Are you more pleased with 3GS quality control over 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jun 26, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I am. The first one I received has no sharp edges on the bezel, no light leak, good vibration, speaker, and LCD screen, the switch seems sturdy.

No complaints at all really. But I've seen plenty of the demo units on the floor of the Apple store with crappy screens and of questionable quality, so maybe I just lucked out for a change.

Discuss!

2. Eallan macrumors 6502

Hell no.

Quality control on all the iPhones has been less than stellar to be nice.

Yellow screens, cracks, uneven bezels, light leaks. It's a shame really, I know these things are nigh unavaoidable, but it sucks on a what $800 device?

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah i agree you should definitely get a more consistent product, I know coming from 2G and 3G. 2G was the most consistent but most of the screens were crap and plagued with negative black.

There's still cases of light leak with 3GS?

4. chox99 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Dust under the screen, cracked case, light leaks, internal rattle just name a few. I really miss my 2G build quality. Sigh

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Are you referring to your 3G or 3G?

6. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Yes, I have been very happy with mine so far.

7. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

If we want better quality control, we must DEMAND better quality control. But, I see so many fan boys rush to defend APPLE blindly. I think APPLE really should pay them.

8. rfrankl macrumors 6502

9. AmeliaO macrumors newbie

10. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Apple has dropped the both since the original iPhone in terms of quality. I've had a total of four iPhone 3G's and I'm about to get my second 3GS.

I've been plagued with light leakage issues and cracked plastic housings. It's ridiculous.

11. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I would be more than willing to pay a higher premium to get a super high quality product, this is why I loved the original phone

12. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Oh for christ's sake. Just because you had a few issues does not mean that others who have not are "fanboys" who want to defend apple blindly. I have what I would consider a very good quality iphone. The only bitch I have is that AT&T's service SUCKS. I have at least 3 dead zones between my house and work. When I was with Alltel, I NEVER, i mean NEVER had issues with dropped calls or dead zones.

13. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

My 3G and 3G S have been perfect.

I couldn't be happier with both of them. And I'm not an :apple: fan boy.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My 3GS has excellent quality. I'm sure I just got lucky though.

15. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Good for you. Then, mind your own business when others who HAVE issues voice up.

I consider those who say things like, "Don't buy it if you don't like it." "Who's forcing you to buy?" FANBOYS in a very negative sense.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My 3GS is perfect. I have absolutely no complaint. However, I wouldn't say that its any better than my 3G was. I never had any issues with my 3G, never had to go to the genius bar or anything. So I'd say I'm par for the course.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Agree 110%. I consider the statement bolded above to be the most lazy, cookie-cutter, rude response that is grossly overused in these forums.

Nobody's forcing anybody on anything. Nobody's forcing you to make stupid comments either, so go somewhere. We're paying a pretty high premium not just for the phone but for the service that goes with it. I think we have all the right in the world to voice our concerns and discontents.

Thanks for listening (reading).

18. Shabbis macrumors regular

My release day 2G was perfect, not a single issue with it.

My release day 3GS has been perfect so far.

19. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I dont own an iphone 3gs so I am only speaking on what Ive read on the forums, but it would seem like the build quality for the new release is pretty poor in comparison to the older models. Definitely not a scientific study. I have had my iphone 3G for some time and it is in mint condition, despite the fact I don't baby it. Hmmm

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I was pretty satisfied with my iPhone 3GS when I first got it- no damage (my first iPhone 3G and the replacement I used afterwards came fairly damaged), great screen (my first iPhone 3G had an inferior screen, compared to the store models), until I noticed this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=732238

I guess I'll have to try again. That's a weird problem, but quality control does seem better overall. It's still not as good as it should be. Quality control for the first iPhone was much, much better than either.

21. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

mine is perfectly ok

I'd be pissed if mine had yellow tint
    but people bitching about sharp edges... come on. It doesn't really affect your use does it?
    I know it costs a lot and you'd expect perfection but at the same time you are getting customer service like no other

but i do believe they should give you an exchange if there's are problems that affects the function. like yellow tint and bad speakers

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Werd. I just installed an Invisibleshield on it as I intend to keep this phone in perfect condition.

23. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

My 3GS makes a loud rattle when I shake it up and down.
    :(

24. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Mine is perfect. No light leak, dead pixels, dust under the screen or cracks in the case. To me this is improved quality over the 3G I had that exhibited all of these problems almost right out of the box.

25. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Having experience with the manufacturing business, seeing the kinds of problems people are experiencing with the 3G and 3GS makes me wonder where else Apple cuts corners. These issues are absolutely inexcusable -- they would be so, so easy to prevent with a better QC program at the factory. Then again, manufacturing in Asia is a completely different world than it is in the US.

We couldn't have domestic manufacturing hurting Apple's precious bottom line, now could we? :mad: