playing devils advocate here, why would anyone in this country pay anything over msrp when the maximum wait period if u order now is only 5-6 weeks away?

Because this is a country of instant gratification. They don't want to wait the 5-6 weeks.

Reactions: Elyphant

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I do not think the resale will be what people are expecting, maybe $200ish over what you actually paid. The fact people can line up on Friday and get the phone really hurts resale. 5-6 weeks is not the 3 months people were expecting.

I won't lie, I was hoping they would slip to 2018 and I could sell it for at least $500 over asking. It does not look like that is the case.

Reactions: vannibombonato

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
I do not think the resale will be what people are expecting, maybe $200ish over what you actually paid. The fact people can line up on Friday and get the phone really hurts resale. 5-6 weeks is not the 3 months people were expecting.
I agree. I am thinking about holding out for those wanting one around Christmas but then your return window is long gone. I guess you can always get MSRP.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008

I won't lie, I was hoping they would slip to 2018 and I could sell it for at least $500 over asking. It does not look like that is the case.

This is what I think too

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
After 14 days if I didn’t like it I might consider selling rather than returning.
Just as long as it goes to a good home

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.