Are you left or right handed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fazzy, Jan 15, 2012.

?

Left or right handed?

1. Left handed

52 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Right handed

83 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Only 10 percent of the population is left handed, so this should be reflected in the poll. However, more creative people tend to be lefties, and I've seen quite a few creative types on MR. Lets see how this goes..:)

2. blesio macrumors regular

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm ambidextrous, however I usually write & use a mouse with my right hand. Most other things are done with my left hand.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What's the definition? I write with my left hand but use mouse with my right hand use eat right handed.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, the OP should have Fully Ambidextrous and Partially Ambidextrous as options.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thats exaclty what I was about to say :p

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm right handed, but there are a few things I naturally do with my left (Not writing, using a mouse, etc).

I type much better with only my left hand than with only my right hand (My right hand sometimes rests on the mouse while I'm typing).

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The typing thing is because the QWERTY layout (assuming you're using the QWERTY layout) is left-hand dominant, and more things can be done with the left hand on it than the right hand. More words can be made using the left hand only than the right.

11. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That may be why. But sometimes I do just not use my right hand when it's on the mouse, and jump around with my left. I'm also assuming that helps towards it :p .

Also another one: When eating something that will be placed into my mouth (Such as a pill, a piece of bubblegum, etc) I can't use my left hand for it. When holding something to eat (Such as a burrito, or taco, etc) I will mainly use my left hand.

13. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

I'm a lefty. I'm surprised there are so many here.

14. And macrumors 6502

And

A self-selecting sample will not yield a representative sample.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This usually happens because lefties think they have more reason to vote, whereas righties know they are the majority and may hence skip the thread.

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It's gonna get biased results, because lefties will feel more inclined to vote as they may feel "special".

I remember reading one of those stupid random facts in a book ages ago that said people who are left handed live 25 years less on average than right handed people. I don't believe it for one second but that's what it said.

17. Nick16 macrumors regular

Except using different hands for different things isn't what being ambidextrous is; it's being able to do things equally well with both hands.

For example, I write, eat and brush my teeth with my left-hand, whereas I use my right hand for strength, e.g. lifting things, punching, etc. This doesn't make me ambidextrous. If I was ambidextrous, I'd be able to write equally well with both hands, etc.

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Righty. I few days ago I had an assignment in art class that required us to draw a random thing around the classroom (I chose a wrench..thing) and if I didn't already know what it was (well, looked like originally) then I would have no idea.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm a conflicted right-hander.

I mouse right so I have to beer left, but I have touch-typed for over 1/2 a Century, so my left hand is put to work. :confused:

I also taught myself to not switch utensils while eating, as most people in North America do. An affectation born because of a scene an old WWII movie. ;)

20. Happybunny, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I can use both left and right for every thing except writing.
    In the 1950's in Dutch schools you were NOT allowed to write with your left hand.:(

21. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985